Windows 10: Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

Discus and support Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tonka NL, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Tonka NL Win User

Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka.

:)

Tonka NL, Dec 16, 2021
  2. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

1. Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    2. usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    3. clicked on save
    4. ONE bek key created on USB drive
    5. Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    6. USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    7. Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    8. clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

kevvyb, Dec 16, 2021
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 16, 2021
  4. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

Just worked out what it is. There is a bek key for StartUp and a bek key for Recovery. A bit confusing as there is also a 'BitLocker Recovery Key' (different format to bek Recovery key)....???

Can anyone shed any further light?

UPDATE:
    Must be that the system partition requires both startup and recovery .bek keys.

The data partition appears to only have one .bek key, presumably a recovery key.

The encryption of both system and data partitions has created just one BitLocker Recovery Key in a text file for each partition.

kevvyb, Dec 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker USB startup

2. Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key: We have turned our laptop on today and it is asking for the Bitlocker recovery key, we do not have this recovery key and we have checked our Microsoft account, after checking on the internet it seems there is no way to get past this screen without the relevant key, as this is...
  3. BitLocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker recovery key: I was trying to switch back to windows 10 from 11 and now it is prompting me for a bitlocker recovery key, does anyone know how to get this? When I go to my microsoft account and search devices it tells me I am at the wrong URL?...
  4. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?: Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka....
  5. Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup: I am always asked for my bitlocker recovery key when my Win 10 PC boots. I do knpw my recovery code and when I enter it, the boot continues normally. I would like to eliminate the need to enter my recovery code every time, so please tell me how to eliminate it....
  6. Bitlocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key: Kindly help me in getting my bitlocker recovery key as i forgot the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key/a2c562b4-ba74-4d9b-8caa-bd6043d07cd7
  7. The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?

The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?: Hi, if I need to restart my pc in safe mode and I need Bitlocker recovery key, it's the same as the product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-bitlocker-recovery-key-its-the-same-as-the/5be074de-5f22-4814-8f80-3e5d4cc5aa2e
  8. Bitlocker key or recovery key

Bitlocker key or recovery key: Help, i turned off my Dell computer a few hours later after a update i tried to reboot my compter but its asking for a bitlocker key or recovery key. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Dell support than microsoft support to no avail. They are both blaming the other while im...
  9. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...
  10. Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key: I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process. To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in...