Windows 10: Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

Discus and support Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is a long story, so I'll do my best to sum it up briefly. In short, I cloned my PC's SSD drive as a backup, messed up the partitioning of my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GarrukApex, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

This is a long story, so I'll do my best to sum it up briefly.

In short, I cloned my PC's SSD drive as a backup, messed up the partitioning of my computer's internal drive, and then restored my PC from the clone. After the restore, the bitlocker options in settings aren't available.

When I cloned my drive, I cloned it from within the windows installation stored on my computer. I used macrium reflect for the clone. For the restore I installed windows from installation media made from another machine and copied the partition table from the cloned drive onto my internal drive.The drive data was stored unencrypted, and I had turned off bitlocker drive encryption. My computer has a TPM module, and although it came pre-installed with windows 10 home the option for bitlocker drive encryption was available in settings prior to restoring.

However, now that my drive has been restored from the clone, the bitlocker option is no longer there. There is no mention of bitlocker in settings, and no indication that my machine has the ability to use drive encryption. I've looked around a decent amount online, and have found a few threads on the microsoft forums, but none that were able to come close to resolving my issue.

So, how do I turn bitlocker drive encryption back on?

My current OS build is Win 10 version 2004, 19041.450, and I'm on a Dell XPS 15 9570.

Thanks.

:)

GarrukApex, Sep 10, 2020

2. Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

This is a long story, so I'll do my best to sum it up briefly.

In short, I cloned my PC's SSD drive as a backup, messed up the partitioning of my computer's internal drive, and then restored my PC from the clone. After the restore, the bitlocker options in settings aren't available.

When I cloned my drive, I cloned it from within the windows installation stored on my computer. I used macrium reflect for the clone. For the restore I installed windows from installation media made from another machine and copied the partition table from the cloned drive onto my internal drive.The drive data was stored unencrypted, and I had turned off bitlocker drive encryption. My computer has a TPM module, and although it came pre-installed with windows 10 home the option for bitlocker drive encryption was available in settings prior to restoring.

However, now that my drive has been restored from the clone, the bitlocker option is no longer there. There is no mention of bitlocker in settings, and no indication that my machine has the ability to use drive encryption. I've looked around a decent amount online, and have found a few threads on the microsoft forums, but none that were able to come close to resolving my issue.

So, how do I turn bitlocker drive encryption back on?

My current OS build is Win 10 version 2004, 19041.450, and I'm on a Dell XPS 15 9570.

Thanks.

GarrukApex, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Hello, I received a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and want to clone my current HDD to my new SSD. There's one small problem. My laptop came pre-enabled with Device Encryption also know as Bitlocker. It originally came with Windows 10 Home but I upgraded it
    to pro so i have all options available. I was about to clone it when Macrium reflect said that bitlocker would be disabled on the new drive and that i would have to reenable it. How can i clone the HDD to my new SSD and keep bitlocker enabled without bitlocker
    flipping out?

Keitaro Gangewere, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

1. Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone - Similar Threads - Bitlocker option avaible

2. BitLocker Issues After Cloning Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Issues After Cloning Drive: Hello, I recently cloned a drive with BitLocker enabled, and I'm facing challenges using BitLocker on the new SSD. I successfully disabled and decrypted the Bitlocker from old SSD using PowerShell in admin mode. Also, when I'm trying to open microsoft store I'm getting an...
  3. BitLocker Issues After Cloning Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Issues After Cloning Drive: Hello, I recently cloned a drive with BitLocker enabled, and I'm facing challenges using BitLocker on the new SSD. I successfully disabled and decrypted the Bitlocker from old SSD using PowerShell in admin mode. Also, when I'm trying to open microsoft store I'm getting an...
  4. No drive found after clone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No drive found after clone: Split from this thread. Hi Saltgrass - May I butt in here with a similar problem that I have not solved. I installed a Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD on my Spare PC.I had a Copy of my Windows Drive, which I had converted from MBR to GPT, on a spare Seagate Drive, ready...
  5. No drive found after clone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No drive found after clone: Split from this thread. Hi Saltgrass - May I butt in here with a similar problem that I have not solved. I installed a Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD on my Spare PC.I had a Copy of my Windows Drive, which I had converted from MBR to GPT, on a spare Seagate Drive, ready...
  6. Set time manually option not avaible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set time manually option not avaible: So, I'm trying to use my new computer, and I noticed that the time was wrong, so I tried to set it, except for some reason even when I change the region, its stuck 1 hour behind. To make it worse, the set time manually button isn't there, so I cant fix it. I have provided...
  7. BitLocker drive cloning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker drive cloning: Hey, so I am gonna upgrade my laptops M.2 to a way bigger one and want to know if i can just do a 1 to 1 sector copy and then boot into Windows. Then I would just edit the partitions from there to use the new space. Theoretically that should work or am I overlooking...
  8. Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker option not avaible in settings after drive clone: This is a long story, so I'll do my best to sum it up briefly. In short, I cloned my PC's SSD drive as a backup, messed up the partitioning of my computer's internal drive, and then restored my PC from the clone. After the restore, the bitlocker options in settings aren't...
  9. there are curremtly no power option avaible

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    there are curremtly no power option avaible: pls resolve this erroe me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-are-curremtly-no-power-option-avaible/ade8683b-9e19-48c5-b982-7f7125d15e09
  10. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD: Hello, I received a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and want to clone my current HDD to my new SSD. There's one small problem. My laptop came pre-enabled with Device Encryption also know as Bitlocker. It originally came with Windows 10 Home but I upgraded it to pro so i have all...