Windows 10: Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

Discus and support Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My Win-10 laptop was booting up slowly and I did something stupid - I powered it down. There wasn't an update during the night before and I didn't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EEngineer41, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

My Win-10 laptop was booting up slowly and I did something stupid - I powered it down. There wasn't an update during the night before and I didn't notice one upon boot, though I got distracted for maybe 15 seconds.

Upon the reboot, Bitlocker recognized my password but the machine was so slow that I could not log into Win-10. Wondering if I had messed up a UEFI update, I updated the UEFI/BIOS. After that, Bitlocker would not recognize my drive password. It also will not accept the 48-digit "Recovery Key" for the OS drive or separate data drive.

I have tried:

1. running system diagnostics - even the extended tests - within the UEFI/BIOS, and they all pass
    2. using Win-10 recovery to get a command prompt. I am unable to unlock the drive using manage-bde with the 48-digit "Recovery Key."
    3. using "manage-bde -status c:" and it is locked with key protectors of "Numerical Password" and "External Key"
    4. using "manage-bde -protectors -disable C:" but the volume is still locked
    5. entering into factory reset with the recovery partition to re-load a fresh version of Win-10. But I cannot delete or format the drive since it is locked. So the software will not allow me to re-write a fresh Windows-10 OS over it.
    6. running "bootrec /fixboot" in case I corrupted the boot files, but received an "Access is denied" message

What can I do? Thankfully, my data is backed up. My next step is to perform a "Factory Reset." If that doesn't work - would replacing the internal OS hard drive work - or is the problem elsewhere?

Thanks for you time,

EEngineer41

:)

EEngineer41, Feb 6, 2021
  2. DaiBell Win User

Bitlocker passwords don't work with certain symbols but accepted

Has anyone else come across this problem? I used the symbols '/' and '#' within a Bitlocker password to allow the user to avoid using the shift key. These symbols were accepted as a password change. At the next login the password was refused as it was 'incorrect'.
    I had to use the Recovery key to get in and change the password again. Bitlocker says you can use symbols and doesn't list exceptions; this sounds like a nice Bitlocker 'bug'?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Power on or off a device]

DaiBell, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Green1967 Win User
    Bitlocker will not accept password or Recovery Key

I am trying to access my hard drive , But my recovery key and password are not being accepted

by bitlocker.

This Recovery key was sent to me when setting up the bitlocker, But now says it's a invalid key

Is there a problem with this software as its not accepting my recovery key Or password.

Can this bitlocker be reset so that it Can accept my recover key.

Any help please.Alan

Green1967, Feb 6, 2021
  4. edray Win User

Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

I guess I end up solving my own question since no responses were forthcoming from this forum:

ISSUE CLARIFIED:
    To clarify the issue, the problem is Bitlocker not correctly recognizing and validating a password phrase at the PRE-BOOT phase of the encryption process.

This means the user entered a correct eight alpha numeric char minimum in the simplest case (no mixture of upper/lower or special chars complexity), that was accepted as an OK password during the setup part of the encryption process but once windows is restarted for the first time to initiate the encryption process, it does not recognize the previously accepted password to start the encryption process.

This happens even though the entered password is EACTLY the SAME one Bitlocker was OK with when the user previously set it up INSIDE windows.

This anomaly seems to affect the BitLocker app ONLY if the pass word validation is attempted from OUTSIDE of windows AKA during the PRE-BOOT phase part of the process.

If the user entered windows successfully and from there attempted to activate an encrypted drive, a correctly entered password phrase would be accepted and validated by BitLocker REGARDLESS of the keyboard utilized.

PROBLEM PINPOINTED/DISCOVERED:

The problem was that there is an incompatibility between the Bit Locker app and many wireless mini keyboards that do NOT have an F12 key. These keyboards do NOT seem to have a problem with any other windows 10 app that use keyboard entries or with any other whole drive encryption programs during the password validation process (tried the password validation part successfully with four other encryption programs)

THE RESOLUTION:

Many of these wireless mini keyboards that don’t have an F12 key, necessitate the activation of a specific key such as F7 or the num-lock key BEFORE the password phrase entry is accepted and successfully validated by BitLocker. ONLY then, would Bit Locker detect and validate the correct passwords.

ALTERNATE SOLUTIONS:
    a. The use of a standard size wireless or wired keyboard OR the use of a wireless mini keyboard that HAS an F12 key if the encryption program to be used is Bitlocker .
    b. The use of a different encryption program

Hopefully this can help some other poor soul that runs into this very insidious problem yet virtually no one out there knows how to resolve.

edray, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

1. Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password - Similar Threads - Bitlocker longer accepting

2. Unable to log in to laptop as password no longer accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to log in to laptop as password no longer accepted.: HP Laptop Serial No 5CG9418V45User: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Password: links2020Unable to log in to the above laptop as pin/password is no longer available. The above user and password worked up until February 2023 but no longer does. I cannot access...
  3. Unable to log in to laptop as password no longer accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to log in to laptop as password no longer accepted.: HP Laptop Serial No 5CG9418V45User: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Password: links2020Unable to log in to the above laptop as pin/password is no longer available. The above user and password worked up until February 2023 but no longer does. I cannot access...
  4. Unable to log in to laptop as password no longer accepted.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Password not accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password not accepted: My correct password is not accepted, also PIN not available error, trying to reset, comes back to same screen asking for password, trued to use command prompt or any troubleshooting asks for password. Suddenly I see 23 users in recorvery option to save files. The Gmail...
  6. Password not accepted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password not accepted: My correct password is not accepted, also PIN not available error, trying to reset, comes back to same screen asking for password, trued to use command prompt or any troubleshooting asks for password. Suddenly I see 23 users in recorvery option to save files. The Gmail...
  7. Environment password is no longer accepted

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Environment password is no longer accepted: Het wachtwoord voor een locale omgeving wordt niet meer geaccepteerd. (Numlock, taalkeuze etc al gecontroleerd) Wel kan ik via een microsoftaccount op de laptop komen. Als ik dan naar gebruikersaccount surf om daar het betreffende account te wijzigen kom ik op hetzelfde...
  8. BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.: I was removing bit locker password by decrypting it but suddenly it starts not responding and program closed then I restart my pc and try to unlock external hard drive but when I enter correct password and recovery key it says "Password entered is incorrect." What to do...
  9. Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format: Hello, I was having windows 10 on my Dell laptop and there were bitlocker password on my drives. However Iformatted my OS without unlocking the drives. And now I installed windows 10 pro, and now I am unable to unlock the drives which were protected by bitlocker. Is there...
  10. Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords: I am not sure if this is the right place to post bitlocker issues but I was not able to find any forum titled encryption apps or similars so I have placed it here ====================================================== I have attempted to use BitLocker to encrypt a bootable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker password not accepted after installing another version of windows 10