Windows 10: Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

Discus and support Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by StevenSutton2, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard drive. I have other external drives Toshiba, HP and have had no problems with them. When I bring up the Bitlocker control window under System and Security, that drive does not appear in the Removable data drive section. Also, in File Explorer under the "Drive Tools" tab the Bitlocker button is not functional. There are no problems with the drive as I have successfully copied files to it. I'm lost so would appreciate any guidance.

:)

StevenSutton2, Nov 28, 2020
  2. ToddB Win User

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not recognizing this external hard drive in disk management. I can see it in device manager and it is listed as "Jmicron SCSI Disk Device". I can also see it in devices and printer listed as "Jmicron". However it is not recognized or listed in disk management and file explorer. I am a novice when it comes to hardware issues as I am more of a software guy but I have tried everything I can find on the net to no avail. ie uninstalling and installing the drivers, using seagate utilities (I cannot also see it in Seagates applications), disabling fast startup, windows devices and printers troubleshooting, etc. I suspect (maybe incorrectly) that this device is showing up as "Jmicron SCSI disk device" instead of a SATA drive but that is coming from someone who again does not know alot about the device/hardware side. I would like to make this external drive a full backup for my windows 10 laptop and any assistance that could be provided would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for any help you may be!

ToddB, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Seagate External 2T Hard Drive

Hi Richard

I should point out that I updated from Win 8 to Win 10 some time in September

To answer your questions;

Yes, I used the Seagate drive the previous day

No, the Seagate drive was not connected during the upgrade

The Seagate external hard drive is USB powered

The contents on the external Seagate hard drive are still intact and can been proven on another PC

I have a external WD hard drive which is still recognized post upgrade

Mark

MarkFinlay_995, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive

I am running Windows 10 pro and when I go into the policies they are listed as not configured. The hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive. I successfully used bitlocker on my internal hard drive 2 years ago so maybe the external
    drive is the issue?

DigitalSchism, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

1. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recognizing Seagate

2. Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10?: Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive 500GB Not Recognized by Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/seagate-freeagent-external-hard-drive-not/d09310af-e7b2-4ea4-9b5e-9dae1e1f93ae
  3. Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive

Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive: Recently bought an external hard drive and wanted to use bitlocker go to password protect it. I plugged the hard drive into my laptop through a usb 3.0 connection and it appears in my file explorer just fine. However, when go into "manage bitlocker" it does not appear in the...
  4. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  5. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  6. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...
  7. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  8. Seagate USB drive not always recognized

Seagate USB drive not always recognized: I have two USB Seagate drives I use to hold my backups. When I plug one of them in (to a USB port on the computer), it/they are not always recognized. I have to plug and unplug the power and communications cords more than once before the drive is recognized. I have tried all...
  9. USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10: I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not...
  10. Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive

Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive: Before I recently upgraded my computer from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, the drive was working fine. But now Windows will not recognize the drive.......although it does show up in Disk Management, there is no content. I then ran the utility EaseUS Partition Master, and...