Windows 10: Bitlocker preventing drive access

Discus and support Bitlocker preventing drive access in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an SSD which was locked by bitlocker when I swapped it out. I tried to start another computer with the drive and got the key entry message, but... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by McPhee6, Dec 23, 2020.

1. McPhee6 Win User

Bitlocker preventing drive access

I have an SSD which was locked by bitlocker when I swapped it out. I tried to start another computer with the drive and got the key entry message, but each time I entered the key the computer would run into some problem launching Windows and restart this computer has problems running a lot of drives for some reason.

To fix this, I tried connecting the SSD externally to another computer. After entering the key I could access some files but cannot get anything under my main account- clicking on the user account folder does nothing and it is listed as 0 kb in size. I also can't run chkdsk after mounting the volume because it is listed as raw. Is there any way that I can access my data? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

:)

McPhee6, Dec 23, 2020
  2. jmsnyc Win User

Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire

Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password I could access it no problem and decryption was not necessary but then I remembered TPM might prevent this since it was a system drive. Would that prevent access even with the BL key or password?

General file access question: Normally when accessing files from a drive removed from another pc, I normally have to use "Take Ownership" or run a 3rd party file explorer as admin such as Q-Dir. Are there any steps to take prior to removing it from the original pc to make this process / file access easier?

Original PC is running Win 10 Ed , new PC running Win 10 Pro

jmsnyc, Dec 23, 2020
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 23, 2020
  4. DW7EZV Win User

Prevent / Hide drives from My Computer won't effect

Hi @Macboatmaster,

Thank you for your suggestion.

As of posting, I am trying what you suggested. 30 minutes have pass and I am still at 8.8%. Any other suggestion?

Thank you!

DW7EZV, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker preventing drive access - Similar Threads - Bitlocker preventing drive

2. Prevent access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent access: I am removing our domain server. I am looking for a way to prevent staff from accessing files on the server and saving them to local drives. Here is the catch, they still need to be able to access them in VMWare client. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?...
  3. Bitlocker Prevents Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bitlocker Prevents Restart: Split from this thread.Hello, I am experiencing the same issue on my Dell Inspiron 13-7353Windows 10 Home. I left it on sleeping with the lid closed overnight and now I am getting startup repair screen with message: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt When I try and...
  4. Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives: I accidentally turned on bitlocker for one drive c: and now I can't modify or delete anything on other drives d:, e:. No "delete" context menu option is available for any files on d: or e: and deleting through the "del" command says "Access denied". I didn't modify the file...
  5. BitLocker Drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker Drive is not accessible: When I double click on my BitLocker encrypted drive it says E:/ is not accessible - Access is denied and when I right click on it there is noUnlock drive option in the context menu but when I go to Control Panel > BitLocker Drive Encryption and click Unlock Drivethen after...
  6. Bitlocker preventing backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker preventing backup: My OS Win10 is not letting me use an external HDD as a backup drive without using bitlocker to encrypt it. I do not want to encrypt this drive and need a workaround so my OS will allow me to backup my files to this drive without enabling bitlocker encryption....
  7. Prevent Application From Accessing Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent Application From Accessing Drive: Is it possible to prevent an application like Word, Adobe Acrobat Reader, WinZip, etc. from accessing a drive (e.g., D:\) or a folder (e.g., D:\Data)? Ideally I want one application on my system to not have read access to one of the drives on my system....
  8. BitLocker How access drive?

BitLocker How access drive?: I have a hard drive that was suspended during an in-place install win 10, build 16299-431. I resumed BitLocker protection on all drives (5 internal ) but this one I can't open any of the files but name and properties are visible and accessible. I can read and write to drive....
  9. BitLocker How can I access drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker How can I access drive?: I have a hard drive that was suspended during an in-place install win 10, build 16299-431. I resumed BitLocker protection on all drives (5 internal ) but this one I can't open any of the files but name and properties are visible and accessible. I can read and write to drive....
  10. Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu

Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu: Although I'm an Admin on my Win 10 Pro system (Surface Laptop), I can't access the subject menu. Instead, I receive the SysAdmin notice, as in the screenshot. This seems like a new "feature," as I could access it from my previous Win 10 Surface. I suppose that I could make...