Windows 10: Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13

Discus and support Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I updated my laptop and it seems update could not finish properly and somehow BitLocker is activated in both partition C and D, I don't know how. Now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pramodpantha, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13

I updated my laptop and it seems update could not finish properly and somehow BitLocker is activated in both partition C and D, I don't know how. Now I have a problem booting my laptop. If it boots properly, it asks for a recovery key and I have a recovery key for C partition where I have my all OS files. But I don't find the recovery key for D partition I already checked my Microsoft account, all the possible external drives I might have connected on the first day of the partition. I need to recover the data from the partition D. Any help provided will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

:)

pramodpantha, Jun 22, 2020

2. BitLocker Recovery key not found

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 running Windows 10.1 Home. Here's what happened:

• I was using Spotify one day and my computer started hanging. So I restarted the computer via the Start menu.
    • The computer went into automatic repair and then automatic repair failed. I disabled automatic repair using bcdedit and rebooted.
    • Then the computer went into Windows recovery. When I was exploring the different options on recovery, I noticed that some of them requested for the Bitlocker recovery key before I could proceed.
    • This was the first time I knew of BitLocker’s existence, so I definitely did not activate BitLocker manually. I’m not sure how my internal SSD contents got encrypted on their own.
    • I tried solutions like secure boot in BIOS, resetting BIOS settings to their defaults, all with no luck. At one point I also re-enabled Automatic repair.
    • Now, when the affected computer is booted up, I am brought to the BitLocker recovery screen.
    Based on my reading and conversations with Microsoft Tech Support, when a Windows 10 Home computer is purchased, and the user signs in to a Microsoft account on first startup, BitLocker is setup automatically.

So I went to that same Microsoft account that I used to setup the affected computer.

Sure enough, my device was listed there:

Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13 a07e7747-625b-474c-8701-a41b851df395?upload=true.png

It even told me BitLocker was ON when I clicked “Manage”.

Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13 9e7a33dd-27d6-476b-a55c-5d91c86e261d?upload=true.png

However when I clicked “Manage recovery key” and I got past the 2 factor authentication, I got this…

Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13 43182919-90e8-4a49-9a71-7546fc588355?upload=true.png

? It seems that no recovery key is associated with my account. But how is that possible given that this was the correct account that was used to setup the device, the device is listed in the account, and it even tells me BitLocker ON?

Regarding the other possibilities where BitLocker recovery keys may be found:

1. The hyperlinks Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online., aka.ms/recoverykey also don't work.
    2. This is a home computer, so the recovery key cannot be on Azure Active Directory services.
    3. Since BitLocker was activated by itself, there’s also no way the recovery key could be on a printout.
    4. I’ve already checked all my USB drives and no recovery key was present.

The data in my computer is valuable so I can't afford to format the disk.

Could someone help? Thanks.

Moved from: Outlook.com / Security, privacy, accounts / Other

***Original Title: BitLocker locked my drive by itself after failed automatic repair and recovery key is missing***

clarethepear, Jun 26, 2020
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 26, 2020
  4. kevvyb Win User

Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13

Bitlocker Process - 2 bek (startup) keys and one recovery key

I don't know if this what should happen but I was watching the process of key storage as I went through the BitLocker encryption process.

To see what was happening on the usb drive to which I was saving the startup and recovery keys I had to enable 'show system files' in order to see the .bek key.* I have seen posts stating that these are 'hidden files'. Maybe they are both? I am assuming that if the restart to check that usb key works succeeds, then presumably the machine is 'booting' from the usb key (.bek file)...?

1. Turned bitlocker on the C drive
    2. usb drive was preselected to save STARTUP KEY
    3. clicked on save
    4. ONE bek key created on USB drive
    5. Question re save location for recovery key > selected save to usb flash drive
    6. USB drive preselected > clicked on save
    7. Another bek key and recovery key saved with same timestamp
    8. clicked on next > encrypt entire drive > run check > restart
    So TWO .bek (startup) keys......Does anyone know why two?

One for each partition although I did not yet have BitLocker turned on my data partition.
    Or maybe one for the Windows recovery partition?* Although I thought I had read that this remained unencrypted...?

kevvyb, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13

1. Bitlocker recovery key not found for one of the partition in window10 dell xps13 - Similar Threads - Bitlocker recovery key

2. Dell technician replaced defective laptop board and bitlocker recovery key is not found on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell technician replaced defective laptop board and bitlocker recovery key is not found on...: Dell technician replaced defective motherboard and the system is saying no bitlocker recovery key is found on my laptop. I need help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-technician-replaced-defective-laptop-board/cc2abd43-4b60-403f-a5f0-3c40fdf4d129
  3. BitLocker Recovery key not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Recovery key not found: I too have the same bitlocker issue after Dell decided to change the motherboard in my Precision 5560. I tried looking into all my microsoft accounts, Personal and even in the Azure AD without results. It actually shows that there is key stored for my device. PLease help, i...
  4. BitLocker Recovery key not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Recovery key not found: I too have the same bitlocker issue after Dell decided to change the motherboard in my Precision 5560. I tried looking into all my microsoft accounts, Personal and even in the Azure AD without results. It actually shows that there is key stored for my device. PLease help, i...
  5. BitLocker Recovery key not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. DELL XPS13 9365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DELL XPS13 9365: DELL XPS13 9365windous11cpuCPUcorei7-7y75CPU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E7%8F%BE%E5%9C%A8dell-xps13/9707010c-9869-4d55-9deb-b5fa0a7ac1bf
  7. Cant found bitlock recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant found bitlock recovery key: Hi Every oneToday, my XPS 13 laptop did a system update Windows 10. After the update, the system shows a blue screen and asks for the BitLocker recovery key. This is my personal computer and it is connected with my MS account. I can find it on the devised page on my MS...
  8. BitLocker Recovery key not found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker Recovery key not found: Hi All I have an Asus Zenbook bought a month ago running Windows 10 Home 1903. Here's what happened: After Windows update The computer restarted and ran into SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED stopcode. After that any attempt to recover requires recoverykey Somehow the...
  9. BitLocker recovery key not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key not found: Hello, My laptop is asking for a BitLocker recovery key, which is not something I have in my MSft account, nor recall having seen when I purchased the device. Does anyone know a way to find this out and/or get around it? I have searched my Msft account thoroughly, and...
  10. Dell xps13

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell xps13: I just got the new Dell skylake xps13 16gb/1tb with touch screen. Has anyone managed to revert to windows 7? I a really struggling with Windows 10 and want to go back to what works. Thanks Thomas 35197