Windows 10: Bitlocker not allowing format

Discus and support Bitlocker not allowing format in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rochdi Badis1, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Bitlocker not allowing format

Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option that I have format my machine and loose all my files so I booted my machine from my Win 10 pro USB and couldn't format because it says can't do it because it's bitlocked, so how can i fix this?Thanks

:)

Rochdi Badis1, Jul 4, 2022
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jul 4, 2022
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    problem with bitlocker

Hi Roeslie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We need some more details to help you find the solution to your problem.

• Which edition of Windows 10 is installed on your surface machine?
    • Did you notice any changes on the computer recently?
    • When you say, you have a problem with your Surface machine about BitLocker key, do you mean that the surface machine asks you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to sign into Windows?
    • Does the other computer ask you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to access the files saved on it?

If you are being asked to enter a BitLocker key to sign into your surface machine and you don’t remember your BitLocker key, you can follow the instructions given in the link below to find the BitLocker recovery key.

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jul 4, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Bitlocker not allowing format

Bitlocker Questions

Did you uncheck "Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM (requires a password or a startup key on a USB flash drive)" in step 4?

Using "allow" is fine. You will specify using a PIN to unlock BitLocker at step 10.

It doesn't matter about your account password.

Brink, Jul 4, 2022
Thema:

Bitlocker not allowing format

1. Bitlocker not allowing format - Similar Threads - Bitlocker allowing format

2. Trying to format C with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to format C with Bitlocker: Split from this thread. HIWindows 11 was turned off during the update and this caused a problem blue screen, also C: is encrypted with Bitlocker. after all the tests and trials to repair it did not work. I decided to do a custom install without formatting the partition. at...
  3. Trying to format C with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to format C with Bitlocker: Split from this thread. HIWindows 11 was turned off during the update and this caused a problem blue screen, also C: is encrypted with Bitlocker. after all the tests and trials to repair it did not work. I decided to do a custom install without formatting the partition. at...
  4. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  5. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  6. Bitlocker not allowing format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker not allowing format: Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option that I have format my machine and loose all my files so I booted my machine from my Win 10 pro USB and couldn't format...
  7. Bitlocker not allowing format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker not allowing format: Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option that I have format my machine and loose all my files so I booted my machine from my Win 10 pro USB and couldn't format...
  8. Format a bitlocked drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Format a bitlocked drive: Hi Community, I have the following situation:I want to format a drive locked with bitlocker. I can boot the drive and use the laptop normally because I know the bitlocker key, but I dont remembrer neither the bitlocker recovery pass nor bios password, bios is blocking to boot...
  9. system partition not allowed to be formatted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system partition not allowed to be formatted: How do I format a system backup disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-partition-not-allowed-to-be-formatted/4232d4d3-bd34-4e4e-aaac-0794131e3584
  10. Bitlocker doesnt allow to key in password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker doesnt allow to key in password: hi buddy, I have my portable drive encrypted with bitlocker. However, everytime i connect with computer it doesnt appear a window to type in password to unlock rather than a recovery key. Unfortunately, I lost my receovery key so I can not solve this problem [img] 49276