Windows 10: Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...

Discus and support Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A few days ago, I installed BitLocker on my Microsoft Surface Pro IV with Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.356. Since then, sometimes,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Harold E1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Harold E1 Win User

Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...

A few days ago, I installed BitLocker on my Microsoft Surface Pro IV with Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.356.

Since then, sometimes, but not always, it asks for my Bitlocker Recovery Key. When I enter it, it then restarts. I don't remember if this happens when booting up after shutting down, or after waking up from hibernation, because it's after I used my laptop for a while, so I don't remember what I did before.

However, NONE of these times have I ASKED to restart. I have had some Security Intelligence Updates for Windows Defender installed since I installed BitLocker, but Windows Update shows my last check for Updates was before installing BitLocker

I don't remember the specifics of how I set up BitLocker, i.e. what options, because I didn't think I needed to keep track.

WHen I go to the BitLocker Control Panel, and click "TPM Administration", I get a message "Compatible TPM cannot be found".

What is going on??

1. How can I keep BitLocker from asking for the Recovery key? It is almost making it unusable. Needing to carry around a piece of paper with the key whenever I use my computer is one of the WORST security situations.

2. Why is it restarting my PC if I didn't ask it too?

3. Does lack of compatible TPM have something to do with it? If so, what do I do to correct it?

:)

Harold E1, Sep 14, 2019
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate... [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate... [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...

1. Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate... - Similar Threads - Bitlocker often always

2. Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart: Hi There,I am using Windows surface 6 pro, today morning when i was trying to start my notebook, it asked for repair, when i start the repair it says unable to repair please reset your machine,When i try to do it was asking my bitlocker key i given and success. but its not...
  3. Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart: Hi There,I am using Windows surface 6 pro, today morning when i was trying to start my notebook, it asked for repair, when i start the repair it says unable to repair please reset your machine,When i try to do it was asking my bitlocker key i given and success. but its not...
  4. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  5. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  6. Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup

Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup: I am always asked for my bitlocker recovery key when my Win 10 PC boots. I do knpw my recovery code and when I enter it, the boot continues normally. I would like to eliminate the need to enter my recovery code every time, so please tell me how to eliminate it....
  7. Restart Always Requires Bitlocker Recovery Key

Restart Always Requires Bitlocker Recovery Key: On my new Lenovo Thinkpad X270, I disabled TPM and switched from UEFI to Compatibility mode so that I could boot from a CD that required this. When I switched the settings back and rebooted, I was asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My first question is why was I asked...
  8. Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key?: Bitlocker offers the option to save the Recovery Key to a drive other than the encrypted drive. If I save the key to a thumb drive and later, for some reason, I am prompted for the Recovery Key when I start my PC, can I simply insert the thumb drive instead of manually...
  9. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart: Hi guys, I know I had been overwhelming here with all my BitLocker and TPM related questions, but hopefully this should be my final concerns. I have BitLocker full encryption enabled on my HDD. 1. Recently, I had this issue when going to the TPM.msc console and...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...