Windows 10: Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

Discus and support Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have been using BitLocker for a long time now and in conjunction with Windows 10 for 3 months and today something weird happened. When I tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tzuik, Oct 14, 2015.

1. tzuik Win User

Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

Hello, I have been using BitLocker for a long time now and in conjunction with Windows 10 for 3 months and today something weird happened. When I tried to insert my password at boot, when I pressed the Shift key in combination with any other key, it inserted tens of characters at once. Valid with any character I press while Shift is also pressed. I tried a different keyboard, same result. I removed Bitlocker and reinstalled it, same result. Reboots, etc. I tried it all.

Now the only way to input the password is to press Insert so I can see the characters, press CapsLock for the capital letters and delete all the additional 30+ characters that appear when shift is pressed.
    Has anyone come across such a thing? Is there a fix to it?

Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field [​IMG]

Thanks,

:)

tzuik, Oct 14, 2015
  2. tufkal Win User

BitLocker key repeat when using shift.

On a fresh re-install last night, on the first reboot after enabling BitLocker I encountered something strange. When entering my password at boot, the entire password field box filled with stars very fast. By pressing 'insert' to see what I was typing,
    it showed the key I had pressed over and over again 20+ times.

I rebooted a few times, and tried a few things, and it is reproducible. Any time you are holding down shift, and press a key, it acts like that key was held down. If you are not holding shift, it types fine. I did a install a few weeks ago on this exact
    same hardware and did not have this issue.

It looks like I'm not the only one either: Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Any help?

tufkal, Oct 14, 2015
  3. AGT4 Win User
    Inputting and IME password for Wifi not allowed?

My friend's wifi password requires Japanese IME characters to join. However language input does not allow you to directly input these characters. I have tried to copy paste the password too but it does not work either. It simply gets instantly declined as
    "The network security key is incorrect".

Using multiple laptops on Windows 10.

4. Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

Same here... it started a few days ago after a win 10 update... i bet MS pushed an updated to bitlocker that causes it... no solution found by me so far except the one you have with the insert key... (and to get things more interesting i have connected my HDMI to my TV and the DP cable to the monitor and the Nvidia bios selects the hdmi output on boot so i have to switch the tv on to see the error and remove the extra characters) i have tried with 2 different keyboards and the issue is still there. if you find a solution please share it *Smile

peshetoman, Oct 15, 2015
  5. tufkal Win User
    Had this happen to me last night as well, never seen it before. On a fresh install, new hardware. I'll be trying again tonight, we'll see if a fix has come through before then.

tufkal, Oct 18, 2015
  6. tzuik Win User
    I have made a BIOS update today and by magic the problem disappeared. So you could try that, my MB is Gigabyte H77-DS3H and even if it already had the latest version, I wrote it again to the chip. So in my case it is solved.

tzuik, Oct 24, 2015
  7. ppilihp Win User
    Let me just add my case here. I have the same issue with USB keyboards while entering the Bitlocker password: One Shift+Letter keystroke produces 30+ characters. MB is an ASrock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer (BIOS: 1.60; Jan. 14th, 2016); Win 10 Pro latest upgrades installed. In Windows applications the same keyboards work without issues. I had to go back to my old PS2 keyboard to enter the Bitlocker password.

ppilihp, Jan 16, 2016
  8. tzuik Win User

Have you tried my workaround to rewrite the BIOS? Also, if you remove Bitlocker from your drive and do a clean Windows 10 install then put back Bitlocker it should work as well.
    Best of luck,

tzuik, Jan 17, 2016
  9. ppilihp Win User
    Yes, it's the most up to date BIOS available for my board (released only a few days ago). I'd rather not wipe my system since I think it's a software bug and I am not willing to waste one or two days to reset my system. I guess I'll just use my PS2 keyboard at login until there is a fix.

Thanks anyway.

ppilihp, Jan 17, 2016
  10. tzuik Win User
    This is why I'm asking about the BIOS, maybe this happened because of the update you made.Roll back to a previous version, see if it works that way then put back the latest one. If problem reappears, it's clearly a BIOS bug, like in my initial case.

tzuik, Jan 17, 2016
  11. ppilihp Win User
    The BIOS update was what I did after I found your post here *Wink

So the previous 1.50 version had this issue and now the brand new version has it, too.

I'm wondering if the bug is caused by Microsoft's Bitlocker or by the BIOS software, since the keyboards work, once Windows is started. The keyboards themselves are pretty much out of my focus since both are made by completely different manufactures and one was very cheap and the other one pretty expensive.

But thanks again for your suggestions! Much appreciated.

ppilihp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field - Similar Threads - Bitlocker inputs multiple

2. Character repeats automatically forever in all input fields randomly.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Character repeats automatically forever in all input fields randomly.: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-area-automatically-filled-with-character-6/ea1b9b06-869a-45b2-96c7-7d86d2f78f78 is an old post that clearly states a problem I am having. Many more posts all the way back to 2016 are similar. No one has ever posted a...
  3. Character repeats automatically forever in all input fields randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Character repeats automatically forever in all input fields randomly.: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-area-automatically-filled-with-character-6/ea1b9b06-869a-45b2-96c7-7d86d2f78f78 is an old post that clearly states a problem I am having. Many more posts all the way back to 2016 are similar. No one has ever posted a...
  4. Character repeats automatically forever in all input fields randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters: Hello. Since this morning impossible to login to my Windows10 desktop machine. The password field on the login screen auto-fills immediately with black dots for one account and with +++ characters for the second. Using another keyboard / mouse gives the same...
  6. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters: Hello. Since this morning impossible to login to my Windows10 desktop machine. The password field on the login screen auto-fills immediately with black dots for one account and with +++ characters for the second. Using another keyboard / mouse gives the same...
  7. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Language input doesn't match typed characters in some fields

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language input doesn't match typed characters in some fields: I have two language inputs in my keyboard settings: "English United States - US" and "Japanese - Microsoft IME." However, in most fields/web pages etc. in this field, for instance, I can't switch to Japanese/kana characters because IME is "disabled." What is required to...
  9. Characters change in password field on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Characters change in password field on lock screen: I have a unique issue that I have been living with for a long time, but am determined to resolve now. I am using Windows 10, and on the lock screen, since I built the computer, I have always had an issue with the password field changing my characters. I have tried with both...
  10. Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking: Hello I've run into a little problem with bitlocker password length. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 256 characters for the recovery password so I generated such a password via keepass. The bitlocker UI obviously had no problem with this. After restarting the system...
Tags: