Windows 10: Bitlocker recovery issue

Discus and support Bitlocker recovery issue in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi It appears that my usb stick with the startup and recovery key on it, which had been working for years, has just died. I thought I was covered and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kevvyb, May 4, 2021.

1. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker recovery issue

Hi It appears that my usb stick with the startup and recovery key on it, which had been working for years, has just died. I thought I was covered and as it turns out I was, found a duplicate bitlocker startup usb stick, phew. But for future reference want to understand how the bitlocker recovery screen, key and process should work. I was looking at the record I kept of the recovery key but could not make head or tail of this as this key was actually displayed on the bitlocker blue recovery screen! First question what is meant to be done with this 'recovery key' if just pressing escape displays the recovery key on the recovery screen? Second question, I was unable to try that or any other key as my laptop keyboard (UK config) would only register numbers on the bitlocker recovery screen, no letters. How would I get around this if it was my only backup method? If I had not remembered I had secreted a second usb key with decryption keys on it, I would have been stuffed until I could get to my other PC (in different part of country) to retrieve them to a new USB stick. Thanks for any light that can be shed ont his. In future I woudl like not to be relyign on just ne method but also have a second method.

:)

kevvyb, May 4, 2021

2. BitLocker Recovery Issues

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are getting BitLocker recovery key prompt, every time you turned on the laptop. We appreciate your effort in troubleshooting the issue.

Ideally, in Windows 10 BitLocker doesn’t come by default. It could be possible that the BitLocker got enabled during some updates, either Windows update or PC manufacturer update.

As you have mentioned that you are forced to input the BitLocker recovery key, which is incredibly a tedious process.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to disable the secure boot from the BIOS and check if you are able to bypass the BitLocker. Please refer the steps in this article:

Disabling Secure Boot

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 5, 2021
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 5, 2021
  4. Bitlocker recovery issue

recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker recovery issue

1. Bitlocker recovery issue - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recovery issue

2. Bitlocker Recovery issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Recovery issue: So sick and tired of trying to get a human on the phone because none of the "answered questions" hold no value for the issue I have, only to be auto-diconnected because it wants me to use the online FAQ's. I have a laptop which shows under my registered devices on Microsoft....
  3. Bitlocker recovery issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery issue: I am struggling to get my Bitlocker recovery key from Saturday. I could see my laptop showing in my account. However I am getting a traceID and some message:”something happened. Wait a bit, then try again. If this issue persists, contact us”. I am not able to work and it’s so...
  4. Bitlocker Recovery issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Recovery issue: My Thinkpad has been deactivated, not allowing me to put in my Bitlocker recovery code. I have the ID the microsft account that has the device but no access to my bitlocker code beacuse the device has been disabled...
  5. Bitlocker Recovery issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery issue: My Thinkpad has been deactivated, not allowing me to put in my Bitlocker recovery code. I have the ID the microsft account that has the device but no access to my bitlocker code beacuse the device has been disabled...
  6. Bitlocker Recovery issues

Bitlocker Recovery issues: Hi Experts,We have a Windows 11-based domain joined machine and we enabled BitLocker on C and D Drive with Startup PIN.Recently due to some issues with the operating system, we clean the operating system partition through format and re-install the operating system.Issue:...
  7. Bitlocker Recovery issues

Bitlocker Recovery issues: Hi Experts,We have a Windows 11-based domain joined machine and we enabled BitLocker on C and D Drive with Startup PIN.Recently due to some issues with the operating system, we clean the operating system partition through format and re-install the operating system.Issue:...
  8. Bitlocker Recovery Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Recovery Issue: Hello!I am a technician at a relatively small organization, and we have a few laptops that we are having Bitlocker issues with. Whenever the machine enters the Bitlocker lockout, it does not give you the option to enter in the key, it asks for the keyboard layout and then...
  9. Bitlocker Recovery Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery Issue: Hello!I am a technician at a relatively small organization, and we have a few laptops that we are having Bitlocker issues with. Whenever the machine enters the Bitlocker lockout, it does not give you the option to enter in the key, it asks for the keyboard layout and then...
  10. Bitlocker Recovery Issue