Windows 10: Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

Discus and support Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I was having windows 10 on my Dell laptop and there were bitlocker password on my drives. However Iformatted my OS without unlocking the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VidyaKamble, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

Hello,

I was having windows 10 on my Dell laptop and there were bitlocker password on my drives. However Iformatted my OS without unlocking the drives. And now I installed windows 10 pro, and now I am unable to unlock the drives which were protected by bitlocker.

Is there any solution to unlock my drives.

:)

VidyaKamble, Nov 4, 2020
  2. DaiBell Win User

Bitlocker passwords don't work with certain symbols but accepted

Has anyone else come across this problem? I used the symbols '/' and '#' within a Bitlocker password to allow the user to avoid using the shift key. These symbols were accepted as a password change. At the next login the password was refused as it was 'incorrect'.
    I had to use the Recovery key to get in and change the password again. Bitlocker says you can use symbols and doesn't list exceptions; this sounds like a nice Bitlocker 'bug'?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Power on or off a device]

DaiBell, Nov 4, 2020
  3. edray Win User
    Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

I am not sure if this is the right place to post bitlocker issues but I was not able to find any forum titled encryption apps or similars so I have placed it here
    ======================================================
    I have attempted to use BitLocker to encrypt a bootable win 10 pro (latest anniversary edition ver) drive on numerous occasions with a NON TPM group policy setup (“Require additional authentication at startup” setting has been enabled and the “allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM” option has been selected) which uses a USB drive or a password for drive entry after encryption is successful.

Unfortunately, I can never get to encrypt the drive because Bitlocker keeps on saying “incorrect password“ regardless of what VALID (and verified matched) password I setup with BitLocker. I have used 8 or more characters which included upper case chars, lowercase chars, numeric digits and even included non-alphanumeric chars like “$” etc.

I have also attempted very simple password cases like only using lower case chars and numbers etc. all without success. So basically, every conceivable valid password combination has been attempted.

These distinct simple and complex password iterations have been aligned with the following group policy selected options in order to make them acceptable to the Bitlocker system:

Within the group policy folders, I have set up the password policy for an operating system drive for a minimum length of 8 chars and have executed ALL the following distinct policy settings combinations:

[1] Enabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting and have set up the password complexity setting to be “Do not allow password complexity”.

[2] Did not configure the password policy.

[3] Disabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting.

I determined that executing any of the three cases above causes the “Password must meet complexity requirements” setting to be ignored EVEN if enabled. Therefore cases [1] through [3] cover “simple” password entry scenarios like entering only 8 lower case chars etc.

[4] Enabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting and set up the password complexity setting to be “allow password complexity” in a system without domain controllers (my single user PC system). In this case, the complexity of the password requirement format is dependent on the whether the “password must meet complexity requirements” is enabled or not.

In case [4] when the “password must meet complexity requirements” setting was enabled the Bitlocker system prompted to me to enter more complex password entries lower case chars and upper case chars, numerical digits and non-alphabetic char combinations (three out of the four categories are required)

[5] The selection of the password complexity setting to “Require password complexity” was not a valid choice because I am on a single user PC system and therefore there are NO domain controllers to interface. Attempting this just yields a Bitlocker “no domain controllers complaint” at the point one is setting their password etc.

Therefore, regardless of any or all of the group policy combinations previously specified and used in conjunction with my related valid password entries, Bitlocker never gets to the encryption stage because it ALWAYS states “INCORRECT PASSWORD”.

I am hoping someone else has previously run into this very annoying case when setting up Bitlocker for a whole operating system drive encryption and can give me some guidance for resolution since in this password rejection state, you pretty much are going nowhere with Bitlocker.

I have already spent over six hours on this with enormous amounts of google searches leading nowhere.

My last closing “thinking out loud” comment at this point is,

[1] is there the possibility of an enabled default BitLocker group policy that precludes all and any valid passwords to be ignored or rejected by Bitlocker that needs to be disabled?

[2] Is there a Bitlocker related registry key setting that is precluding all valid passwords from being accepted by Bitlocker that needs to be modified?

Thanks ahead for any guidance on this matter.

edray, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Green1967 Win User

Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

Bitlocker will not accept password or Recovery Key

I am trying to access my hard drive , But my recovery key and password are not being accepted

by bitlocker.

This Recovery key was sent to me when setting up the bitlocker, But now says it's a invalid key

Is there a problem with this software as its not accepting my recovery key Or password.

Can this bitlocker be reset so that it Can accept my recover key.

Any help please.Alan

Green1967, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

1. Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Accepting password

2. Password not accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password not accepted: My correct password is not accepted, also PIN not available error, trying to reset, comes back to same screen asking for password, trued to use command prompt or any troubleshooting asks for password. Suddenly I see 23 users in recorvery option to save files. The Gmail...
  3. Blue screen after system restore + now not accepting Windows password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screen after system restore + now not accepting Windows password: My wife's Windows 10 laptop today started up with all the icons and desktop shortcuts missing. Her files all appeared to still be in the correct location but it seemed odd. I checked for system restore points and there was one from yesterday so I said I would restore to this...
  4. Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password: My Win-10 laptop was booting up slowly and I did something stupid - I powered it down. There wasn't an update during the night before and I didn't notice one upon boot, though I got distracted for maybe 15 seconds. Upon the reboot, Bitlocker recognized my password but the...
  5. BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.: I was removing bit locker password by decrypting it but suddenly it starts not responding and program closed then I restart my pc and try to unlock external hard drive but when I enter correct password and recovery key it says "Password entered is incorrect." What to do...
  6. System doesn’t accept my password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System doesn’t accept my password: When I go to the set up the system takes my password but if I try to open Windows it doesn’t accept it saying that the password is incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-doesnt-accept-my-password/2008e5cb-942a-4f1d-a779-d67ac906e159
  7. Password not accepted after clean boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password not accepted after clean boot: In order to test my windows performance I did a clean boot as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Now Im not able to login using my PIN code and when using my microsoft account (I see my account`s avatar...
  8. Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords: I am not sure if this is the right place to post bitlocker issues but I was not able to find any forum titled encryption apps or similars so I have placed it here ====================================================== I have attempted to use BitLocker to encrypt a bootable...
  9. User password not accepted after holiday

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User password not accepted after holiday: A friend recently returned from a 2 week holiday. His W10 desktop PC now rejects his password and will not let him in. He assures me that he had not changed the password. He has doubled checked that caps/num lock, etc, are not active. I believe him. He was coerced into...
  10. System Restore Will Not Accept Password

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Will Not Accept Password: This one has me puzzled and any help will be appreciated. The problem is System Restore does not recognize my Windows password. When I try a System Restore and enter my password, the message says the password is incorrect. It's the same password that I use successfully to...