Windows 10: Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot

Discus and support Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am having a very frustrating issue with windows 10, and thought I would see if anyone here could help. I have a 2018 Dell G5 15 gaming laptop, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Stewcooker, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot

I am having a very frustrating issue with windows 10, and thought I would see if anyone here could help.

I have a 2018 Dell G5 15 gaming laptop, and the other night I swapped out the 250gb solid state C: drive with a 1TB samsung NVMe drive. Before the swap, I created a system image on an external drive and a repair disc on a usb drive. I swapped the m.2 drives, rebooted, and restored from the system image. All good so far.

After finishing the restore, I noticed my secondary driven D:, was locked with bitlocker. I thought that was weird because I dont ever remember turning it on for that drive. I was able to unlock the drive with the same recovery key that was generated when I made the system image. However, every time I reboot my computer the D: drive is locked again, and I have to hunt down the key and enter it in again.

I've tried various things to turn it off, but I have encountered another problem: I cannot access bitlocker through the settings app. Everytime I click on the option that says "bitlocker" the settings app crashes to desktop. I have tried after numerous reboots but the same issue every time. I even tried disabling bitlocker from running at startup, but it didnt make a difference.

If anyone could help me out I would be most appreciative.

Edit for additional info: right-clicking on the drive in file-explorer does not offer an option to turn off bitlocker encryption for the drive

submitted by /u/Stewcooker
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Stewcooker, Sep 6, 2020

2. Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

Have rebooted my laptop (Dell G7) and drive D: (secondary) was not accessible until the Bitlocker Recovery Key was entered.

It appears to be treating this drive as external with a Drive Type of "SDV" and not internal. As in the manage this device section the secondary drive is not listed and only the primary drive C: is listed.

How do make this drive internal?

Neil3087AU, Sep 6, 2020
  3. camntx Win User
    Secondary drive locked with Bitlocker after factory reset

I had to perform a factory reset on my Dell Inspiron 17-1779 after Dell updates were installed. My machine has an SSD primary drive and a secondary SATA drive. I can not access the secondary drive after the reset because it is locked with Bitlocker. I
    have gone to oneDrive and get the message "You don't have any BitLocker recovery keys in your Microsoft account." When I go to the "more info" I get instructions like find where you wrote it down...I never wrote it down because I didn't activate it. I have
    never heard of Bitlocker before, and now I am having a nightmare!!! My secondary drive is where I backed up my documents and work!

I sincerely hope someone can help me!

camntx, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot

1. Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot - Similar Threads - Bitlocker keeps locking

2. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  3. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  4. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. D Drive has been locked by bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive has been locked by bitlocker: My D drive got locked by bitlocker and i don't have the recovery key or password. I have not set the bitlocker recovery key for my drive. The only recovery key I have is for my C drive on a flash drive. Can anyone help me with this....
  6. D Drive has been locked by bitlocker

D Drive has been locked by bitlocker: My D drive got locked by bitlocker and i don't have the recovery key or password. I have not set the bitlocker recovery key for my drive. The only recovery key I have is for my C drive on a flash drive. Can anyone help me with this....
  7. BitLocker: D: drive locked out after a reboot and the recovery key is not working !!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    BitLocker: D: drive locked out after a reboot and the recovery key is not working !!: My computer has 2 drivesC: > OS which is working fine now, the computer can boot into WindowsD: > Dataand q: drive which is a network drivepermission allowed to everyone, I can save any file to the locationtestedI tried to encrypt my D: drive please see the pictures below;It...
  8. BitLocker: D: drive locked out after a reboot and the recovery key is not working !!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker: D: drive locked out after a reboot and the recovery key is not working !!: My computer has 2 drivesC: > OS which is working fine now, the computer can boot into WindowsD: > Dataand q: drive which is a network drivepermission allowed to everyone, I can save any file to the locationtestedI tried to encrypt my D: drive please see the pictures below;It...
  9. BitLocker: D: drive locked out after a reboot and the recovery key is not working !!

10. Secondary drive locked with Bitlocker after factory reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secondary drive locked with Bitlocker after factory reset: I had to perform a factory reset on my Dell Inspiron 17-1779 after Dell updates were installed. My machine has an SSD primary drive and a secondary SATA drive. I can not access the secondary drive after the reset because it is locked with Bitlocker. I have gone to oneDrive...