Windows 10: Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

Discus and support Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have access to my Microsoft Account that has the saved information of my Bitlocker Recovery Keys, it includes information such as Device Name, Key... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Geo51, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Geo51 Win User

Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

I have access to my Microsoft Account that has the saved information of my Bitlocker Recovery Keys, it includes information such as Device Name, Key ID, and the Recovery Key number. But, what I am being asked when booting to a hard drive is a USB Drive with the Bitlocker Key. How do I create the USB Drive with the information available on my Microsoft Account?!

:)

Geo51, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Hùng(2) Win User

how to save a bitlocker recovery key to a USB drive

I have a bitlocker recovery key and don't know how to save it to my usb drive in case to use usb to unlock my locked drive. Please help

Hùng(2), Sep 28, 2020
  3. kevvyb Win User
    Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

1. Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    2. usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    3. clicked on save
    4. ONE bek key created on USB drive
    5. Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    6. USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    7. Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    8. clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

kevvyb, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

How recover from BitLocker failing to find the recover key on the USB

Hi Barry:

My name is Frank and I am member of this forum just like yourself.

A bored techie who likes to chime in once in a while.

Summarizing:

BitLocker failing to find the recover key on the USB

Answer:

To unlock or decrypt Bitlocker driver, we need to have the startup keys, I consider your USB should be the startup key which required to plug in when you encrypted the Drive.

This is different than the Recovery key, please follow these locations to find your recovery key to get your Bitlocker drive decrypted.

Depending on how your PC is set up, there are different ways to get your recovery key.

If your PC is connected to a domain

Contact your administrator to get your recovery key.

If your PC isn’t connected to a domain

There are several locations in which your BitLocker recovery key might have been saved. Here are some places to check:

Your Microsoft account online.

This option is only available on non-domain-joined PCs. To get your recovery key, go to BitLocker Recovery Keys.

A saved copy of the recovery key.

You might have saved a copy of the BitLocker recovery key to a file, a USB flash drive, or printed a hard copy.

If you saved the key to a file or printed it, find your copy, follow the instructions on your locked PC, and enter your key when prompted.

If you saved the key to a USB flash drive, insert the USB flash drive and follow the instructions on your PC. (If you saved the recovery key as a file on the USB flash drive, you’ll need to open the file and manually enter the recovery key.)

And finally:

No, no way to unlock it without the password or recovery key as that would defeat the purpose of it if there was.

If you login with a MS account check the account online see if the key is there somewhere.

If part of an Active Directory Domain check if the key is stored there.

FranklinLopez-Henriquez, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

1. Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Recover Key

2. Need help to recover BitLocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help to recover BitLocker recovery key: I need help to recover my BitLocker recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-to-recover-bitlocker-recovery-key/f2be5c47-8fa6-4ee4-a226-a8e8e737381c
  3. How to recover bitlocker key ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover bitlocker key ?: How to recover bitlocker key ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-bitlocker-key/e3f84bb8-03d9-46dc-8420-901244c56cee
  4. How to recover bitlocker key ?

How to recover bitlocker key ?: How to recover bitlocker key ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-bitlocker-key/e3f84bb8-03d9-46dc-8420-901244c56cee
  5. How to recover bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover bitlocker key: Need to get bitlocker key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-bitlocker-key/13117dea-798d-4c01-b5d1-92e0fde6235c
  6. How to recover bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover bitlocker key: Need to get bitlocker key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-bitlocker-key/13117dea-798d-4c01-b5d1-92e0fde6235c
  7. How to recover bitlocker key

8. Need to recover bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to recover bitlocker recovery key: Hi, from one day to the other my computer don't accept the administrator password. Does not allow me to sign with any other profile. After trying to reset the password by a couple of programs, I was ready to reset/ reinstall the OS. When I try to do it, the computer is asking...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key is not saved to onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker recovery key is not saved to onedrive: Hello, I have recently encrypted 2 drives using bitlocker, and both times have selected the option to back up the keys to my cloud domain account. No error messages are displayed and the process seems to work. However, when I go to onedrive.com/recoverykey, I am told that I...
  10. how to recover the drive lock with bitlocker without recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to recover the drive lock with bitlocker without recovery key: Hello Sir, I have a problem with the bitlocker feature of Microsoft window10. I have lock my drive through bitlocker but due to some reason my window got corrupt. and I have to format the window in which I had the recover key. and I have formatted window first with...