Windows 10: Bitlocker not recognizing device name change

Discus and support Bitlocker not recognizing device name change in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I changed the name of my device (a laptop) from the nonsensical default name to something that more more sense to me. I then signed into my Microsoft... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PC_User_Win_10, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Bitlocker not recognizing device name change

I changed the name of my device (a laptop) from the nonsensical default name to something that more more sense to me. I then signed into my Microsoft Account to sync the name change and verified that the name change "took" (registered) with Microsoft - it did. However when exploring deeper within my Microsoft Account, I noticed that the Bitlocker Key was still showing the original default device name?

-Will this cause an issue?

-How can I get Bitlocker to recognize the device name change?

-Do I need to change the name of the device back to original default name?

:)

PC_User_Win_10, Feb 27, 2019

2. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Baleful Win User
    Changing device names and deleting devices

Yeah, you can't delete old/retired machines from the "my grid" page. The only option you have really is to wait a few days then change how it sorts the list:

Bitlocker not recognizing device name change ActiveMachines.png

Oh, and Mike is correct, by changing the windows "computer name" it'll change on the "my grid" page.

Baleful, Feb 27, 2019
  4. mike047 Win User

Bitlocker not recognizing device name change

Changing device names and deleting devices

You can't delete "retired" machines....there is some kind of "paper" trail they keep and the "old" devices are kept in archive.

I think???you can change machine names by doing so in windows "computer name" and then it might change[can't remember for sure] if it doesn't do so...detach and do a remove/re install and it should change.

mike047, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker not recognizing device name change

1. Bitlocker not recognizing device name change - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recognizing device

2. Bitlocker recovery key - showing as wrong device name when entered that page and bitlocker...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key - showing as wrong device name when entered that page and bitlocker...: Have to enter the bitlocker recovery key on my Lenovo laptop ... logged in to my Microsoft account to find it and when I went to the screen that is supposed to show the bitlocker code .. is displaying but the Device name is different than displayed on the previous screen and...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key - showing as wrong device name when entered that page and bitlocker...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key - showing as wrong device name when entered that page and bitlocker...: Have to enter the bitlocker recovery key on my Lenovo laptop ... logged in to my Microsoft account to find it and when I went to the screen that is supposed to show the bitlocker code .. is displaying but the Device name is different than displayed on the previous screen and...
  4. Does changing the device name affect licensing?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does changing the device name affect licensing?: Under Settings --> About --> Device Name I saw a name all in upper caps not given by me. How does W10 Pro choose such a name? But mainly I was wondering if changing that name seeing that it could be done affect the license in any way Group, private or whatever?Thank youOS:...
  5. Device name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device name: To all,The name of my brand new Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 raised a question to me. The default name as I discovered it is: FIIR8BS.Why is this the name of my laptop and what does it mean? I searched the internet for this name but I can't come up with a logical reason for...
  6. Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!: My Gen 1 Surface Go had been idle and needed a over years worth of Windows updates. After the final Windows Update, I updated a bunch of drivers using IObit Driver updater and setting a restore point. However, on restart I got the Blue Screen asking for my Recovery key. I...
  7. Windows 10 Device name changed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Device name changed: I recently purchased an HP Pavillion Gaming laptop to where initially I signed in with a new Microsoft account. I later reset and recovered and signed in with a local account. I then signed in with my Microsoft account again and the name had changed. I know I messed something...
  8. Device Not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Not recognized: I have a Blue Yeti Microphone. Today I replaced the cord with a brand new one from amazon, I get an error saying that "The USB device you connected has malfunctioned, and Windows doesn't recognize it." What can I do? I've tried a lot of the fixes online and nothing worked?...
  9. How to change device name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change device name: I got a new laptop and the device name is a cryptic thing I'd like to change to something I immediately understand. How do I do that Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-device-name/605a7f2f-93e2-490b-a74f-8ada2e367170
  10. Device not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device not recognized: My Nextbook Flexx 10.1 tablet PC with Windows 10 won't recognize my Sandisk flashdrive..I tried 'Update driver' and 'Uninstall device' in Device Manager and restarting the computer, but it still says, 'Device not recognized' when the computer is restarted..What to do?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker pc name changed