Windows 10: Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive

Discus and support Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Home and my external drive, I use for backup, suddenly requires a BitLocker password. BitLocker is not even installed on this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaveGeske, Mar 6, 2020.

1. DaveGeske Win User

Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive

I am using Windows 10 Home and my external drive, I use for backup, suddenly requires a BitLocker password. BitLocker is not even installed on this computer. I have no idea how it got locked. For a while when I got it, I would just unplug the drive and plug it back in and it would be fine. Now I can't access the drive at all.

I have looked all over the internet to find solutions, tried Manage-bde to get a key and none of them worked. Get-BitLockerVolume through Windows PowerShell didn't help. There is no BitLocker Application to open. I have tried every password I can think of.

I didn't put BitLocker on this drive. I didn't even know what it was until this problem happen.

Anyone have any suggestions?

:)

DaveGeske, Mar 6, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive

1. Bitlocker is suddenly activated on my external Hard drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker suddenly activated

2. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  3. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  4. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...
  5. Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive: Recently bought an external hard drive and wanted to use bitlocker go to password protect it. I plugged the hard drive into my laptop through a usb 3.0 connection and it appears in my file explorer just fine. However, when go into "manage bitlocker" it does not appear in the...
  6. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  7. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  8. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows professional Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063. The external drive was encrypted using this system (the same I am reporting now) and...
  9. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...
  10. External Hard Drive suddenly not accepting files

External Hard Drive suddenly not accepting files: I have a brand new external hard drive "Samsung" Model # HX-M202TCB/G M3 Portable 2TB. Was working great, I started to download external music files to it, everything was going fine, then suddenly the drive just stopped accepting files. (still 98% free) Was getting I/O...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker activated itself on external harddrive