Windows 10: BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update

Discus and support BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; HP updated BIOS which turned on BitLocker and locked and encrypted my drive. I never set up BitLocker so I don't have the key or a password. It is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by robertjames_55, Jun 28, 2020.

1. BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update

HP updated BIOS which turned on BitLocker and locked and encrypted my drive. I never set up BitLocker so I don't have the key or a password. It is not saved in my Microsoft account since I never set it up. BestBuy set up my laptop and transferred files from my old computer last November but they don't have the key. They claim the manufacturers are turning it on when they're shipped. HP states they don't have the key. HP has also stated it's a known problem with HP Envy laptops but they don't have a fix or workaround. Microsoft wasn't any help either. They claimed HP should have the code and of course they state they don't. So far the only advice I've gotten is I'll have to reload a fresh Windows 10 and will lose all my data files, which I'm trying to avoid. I've looked in the registry editor and there are things there for BitLocker. I didn't want to make any changes w/o knowing what they might do but on the other hand it's a doorstop now so I'm not sure how I could make it worse. Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?

:)

robertjames_55, Jun 28, 2020

2. Bitlocker Not Working After Windows 10 Update

I followed your suggestions and these did not resolve the problem.

I have found that Bitlocker stops working after I have relocked the drive using the command "manage-bde -lock -forcedismount d:" and the computer remains idle for some time. When I return and try to access the drive, it does not display the window to enter
    the password. There are instance of bdeunlock.exe listed in the Task Manager-->Details window however.

Everything was working fine until this latest update.

Any additional suggestions?

clarity comes when you see that life is a matrix, Jun 28, 2020
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 28, 2020
  4. BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update

Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update

1. BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update - Similar Threads - BitLocker locked drive

2. Bitlocker locked my drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker locked my drive: I have enabled Bitlocker on one of the fixed SSD drives I have on my computer and when I turned on the computer this morning, I see that the drive has been locked and it's asking me for the recovery password. I have unlocked but I would like to know what is causing Bilocker...
  3. Bitlocker locked my drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker locked my drive: I have enabled Bitlocker on one of the fixed SSD drives I have on my computer and when I turned on the computer this morning, I see that the drive has been locked and it's asking me for the recovery password. I have unlocked but I would like to know what is causing Bilocker...
  4. Bitlocker recovery after bios update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery after bios update: My Alienware M15 started an update today, and during restart, the bitlocker recovery screen popped up. I have not turned on bitlocker on this device, so there is no bitlocker code. I have the recovery ID, but that is it. How can I get passed this?...
  5. Bitlocker recovery after bios update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery after bios update: My Alienware M15 started an update today, and during restart, the bitlocker recovery screen popped up. I have not turned on bitlocker on this device, so there is no bitlocker code. I have the recovery ID, but that is it. How can I get passed this?...
  6. Bitlocker ask for Bitlocker key after BIOS update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker ask for Bitlocker key after BIOS update: This is the solution for people who dont access to the Bitlocker key on their microsoft account:Download the previous version of your laptop or computer BIOS, if you dont know which one was look for the current version and go back and use the bios flash utility with every...
  7. My Pc Locked by Bitlocker after automatic update windows 10 and BIOS update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Pc Locked by Bitlocker after automatic update windows 10 and BIOS update: HiI need helpMy laptop Locked by Bitlocker after applying automatic BIOS updateAfter applying the most recent BIOS update this morning the laptop is now completely locked by Bitlocker. I have never setup Bitlocker before and as such do not have the key to get past this. I...
  8. After resetting my computer that was locked by Bitlocker, the hard drive that was locked no...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After resetting my computer that was locked by Bitlocker, the hard drive that was locked no...: I finally decided to reset my computer which was locked by Bitlocker, without a key, and I did so by formatting the drives. However, after reinstalling Windows to my SSD, the main drive no longer shows up anywhere! I've checked in the BIOS, in disk management, and in the...
  9. My Drive is locked after Bitlocker encryption

My Drive is locked after Bitlocker encryption: Hello, I got a new Laptop Lenovo T490s running windows 10. After doing all the updates, I then run the Bitlocker encryption from command prompt. after which i restarted the Laptop. But now it wont boot, it get stuck at the boot menu screen I have tried booting on safe...
  10. Bitlocker locking my lenovo 720S-13IKB drive after a bios update

Bitlocker locking my lenovo 720S-13IKB drive after a bios update: Hello, So earlier this morning, my lenovo 720S-13IKB asked a bios update that I accepted not knowing that this issue will appear. Then there appeared a blue screen with bitlocker and asking me to insert a key. Key that I don't have, as I havent enabled this bitlocker. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker hp insydeh20