Windows 10: Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

Discus and support Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have two PCs, one with Windows Pro and one with Windows Home You can only set up and configure Bitlocker on Pro. I have an external SSD which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

I have two PCs, one with Windows Pro and one with Windows Home

You can only set up and configure Bitlocker on Pro. I have an external SSD which I encrypted with Bitlocker.

I selected the Auto Unlock feature when connecting the SSD to my Windows Home PC, and as you can't manage Bitlocker on Windows Home, it seems that it's impossible to turn off the auto unlock. I tried the cmd method but it says the option is not available.

Any solution to this? Or will Microsoft give me Pro on my second PC?

submitted by /u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice, Jan 6, 2020

2. Enable Bitlocker auto-unlock without system drive encryption

1. turn off bitlocker on the drive you want to auto-unlock
    2. mount this drive as a removable drive
      i.e plug it into a usb attached drive unit such as StarTech or many others
    3. boot the system and bitlock the drive and turn on auto-unlock
    4. shutdown the system
    5. mount the drive as a permanent drive
    6. reboot the system and the drive will auto-unlock because windows now thinks
      that it is a removable drive

Works For Me with no problems

user895068, Jan 6, 2020
  3. mike1899 Win User
    Turning on Bitlocker's auto-unlock on partitioned drive

I have Windows 10 Pro running on a 500GB hard drive which is partitioned into C: for Windows programs and D: where I keep my documents. I want to secure my documents and personal files from unauthorized access.

Anyone with a Linux bootable USB stick can boot a computer from the USB stick and then access all files on the hard drive. To prevent this I have used Bitlocker to encrypt my D: drive. The drive now cannot be accessed if laptop is booted externally.

I now want to turn on "auto-unlock", so that when I boot into Windows through the laptops' Window OS the D: drive is automatically unlocked. When I select "turn on auto-unlock" on the Bitlocker Drive Encryption screen I get the error message "The operating
    system drive is not protected by Bitlocker Drive Encryption."

Why will it not allow me auto unlock the drive?

Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock 6fa64bb4-2463-4748-b5f0-772a379a25df.png

mike1899, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

Auto-unlock BitLocker "for this user"

I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro, fully updated. There are several other users on this PC.
    Recently, I purchased an external hard disk to back up my “personal” files.
    When I used BitLocker to encrypt the HD I learned that the feature I tried to use didn’t work as I thought.
    I wanted to set BitLocker to “auto-unlock FOR THIS USER ONLY” and not have the HD files available to the other users.
    Instead, it auto-unlocks “FOR THIS PC” and everyone has access to it.
    And it remains unlocked even if I sign out; I must either turn off the PC or restart it when I am through.
    Worse, this is true even if I don’t use the auto-unlock feature!
    I could buy a third-party program to lock my files on the HD, but then why have BitLocker?
    Any ideas?

Microsoft, are you listening?

Woodstockjohn, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

1. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock - Similar Threads - Bitlocker insanity cannot

2. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker not auto unlocking: So, we have many systems about 15 of them in which we have a removable device USB that is encrypted by Bitlocker. We have set the system up so that the drive auto unlocks. However, if the OS is rebooted the drive will not auto unlock. I have even tried running the power shell...
  3. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker not auto unlocking: So, we have many systems about 15 of them in which we have a removable device USB that is encrypted by Bitlocker. We have set the system up so that the drive auto unlocks. However, if the OS is rebooted the drive will not auto unlock. I have even tried running the power shell...
  4. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Cannot enable BitLocker's auto unlock on system volume.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot enable BitLocker's auto unlock on system volume.: Greetings.I need to enable auto unlock of BitLocker on multiple devices. But for some reason on some devices different models i can only enable it for non-system disk "Disk D". When it comes to system disk "Disk C" i just don't have this option, it's either password-unlock or...
  6. BitLocker Auto-Unlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker Auto-Unlock: I want to have BitLocker enabled, but I want to turn on auto-unlock so I don’t have to continuously enter my BitLocker password. I’ve seen some systems with this setting in Manage BitLocker, but I do not see it on mine. Does anyone know why I don’t see it? Also is there...
  7. Bitlocker Cannot Be Turned Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker Cannot Be Turned Off: Hello I Have SSD Encrypted With Bitlocker ,I need to turn bitlocker encryption off but I get error message devise is not functioning I've tried cmd and power shell , nothing works anyone has a solution [ATTACH]...
  8. Bitlocker insanity - Auto-unlock feature on Windows Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker insanity - Auto-unlock feature on Windows Home: I have 2 laptops Laptop 1 = Windows Pro - encrypted an external SSD with bitlocker and set a password Connected the SSD to Laptop 2 - Windows Home. Ticked auto-unlock. If it lets you auto unlock it'll let you turn it off later right? No!!!!!!! My SSD is now accessible...
  9. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can turn BitLocker Auto-unlock for fixed or removable Data Drives, on or off using BitLocker Manager, Command Prompt, and PowerShell. In this post, we will show you how you can enable or disable auto-unlock for a fixed or removable [...] This post Turn...
  10. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the removable data drive (such as an external hard drive...