Windows 10: BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login

Discus and support BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My BitLocker is on but, I do not get asked to enter a password or PIN before my user name comes up with a place to enter my PIN. How do I set it up so... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Renee}, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Renee} Win User

BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login

My BitLocker is on but, I do not get asked to enter a password or PIN before my user name comes up with a place to enter my PIN. How do I set it up so that it is encrypted and I need to enter a PIN or password before the system boots up? My service Tag is 6RHX7N2

:)

Renee}, Oct 17, 2018

2. How to input pre-boot password for Bitlocker by fingerprintreader

Hi,

I have Bitlocker installed on my Windows 10 64bit Pro version and setup with a pre-boot password

This screen: https://ibb.co/dvqViR

I can only input the combined PIN by keyboard.

I have a fingerprint reader installed on my computer, which is full able to login to windows (I could set it up that way and its working).

How can I set up the pre-boot Bitlocker password to enter it by fingerprint reader?

Now I have to use keyboard on first password and fingerprint reader on login to windows screen, I wanna use only fingerprint reader.

Thank you!

Marek_12345, Oct 17, 2018
  3. berlodo Win User
    Including Bitlocker Pre-Provisioning

Hi @Kari,

That was an awesome Tutorial, exactly what I've been looking for !

I have been doing a bit of experimenting and found that a slight modification to your procedure can be used to pre-provision Bitlocker encryption, as long as the machine has a TPM chip present and activated on the motherboard. This pre-provisioning, if successful, could save a few hours as compared to configuring it post-install.
    Note: all of the following worked on Win 10 Enterprise x64 1709 on both an old Laptop (non-UEFI, non-Secure Boot e.g. a 10 year old Dell Latitude E4200 ) and a modern desktop (Dell Optiplex 5040 w UEFI and Secure Boot).
    All that's needed is to insert a step between 2.6 and 2.7 which would check if the destination drive is encryptable, and, if it is then enable encryption of used space. Because the 'used space' at that point is almost zero it gets encrypted almost instantaneously. But, because the drive is now encrypted, anything that DISM adds to the drive gets encrypted on the fly ! End result is that when the installation is finished the drive is encrypted with Bitlocker and just needs a 'protector' (e.g. TPM and PIN) added ..

Here's what worked for me ....
    - just after step 2.6, check that G: drive is actually encryptable (this also checks the BIOS, TPM activated etc.)
    run command 'manage-bde -status' (if that lists the volume as encryptable, then we're good to go to next ..)
    run command 'manage-bde -on G: -used' (that turns on bitlocker for the drive, and should finish after a few seconds ...... just wait a few seconds and verify that another 'manage-bde -status' now shows 100%)
    - .. now proceed to step 2.7

At the end of the installation and after first bootup and logon you should see a little yellow triangle as well as an unlock icon on the drive, showing it's encrypted but with a 'clear protector' ...... then just need to add a protector, like TPM and PIN e.g. 'manage-bde -protectors -add c: -TPMAndPIN' where you will be prompted for PIN, and if all goes well, will be prompted to enter PIN in order for machine to boot up.

berlodo, Oct 17, 2018
  4. BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but maybe i missed something. Help please.

xBrokenxSoulx, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login

1. BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login - Similar Threads - BitLocker need pre

2. How does BitLocker protect my PC without pre-boot password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does BitLocker protect my PC without pre-boot password?: I just encrypted my system drive with BitLocker and was expecting to see a prompt for setting a password which will enable me to go through on the PC boot. But it never happened. I tried to reboot my PC to see how BitLocker is going to protect my PC. But nothing of this sort...
  3. How does BitLocker protect my PC without pre-boot password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does BitLocker protect my PC without pre-boot password?: I just encrypted my system drive with BitLocker and was expecting to see a prompt for setting a password which will enable me to go through on the PC boot. But it never happened. I tried to reboot my PC to see how BitLocker is going to protect my PC. But nothing of this sort...
  4. Pre-boot BitLocker password typing affected by TPM?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Pre-boot BitLocker password typing affected by TPM?: I wish I encountered normal problems, but no. I expect this will be another one that no one can explain... I have been using my Win10 system for well over a year now. I only just enabled the TPM in the BIOS, to check if my system is Win11 compatible (it is). My BIOS version...
  5. How to disable the pre-login screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to disable the pre-login screen?: I want to disable the pre-login screen, the screen that appears "before" entering your password. I think it is a waste of time to click away that screen every single time. Please note that I am talking about the useless screen displaying an image before the screen you type in...
  6. BitLocker setup without Pre-Boot pin

BitLocker setup without Pre-Boot pin: I wanted to setup Bitlocker to boot up without the need of using the pin but yet wanted the recovery key to be hosted onto Active Directory. How can I achieve this?...
  7. Switching to black BitLocker pre-boot screen

Switching to black BitLocker pre-boot screen: On my previous Windows 10 PC, I enabled a setting that switched from the standard blue BitLocker screen to a plain-text black BitLocker screen. I have a new PC and want to do this again, but I can't remember how to do it. Can anyone tell me? The screen I'm talking about is...
  8. Pre login Wifi username format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pre login Wifi username format: Have previously used pre logon wifi with "single sign on for this network" and"Perform immediately before user logon". However the new wireless network I am trying to connect to requires the username to be presented in a different format. i.e. not<username> but...
  9. Bitlocker - Pre Boot Password - alpha, numeric, special characters

Bitlocker - Pre Boot Password - alpha, numeric, special characters: I am only able to setup Bitlocker to use a numeric PIN for pre boot authentication. How can I setup Bitlocker to require a password using alpha, numeric, special characters for pre boot authentication?...
  10. Disable Pre-Login picture

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Disable Pre-Login picture: Win 10 pro, latest updates Hi, My machine has no password prompt at startup. Ive eliminated the pretty picture page at boot and would like do the same at sign in/out. In fact, since I am the only user, id like to bypass the sign-in page as well, including at startup...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new bitlocker not requiring preboot pin

2. asked to enter bitlocker password at login

3. does bitlocker need a pre boot screen