Windows 10: Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup

Discus and support Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am always asked for my bitlocker recovery key when my Win 10 PC boots. I do knpw my recovery code and when I enter it, the boot continues normally.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Neil13764, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Neil13764 Win User

Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup

I am always asked for my bitlocker recovery key when my Win 10 PC boots. I do knpw my recovery code and when I enter it, the boot continues normally.

I would like to eliminate the need to enter my recovery code every time, so please tell me how to eliminate it.

:)

Neil13764, Nov 1, 2020

2. BitLocker Recovery Key request

Have found my BitLocker Recovery Key and input. All good. Turn off Surface Pro3 and then turn on again and the request for the BitLocker Recovery Key comes up again? Why does this continue to come up?

HarrySpacie, Nov 1, 2020
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 1, 2020
  4. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

1. Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    2. usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    3. clicked on save
    4. ONE bek key created on USB drive
    5. Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    6. USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    7. Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    8. clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

kevvyb, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker recovery Key Always Requested on Startup - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recovery Key

2. URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY: I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running Win 10 Pro. This weekend during a storm the computer died and will not restart. I took it to a local shop where of course they asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My MS Acct shows that MS cannot locate the device and the 'Manage recovery...
  3. URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY: I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running Win 10 Pro. This weekend during a storm the computer died and will not restart. I took it to a local shop where of course they asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My MS Acct shows that MS cannot locate the device and the 'Manage recovery...
  4. URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?: Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka....
  6. Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker: is the USB startup key the same as the recovery key?: Hi guys,I want to encrypt my computer with bitlocker, using the USB startup key.But when my computer gets stolen, the disk can be put inside another computer. Can the plain text visible startup key on the USB then unlock the drive? Or are these keys different?Thanks!Tonka....
  7. Request For Recovery Key

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Request For Recovery Key: To the person-in-charge, My colleague had changed his laptop login password and for some reason, the password was not able to login successfully and it was being locked out. Was wondering if someone can contact me for the recovery key to start the laptop again. My...
  8. Restart Always Requires Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restart Always Requires Bitlocker Recovery Key: On my new Lenovo Thinkpad X270, I disabled TPM and switched from UEFI to Compatibility mode so that I could boot from a CD that required this. When I switched the settings back and rebooted, I was asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My first question is why was I asked...
  9. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...
  10. Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key: I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process. To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in...