Windows 10: Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version?

Discus and support Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Laptop is a DELL Inspiron 15-3576 bought new on 19th Nov. 2018. It has Windows 10 Home (64-bit) OS installed on a 256GB SK Hynix SC311 SATA SSD. I am... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wiganken, Feb 4, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version?

Laptop is a DELL Inspiron 15-3576 bought new on 19th Nov. 2018. It has Windows 10 Home (64-bit) OS installed on a 256GB SK Hynix SC311 SATA SSD.
    I am surprised to find Bitlocker installed because I did not think it was installed on “Home” versions of Windows 10. I thought it was only installed in the “Pro” version. It seems to be turned ON (because there is a grey button showing “Turn Off”) but not yet encrypted. See pictures. I do not intend to complete the encryption since I am using a Local account and am not interested in using a Microsoft account.
    I know that Bitlocker requires the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) which is a special chip (on the motherboard?) so I can only assume that my machine has this TPM chip and Windows 10 must have ‘seen’ this chip and ‘thinks’ my OS is the ‘Pro’ edition of Windows 10.
    It may be that if I were to create a Microsoft account and proceed with encryption then it may recognize that I have the “Home” version and the encryption would fail at some stage of the process.

Q1 - Is my Windows 10 “Home” machine unusual in having Bitlocker?
    Q2 - Will it be OK for me to click on the “Turn OFF” button?

Thanks in advance.

Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version? [​IMG]

Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version? [​IMG]

:)

wiganken, Feb 4, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 4, 2020
  3. BitLocker on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

This could be due to some corruption in the system files, please check the methods below and see if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.
    • Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.

Method 2: Please try the steps provided in the given article.

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 3: Perform SFC scan

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The
    sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore
    corrupted files.

Refer the link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted
    system files

Note: Link applies to Windows 10 as well.

More information:
    BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Ernie San Win User

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker on Windows 10 "Home" version? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Home version

2. how to re-set bitlocker autounlock in Windows 10 Home version

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to re-set bitlocker autounlock in Windows 10 Home version: Hi, After I upgraded my C: drive to a larger SSD, I found my D: is locked as shown below. I encountered a few error messages because the D: is not available after each reboot. I had to provide a key to unlock it before assessing the data after each reboot. Is it possible to...
  3. how to re-set bitlocker autounlock in Windows 10 Home version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to re-set bitlocker autounlock in Windows 10 Home version: Hi, After I upgraded my C: drive to a larger SSD, I found my D: is locked as shown below. I encountered a few error messages because the D: is not available after each reboot. I had to provide a key to unlock it before assessing the data after each reboot. Is it possible to...
  4. how to re-set bitlocker autounlock in Windows 10 Home version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Bitlocker on Windows 10 Home or Windows 11 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Bitlocker on Windows 10 Home or Windows 11 Home: Should Windows allow Windows 10 Home, or even Windows 11 Home, have a bit locker feature, like Pro and above versions, with the advent of the ability to store the recovery key in personal one drive or another cloud platform Google Drive or even take a picture or print out the...
  6. Windows 10 Home with BitLocker

Windows 10 Home with BitLocker: Is my Windows 10 Home support BitLocker Encryption?? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-with-bitlocker/2a4ecf28-20c7-499e-ba9e-cf3f00b3f7df
  7. Bitlocker in Windows 10 Home

Bitlocker in Windows 10 Home: We have a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 with Wondows 10 Home. It has now stuck with a bitlocker code needed to unlock it. But I thought that bitlocker was not available in Windows 10 Home, so how can it be on? And how can I find the key when my Microsoft account sys that the...
  8. windows 10 home version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 home version: which is the latest version of windows 10 home single language? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-version/46d97241-04d2-4d58-8acd-c0e982ae28b0
  9. Bitlocker in Windows 10 Home

Bitlocker in Windows 10 Home: So I can't manage bitlocker in Windows 10 Home, but my drive is encrypted with a bitlocker key. How do I get rid of the bitlocker key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-in-windows-10-home/d2110729-2b28-4352-807a-a0a4500a010d"
  10. Windows 10 Home version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home version: Several months ago, I purchased Windows 10 Home version and Parallels version 14 for use on a Mac. I am no longer interested in using either one of these products. I have two (2) questions. 1) Is Windows 10 Home version a subscription service and if so how do I cancel any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows bitlocker version