Windows 10: Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

Discus and support Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Short explanation: I have a Dell notebook with two storage drives, one M.2 with Windows 10 Home installed, and a secondary drive for backup. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tehlegend1937, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

Short explanation:
    I have a Dell notebook with two storage drives, one M.2 with Windows 10 Home installed, and a secondary drive for backup. After formatting the primary drive and reinstalling Windows in it, my secondary drive started asking for a Bitlocker key. I already tried looking in https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey, I have several keys in there, but none of them work to unlock that drive. It doesn't give me the option to unlock using a password, just a key. Just to clarity, the Bitlocker I have is not that one that asks for password when you boot the computer, it ask the password when I try to open the drive in Windows Explorer.

I really need to unlock that drive, since I moved all my files in there before formatting the M.2 drive, I have work and college files in there and I am really really fucked if I lost that! And yes, I know how dumb I am for not having a backup.

Long explanation:
    It's a Dell G5 notebook, it was purchased with one M.2 and a HDD. Later, I replaced the HDD with a Samsung Evo SSD. Windows 10 Home (the original that came in the notebook) was always in the M.2 drive, and I haven't touched the Windows installation when I replaced the HDD with a SSD.

I remember enabling Bitlocker on this drive, I don't remember the exact steps I took to enable it, but I'm almost sure I set a password, and I'm not sure about the recovery key. Since I purchased the notebook, Windows was always logged in with the same Microsoft Account.

I tried using a Bitlocker recovery software, and it gave me some interesting informations:
    3:36:26 PM Volume: C Type: 3 Status: BitLocker
    3:36:26 PM Volume: D Type: 3 Status: BitLocker
    3:36:30 PM Trying to open volume: D:\
    3:36:30 PM Disk: 1, Sector Size: 512, Offset: 0x0000000001000000
    3:36:30 PM Type: 6, Offset: 0x0000000006b00000
    3:36:30 PM Volume GUID: {93B4E2AA-30FB-4D6E-A048-5F5467C34A3E}
    3:36:30 PM Encryption: 0x8004, Timestamp: 11/12/2020 3:08:19 PM
    3:36:30 PM Label (PC, Name, Date): DESKTOP-DN1N5VB Secondary 12/11/2020
    3:36:30 PM + Recovery Key, GUID: {0886EC2F-9241-4D72-A456-F5113B8D0ACB}, Timestamp: 11/12/2020 3:08:21 PM
    3:36:30 PM + Startup Key, GUID: {0921107C-6B39-4272-B0CA-8F44A8E248E7}, Timestamp: 11/12/2020 3:08:24 PM
    3:36:30 PM This Volume is NOT password protected (cannot be unlocked with a password).
    3:36:30 PM Recovery, Startup and TPM keys are 128+ bit random values and cannot be brute-forced.

Yeah so, 11/12/2020 matches the date I installed the SSD in the notebook.

Thanks everyone for your attention.

submitted by /u/tehlegend1937
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tehlegend1937, Mar 31, 2021

2. Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

Have rebooted my laptop (Dell G7) and drive D: (secondary) was not accessible until the Bitlocker Recovery Key was entered.

It appears to be treating this drive as external with a Drive Type of "SDV" and not internal. As in the manage this device section the secondary drive is not listed and only the primary drive C: is listed.

How do make this drive internal?

Neil3087AU, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Pedanka Win User
    Why primary mSata hard drive also BitLocker

Can someone explain why on a laptop if the secondary hard drive is using bitlocker it would also bitlock the primary mSata hard drive, that makes no sense to me,

I assumed only one hard drive would be affected if i lost my recovery key.

Pedanka, Mar 31, 2021
  4. Pedanka Win User

Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

Why primary mSata hard drive also BitLocker

Thanks for the reply, I probably didn't explain it properly, I had two hard drives in a laptop, the mSata was the primary hard drive, with the boot, and the sshd hard drive was used for storage, that drive was the one with bitlocker on it, when the drive failed or went into bitlocker mode with the lost recovery key, it seemed unusual that the primary mSATA drive would not boot normally, even removing the secondary hard drive still presented me with the recovery key screen.

So, that's what I find odd, why would a secondary hard drive affect a primary hard drive that isn't bitlocked, I assumed they would be separate or does bitlocker encrypt at a kernel level as well. They were two separate volumes, C: for the mSATA and volume D: for the drive that was encrypted.

I was just curious about the cross-over, thanks.

Pedanka, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

1. Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive. - Similar Threads - Bitlocker lost access

2. I lost access on my BitLocker drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I lost access on my BitLocker drive.: I need a live contributor to help me in the case of Lossing my access on my BitLocker drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-on-my-bitlocker-drive/d6bca078-7394-49a5-87af-ae323ee9e3b2
  3. I lost access on my BitLocker drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost access on my BitLocker drive.: I need a live contributor to help me in the case of Lossing my access on my BitLocker drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-on-my-bitlocker-drive/d6bca078-7394-49a5-87af-ae323ee9e3b2
  4. I lost access on my BitLocker drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I lost access on my BitLocker drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  7. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  8. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Format a bitlocked drive

Format a bitlocked drive: Hi Community, I have the following situation:I want to format a drive locked with bitlocker. I can boot the drive and use the laptop normally because I know the bitlocker key, but I dont remembrer neither the bitlocker recovery pass nor bios password, bios is blocking to boot...
  10. Secondary drive locked with Bitlocker after factory reset

Secondary drive locked with Bitlocker after factory reset: I had to perform a factory reset on my Dell Inspiron 17-1779 after Dell updates were installed. My machine has an SSD primary drive and a secondary SATA drive. I can not access the secondary drive after the reset because it is locked with Bitlocker. I have gone to oneDrive...