Windows 10: Bitlocker Paused Problem

Discus and support Bitlocker Paused Problem in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I started encrypting a USB HDD and had to put BitLocker on pause at about 2% using the pause button. When I tried to continue Bitlocker says that the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mackereth, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Mackereth Win User

Bitlocker Paused Problem

I started encrypting a USB HDD and had to put BitLocker on pause at about 2% using the pause button. When I tried to continue Bitlocker says that the process is still paused and I can't get it to restart. The HDD is now locked with BitLocker. I have tried the commands suggested using the command prompt to disable it but just get an error message about being unable to access the drive. I am on a works pc and don't have admin rights. Is it possible to transfer the USB HDD to another PC and try the disable command or will it only work on the pc Bitlocker was started on?

:)

Mackereth, Sep 1, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

problem with bitlocker

Hi Roeslie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We need some more details to help you find the solution to your problem.

• Which edition of Windows 10 is installed on your surface machine?
    • Did you notice any changes on the computer recently?
    • When you say, you have a problem with your Surface machine about BitLocker key, do you mean that the surface machine asks you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to sign into Windows?
    • Does the other computer ask you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to access the files saved on it?

If you are being asked to enter a BitLocker key to sign into your surface machine and you don’t remember your BitLocker key, you can follow the instructions given in the link below to find the BitLocker recovery key.

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 1, 2019
  3. BitLocker Drive Encryption displays "Encryption has been paused"

Hi Tesfay,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.
    Before assisting you, I would like you to answer the questions stated below:

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
      • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

Follow the methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application
    not found”, then I would suggest you to refer the article provided in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Bitlocker Paused Problem

Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction in fixing the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

1. Open the command prompt as admin.
    2. Type in manage-bde –off <drive> and hit
      Enter.

manage-bde –resume <drive>
    manage-bde –on <drive>

Replace Drive by drive letter

1. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue

You may also refer the article Computer
    Crash: How To Use manage-bde To Recover A Partially Decrypted Hard Drive

for the detailed information.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    IT TechNet
    forums
    , where we have a dedicated team of experts who are equipped with the resources to guide you with the further steps to fix the issue.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker Paused Problem

1. Bitlocker Paused Problem - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Paused Problem

2. Update pause problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update pause problem: I think I must have accidentally clicked on Pause for 7 days at some point. When I discovered that it now said Updates will resume on June 26 I clicked on Pause for 7 days to cancel it. No box opened for me to make a change, so I clicked on it again. Then I discovered...
  3. Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck: I plugged in an external HD that was protected by bitlocker. A pop-up windows shows that Decryption is paused at 73.1. [ATTACH] There is a resume button but when clicked, it only makes it worse and the window is Not Responding. On cmd, I checked manage-bde -status: I...
  4. Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck: I plugged in an external HD that was protected by bitlocker. A pop-up windows shows that Decryption is paused at 73.1. There is a resume button but when clicked, it only makes it worse and window is Not Responding. On cmd, I checked manage-bde -status: Volume F: [MEDIA...
  5. Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause: Hi all I have a serious problem with decrypting my external drive as it stuck at 65.5% and, the thing I tried: I tried to pause it but when I click pause after few seconds the window goes into Not Responding status and my whole computer slowing down. I tried to use...
  6. Computer pausing problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer pausing problem: Hi, I recently did the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8, it worked fine for day, then it blanked out and now about every second, the screen pauses for a second and carries on as if nothing happened. Is there any solution to this? Thanks,...
  7. Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.: i locked one of partition in my laptop with bitlocker. every thing was working fine until i decided to unlock/decrypt it again. i did this by following simple steps, and when it started decrypting i unknowingly restarted my laptop, now it is paused and there is no way i can...
  8. Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.: i locked one of partition in my laptop with bitlocker. every thing was working fine until i decided to unlock/decrypt it again. i did this by following simple steps, and when it started decrypting i unknowingly restarted my laptop, now it is paused and there is no way i can...
  9. BitLocker Decryption Paused..

BitLocker Decryption Paused..: Hi, Unfortunately, some days before, I started BitLocker encryption for my 1 TB external hard disc. My bad mistake. The encryption was not finished successfully. After that, whenever the disc is inserted, it is saying that there is error in encryption and the disc is not...
  10. Bitlocker Problems

Bitlocker Problems: Since I downloaded some updates every time I start my HP Pavilion Energy Star I have to enter a 48 numeral code to unlock Bitlocker,which is a hell of a nuisance and time consuming.How can I get rid of this ?. 27516

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker decryption paused