Windows 10: BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

Discus and support BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GaryLabandter, Dec 11, 2020.

1. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx

:)

GaryLabandter, Dec 11, 2020

2. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive

I am running Windows 10 pro and when I go into the policies they are listed as not configured. The hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive. I successfully used bitlocker on my internal hard drive 2 years ago so maybe the external
    drive is the issue?

DigitalSchism, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

1. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself - Similar Threads - BitLocker locked external

2. BitLocker has locked a hard drive from an old PC by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker has locked a hard drive from an old PC by itself: A few other ago I managed to salvage an old hard drive from a PC Win 11 that was flood damaged. I plugged it into the new PC also 11 OS, and it worked fine for weeks. Today, when I booted the PC up, BitLocker has locked the drive without any reason.I didn't even know what...
  3. BitLocker has locked a hard drive from an old PC by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker has locked a hard drive from an old PC by itself: A few other ago I managed to salvage an old hard drive from a PC Win 11 that was flood damaged. I plugged it into the new PC also 11 OS, and it worked fine for weeks. Today, when I booted the PC up, BitLocker has locked the drive without any reason.I didn't even know what...
  4. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  5. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  6. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  7. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  8. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It: Hi there, I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it. I don't know but there has been some technical glitch due to which the bitlocker lock is appearing on my external hard drive. Neither I nor anybody else turned on...
  9. I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.: Hi, I had never use Bitlocker and it locked my harddrive. When I want to unlock my hard drive I get an error: 'The BitLocker encryption on this drive is not compatible with your version of windows.' I use Windows 10 Pro v.10.0.18362 compilation 18362 Dell Latitude E5470...
  10. external hard drive is locked

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive is locked: I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive (c://). I now have several problems. A network path to this drive, appears to go through another external drive. E:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker locked my drive