Windows 10: BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

Discus and support BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; May you please assist. We have recently noted that most of our new purchased computers in my organisation have BitLocker enabled automatically when the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Elizabeth Madondo, Jan 28, 2021.

1. BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

May you please assist. We have recently noted that most of our new purchased computers in my organisation have BitLocker enabled automatically when the machine is setup. Users are are not aware that they have BitLocker since BitLocker seems not to have been setup to require pin at start up but the moment the machine gets locked, it will require a recovery password which users do not have. As IT Security, we have been manually enabling BitLocker using a Group Policy and we are centrally managing or saving the recovery passwords on AD. However, for the new machines which we have not yet added on the AD BitLocker group, we are failing to assist users to retrieve their BitLocker passwords once their machines gets locked and prompt for the recovery password. On a user machine that I am currently troubleshooting, I cant find the recovery password on AD as it was not enabled through Group Policy. I also checked the recovery password under the user device on Azure AD and there is no recovery password. On the locked machine, there is also a Microsoft URL given on window prompting for BitLocker recovery password where its says you can use your school or work account to retrieve your key aka.ms/aadrecoverykey but unfortunately the user does not have a Microsoft account and we do not have Microsoft accounts in my company as we all use domain accounts. How best can we retrieve the recovery passwords when BitLocker was enabled automatically and the recovery password is not managed centrally.

:)

Elizabeth Madondo, Jan 28, 2021

2. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Viruzz Win User

BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

1. BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically - Similar Threads - BitLocker Recovery Key

2. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key: We have turned our laptop on today and it is asking for the Bitlocker recovery key, we do not have this recovery key and we have checked our Microsoft account, after checking on the internet it seems there is no way to get past this screen without the relevant key, as this is...
  5. bitlocker recovery key

bitlocker recovery key: I am using lenovo G-50-80 with windows 10 . Recently i am unable to unlock one of my drive protected with Bitlocker. The problem is the recovery key is saved in that lock drive by mistake. I tried each and everything to find out . Kindly please help me out to unlock my drive...
  6. bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker recovery key: I am using lenovo G-50-80 with windows 10 . Recently i am unable to unlock one of my drive protected with Bitlocker. The problem is the recovery key is saved in that lock drive by mistake. I tried each and everything to find out . Kindly please help me out to unlock my drive...
  7. BitLocker recovery key

BitLocker recovery key: I was trying to switch back to windows 10 from 11 and now it is prompting me for a bitlocker recovery key, does anyone know how to get this? When I go to my microsoft account and search devices it tells me I am at the wrong URL?...
  8. Bitlocker - Enabling Recovery Key -

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker - Enabling Recovery Key -: Dear Sir/Madam, Last Monday I was having problems with probably the BIOS start-up system. This activated the Bitlocker security system. In the following step I tried to log into my Online Microsoft Account to enable the 'Recovery Key'. But during this step Microsoft didn't...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key: Kindly help me in getting my bitlocker recovery key as i forgot the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key/a2c562b4-ba74-4d9b-8caa-bd6043d07cd7
  10. Recovery key after disalbe and enable BitLocker

Recovery key after disalbe and enable BitLocker: Is recovery key of BitLocker going to be changed if you turn off BitLocker then turn on BitLocker again? I got error during manual windows update on my Windows 10 box, and I am thinking it may be because of BitLocker because I found BitLocker got suspended after windows...