Windows 10: Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems

Discus and support Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a removable USB Drive that has been encrypted with BitLocker. However, it only works with some systems. Other systems, including other Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JPWKeeper14, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems

I have a removable USB Drive that has been encrypted with BitLocker. However, it only works with some systems. Other systems, including other Windows 10 systems, reject the password as being incorrect even though I have verified it is the correct password.

The drive decrypts as expected on my normal PC and other PCs we have in the building, but only certain PCs reject it, so it is not damaged and does not need a recover key.

:)

JPWKeeper14, Jan 10, 2020

2. why doesn't my bitlocker make me type a password?

Hi,

I understand that you have issue with Bitlocker password. I will certainly assist you with this.

Please provide us below details for better assistance,

• Is your Bitlocker enabled on your system?

• Have you made any changes on your system before this issue?

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.

2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.

3. Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.

4. Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on Start button.

5. Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists then change the password and change the settings on how drive is unlocked at startup.

Hope it will fix your issue. Please let us know the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Krishna Priya V, Jan 10, 2020
  3. How to remove bitlocker from system?

Hi Patrik,

BitLocker is a full disk encryption feature present on Windows.

It seems that the troubleshooting steps that you've tried are for Windows 7. We suggest checking this
    thread and follow the steps given by
    Johann Eva to remove BitLocker encryption.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 10, 2020
  4. KSilerJr Win User

Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems

Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

Here is how I was able to get the system to prompt me for the BitLocker password each time I logged on.

My system has 2 drives one for the OS which is not encrypted with BitLocker and a DATA drive that is fully encrypted with BitLocker. What I wanted was for the system to prompt me for the password each time I booted the system and logged in. Here are the steps that allow this to happen.

1) Create a file in your Windows\System32 folder called UNLOCK.CMD using notepad with these lines in it
    @echo off & cls
    echo .
    manage-bde.exe -unlock -password D:

2) Create a Task Scheduler that uses the Trigger "At log on".
    On the General Tab make sure to check "Run wit highest privileges"
    Action "Start a Program"
    Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and select Unlock.CMD

3) Now Restart your system and a DOS window should popup asking for the password.

Hope this helps others.

KSilerJr, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems

1. Bitlocker Password on Removable Media only works on some systems - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Password Removable

2. Bitlocker Password and Key are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Password and Key are not working: During decryption of a external USB drive using Bitlocker, the PC being used stop working. Upon reconnection of the external hard drive would connect but the files are locked. The drive password and recovery key does not work. What happened? Is there anything I can do to...
  3. Bitlocker Password and Key are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Password and Key are not working: During decryption of a external USB drive using Bitlocker, the PC being used stop working. Upon reconnection of the external hard drive would connect but the files are locked. The drive password and recovery key does not work. What happened? Is there anything I can do to...
  4. Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format: Hello, I was having windows 10 on my Dell laptop and there were bitlocker password on my drives. However Iformatted my OS without unlocking the drives. And now I installed windows 10 pro, and now I am unable to unlock the drives which were protected by bitlocker. Is there...
  5. the same password and username, but work only from some pc's on the net

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the same password and username, but work only from some pc's on the net: When i log in to windows trying accessing shared files that is via network, it works using some computers, and some others not all of the is win10 - claiming it's a worng password. what is the reason for that?...
  6. BitLocker password not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker password not working: Please how do I get into a laptop that is asking for bitlocker password and the password is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-password-not-working/1d9351ce-f042-410d-b2f1-91c67eb1633a
  7. Removing Windows BitLocker on new system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing Windows BitLocker on new system: Hello there! Over the past few days, I've been trying to build a system for myself. I have come across a problem when setting it up though: on first boot, a Windows BitLocker encryption key is required to proceed for a Windows 7 system. Is there any way for me to bypass this...
  8. Password and Code does not work on Bitlocker

Password and Code does not work on Bitlocker: I started to decrypt my disk from BitLocker 1TB disk drive, and it took about 10 hours and accidently the laptop shutdown without completion, and after a while I thought to complete this process on another laptop which is mine, and for some reason I cannot access the disk...
  9. option to only use password for Bitlocker?

option to only use password for Bitlocker?: On WIndows 10 Professional, can you use Bitlocker on a PC that has no TPM, and also not use a USB key? That is, can you specify that your drive will be unlocked solely by a password? 12022
  10. Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive: I am running Windows 10 Pro. I am using BitLocker on a non-system drive and not on my system drive. I am not planning on using it on my system drive. I do not have a TPM compatible computer. Once I log into Windows, I would like to be prompted for the password to unlock my...