Windows 10: Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help

Discus and support Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Basically Id like to decrypt some of the drives....I have 4 drives that I enabled Bitlocker on before I did the clean install of Windows and I have all... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Spacee, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Spacee Win User

Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help

Basically Id like to decrypt some of the drives....I have 4 drives that I enabled Bitlocker on before I did the clean install of Windows and I have all the keys printed from when windows prompted me to when I did the encryptions.

Today I was setting them up using the "mount in the following empty NTFS folder" option through disk manager to be sneaky sneaky right....after trying a few different places a few times Windows decided to start giving me an error saying "location is denied" for all drives that I would make a path for....So i thought why not just turn off/decrypt the drives in bitlocker manager and hide two of them in one encrypted drive...NOPPE, after going to the bitlocker options, only "unlock drive" shows up for all drives now....

i tried using the command prompt to decrypt the drives and typed the following

manage-bde -off v:

and I got this:

Error: an attempt to access a required resource was denied.

Check that you have administrative rights on the computer.

I checked under user accounts in the control panel and it does say Administrator on the right below my windows user name.

(Not sure if it matters any but after I did the clean install of windows I noticed I misspelled the name I wanted so I added the letter missing after and Command Prompt shows the misspelling still.)*Huh

:)

Spacee, Sep 6, 2019
  2. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    problem with bitlocker

Hi Roeslie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We need some more details to help you find the solution to your problem.

• Which edition of Windows 10 is installed on your surface machine?
    • Did you notice any changes on the computer recently?
    • When you say, you have a problem with your Surface machine about BitLocker key, do you mean that the surface machine asks you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to sign into Windows?
    • Does the other computer ask you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to access the files saved on it?

If you are being asked to enter a BitLocker key to sign into your surface machine and you don’t remember your BitLocker key, you can follow the instructions given in the link below to find the BitLocker recovery key.

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 6, 2019
  4. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

Hello everyone,

my brother in law has bought a new computer yesterday still with win 8.1 on it, which he'll be upgrading to windows 10. I'm guessing non pro edition. So far I've determined that if you want to do a clean install after the upgrade you don't use an updated productkey, rather microsoft registers somehow your hardware id and auto activates.

Now here's my worry, the computer isn't coming with an ssd, and I'm building that in tommorow, and I want to do the clean install on the ssd understandably.
    My question is, will this alter the hardware ID in such a way that Win 10 won't activate anymore. I know there's a 30 day grace period to fix things, but I'd rather get everything right straight away.
    I'm also wondering if I can just format the former system drive after win 10 has been activated on the SSD or if this will screw up some activation logging file or whatever other important stuff they've somehow left on the older installation.

If it doesnt activate it would mean I'd have to get into contact with microsofts help desk, which I reckon will be extremely hard to reach anyways, and my experience with them hasn't been great sofar.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter. I'm sure more people are debating a form of this conundrum.

kajson, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help - Similar Threads - Bitlocker problem Clean

2. Windows 10 Re-Install " IS NOT WORKING ! please please please help

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Re-Install " IS NOT WORKING ! please please please help: Windows 10 Home. Purchased in 2016. My furry butt companion " Memphis" He's my Dawg... Accidently knocked my Quart of Beer into computer. Computer repair dude said he removed KEY from Account and installed into my NEW but yet still old Computer. Said since I was so poor it...
  3. Help with Re-installing Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with Re-installing Win 10: Hi would like a lil bit of help re-installing Windows 10 PLEASE. Asus Tower computer, windows 10 was originally Win 8.1, but updated to 10, Recovery is still Win 8.1 will not reboot fully, tried repair, rollback, recovery - no good. No Restore points I Have read a post...
  4. Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlocker problem after Clean Win 10 Re Install Please Help: Basically Id like to decrypt some of the drives....I have 4 drives that I enabled Bitlocker on before I did the clean install of Windows and I have all the keys printed from when windows prompted me to when I did the encryptions. Today I was setting them up using the "mount...
  5. win 10 Re-install [clean]

win 10 Re-install [clean]: How do I save settings for a re-install? ie; configurations of control panel, "settings", etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-re-install-clean/b0b98f9f-0ed7-493f-9f38-7838cb5343d9
  6. BSOD after clean re-install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after clean re-install: So I installed an SSD hard drive on my laptop a few months ago and have been running into a BSOD issue ever since. The error code I get on the BSOD is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I have hopefully uploaded the info that will resolve this problem Here is the OneDrive link to...
  7. after clean re-installation of windows..

in Windows 10 Support
    after clean re-installation of windows..: After clean re-installation of windows. is AV and internet security the first thing I should install before connecting to the internet? 90660
  8. Win 10 Clean install problem

Win 10 Clean install problem: Hi, new member seeking help. I removed a bad HDD, noisy but working, and replaced it with an SSD and tried a few times to install Win 10 without success. It completes then says it will reboot in 10 seconds and when it does it starts the process over and over. I did a lot...
  9. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  10. Windows 10 clean install problem re: Edition

Windows 10 clean install problem re: Edition: After reading various articles I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 as opposed to an upgrade. I went to Windows and downloaded and installed Media Creation Tool. No problem with either but when I ran the program it showed a space to select what edition of...