Windows 10: bitlocker performance penalty question

Discus and support bitlocker performance penalty question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm thinking about using bitlocker on my PC but I'm worried about an impact on performance. I'm using a Samsung Book2 which has a Snapdragon 850... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mgerbasioHBT, Feb 24, 2019.

1. bitlocker performance penalty question

I'm thinking about using bitlocker on my PC but I'm worried about an impact on performance. I'm using a Samsung Book2 which has a Snapdragon 850 processor, not Intel, 4gB of RAM and runs Windows 10S, yes the "S" version.

Not sure if I'll see a significant decrease in performance and battery life. Anyone have experience using bitlocker on a WoA machine? If I don't like it, can I remove it without reinstalling Windows 10S?

:)

mgerbasioHBT, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Ernie San Win User

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Feb 24, 2019
  4. bitlocker performance penalty question

BitLocker on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

This could be due to some corruption in the system files, please check the methods below and see if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.
    • Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.

Method 2: Please try the steps provided in the given article.

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 3: Perform SFC scan

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The
    sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore
    corrupted files.

Refer the link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted
    system files

Note: Link applies to Windows 10 as well.

More information:
    BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

bitlocker performance penalty question

1. bitlocker performance penalty question - Similar Threads - bitlocker performance penalty

2. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty: How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue mentioned?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wallpaper-slideshow-performance-penalty/4d45d338-207c-47e2-87c5-82a8213e2227I have been running into this bug that SEVERELY impacted...
  3. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty: How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue mentioned?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wallpaper-slideshow-performance-penalty/4d45d338-207c-47e2-87c5-82a8213e2227I have been running into this bug that SEVERELY impacted...
  4. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Bitlocker question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker question: I have Windows 10 Pro on one computer. Can I encrypt/decrypt different hard drives (with separate installations) interchangably using the same device? submitted by /u/kfucgsojfjdjfjjf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j2zg7q/bitlocker_question/
  6. Windows 10 Wallpaper Slideshow Performance Penalty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Wallpaper Slideshow Performance Penalty: So I've spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose a performance issue on my wife's PC. The Problem PC Gaming is important to her and having consistent performance while playing her MMO is absolutely critical. Recently, I decided to be nice and liven up her...
  7. BitLocker questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker questions: I saved my BitLocker recovery key to my USB flash drive and it has the usual Recovery TXT file, but when I unhide the System files in File Explorer, it shows also the BEK file which is a hidden file. I got a new USB flash drive and need to transfer all the data from my...
  8. BitLocker Question

BitLocker Question: Hello, I understand BitLocker encrypts the data on your hard drive. My questions is: ig someone hack's your laptop will they be able to access your files/data? A scenario would be when using the laptop over public wi-fi WITH a quality VPN enabled. BitLocker appears to...
  9. BitLocker questions

BitLocker questions: Hi, sorry for my poor English. I just realised that my HDD was Encrypted with BitLocker and I did not knew that. Rather I had no Key to access files in case of a failure were I could not boot any longer. How do I access my Data in case I can not Boot the PC and I have...
  10. BitLocker questions

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker questions: I'm thinking of using BitLocker, but I need to know a few things first. 1. I use two partitions, one for the OS (and installed programs) and another for Documents. 2. I know that I'll have to format the OS drive and re-install Windows at some point in the future...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker slow performance windows 10 fixes

2. how much does bitlocker impact performance