Windows 10: Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

Discus and support Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Em05, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Em05 Win User

Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned to my Microsoft account. Even though my computer is registered with that account, there is no bitlocker key associated with it. How do I recover the bitlocker key if it doesn't appear that one was ever created? Please help

:)

2. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Oct 23, 2021
  3. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access
    my hard drive

Christopher Morrison3, Oct 23, 2021
  4. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

1. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recovery key

2. Create external hard drive recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create external hard drive recovery drive: Attach the external hard drive to which the recovery is required. Insert a USB flash or use DVD drive, these are not the target drive but are required by the recovery software otherwise it will not work..So click on Control Panel, select Recovery then Create a Rcovery...
  3. Create external hard drive recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create external hard drive recovery drive: Attach the external hard drive to which the recovery is required. Insert a USB flash or use DVD drive, these are not the target drive but are required by the recovery software otherwise it will not work..So click on Control Panel, select Recovery then Create a Rcovery...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  5. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  6. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  7. Bitlocker recovery key for external drive isn't working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker recovery key for external drive isn't working: When I try to use the recovery key, it says: "Digit group 7 contains an error" I'm just pasting it in submitted by /u/KipPurdy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dkfvq6/bitlocker_recovery_key_for_external_drive_isnt/
  8. Bitlocker recovery key - for external hard desk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker recovery key - for external hard desk: Hello, 8 months ago I used WD my passport on my work laptop to store 14 years of data! since my previous employer mandates encryption I had to use bitlocker password. Since 2 months I have been trying to access he hard desk with no luck, I keep on getting the message "the...
  9. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...
  10. BitLocker Key for External Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Key for External Drive: I just encrypted my external drive with BitLocker, and chose "Save to your cloud domain account" as one of my backups for my Recovery Key. When I log on to my MSFT account, I see the recovery key for my PC (uploaded about a year ago), but not for my external drive. Does it...