Windows 10: BitLocker Recovery Key Stored in Azure AD not Microsoft Account

Discus and support BitLocker Recovery Key Stored in Azure AD not Microsoft Account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a personal Microsoft account, which I use to log into two machines, a desktop and a laptop. I own both machines. I also have an Office 365... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by disstopic, Oct 10, 2019.

1. disstopic Win User

BitLocker Recovery Key Stored in Azure AD not Microsoft Account

I have a personal Microsoft account, which I use to log into two machines, a desktop and a laptop. I own both machines.

I also have an Office 365 account, and I am the admin of this for our company. I have two OneDrives, one personal, and one connected to Sharepoint on Office365. I also use Outlook, which is connected to both Outlook.com for my personal email, and Office365 for work email.

I log onto both machines using my Microsoft Account. Neither machine is connected to a domain.

When I try to back up my Bitlocker key from the Surface Book, I am not given the option to save it to my Microsoft account. I am given the option to save it to my "cloud domain account." When I do this, the key is saved in Azure, under Users.

I don't really want this. It's a personal laptop, I own it, and I'd like to be able to access the Bitlocker key even if I am no longer at my current organisation. I'd like to save the key to my Microsoft account.

Why is this happening, and how can I remove whatever hooks Azure AD has got in my laptop, while retaining access to the Office365 OneDrive / Sharepoint and Office365 email?

Or, how can I force the key to be saved in my personal Microsoft Account, and not in the organisations Azure AD account?

:)

disstopic, Oct 10, 2019

2. Bitlocker and Azure Active Directory

When setting up Bitlocker on an Azure AD connected device, you have the following options: https://i.imgur.com/MHbPBu6.png

A question about the exact wording of "Save to your cloud domain account". IMO that's not totally clear where it stores it. It infers, to me, that it would save it against my user domain account. However, I suspect it's saved against the device in Azure
    AD as that's the only place I can see this. Is this correct?

At the moment, the laptops are set-up by IT using their own account and a key step is to save the Bitlocker key. However, when a user first logs on, we also save it there. I suspect this later step is not needed.

Supplemental question - on the page linked below (which is the link from the Bitlocker screen), it says to access your Microsoft Azure account to get the Bitlocker key:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

Can I also confirm that this misleading for normal users as the profile page that this takes you to has no information about Bitlocker:

https://i.imgur.com/MeWkcdN.png

And that the only way a user can retrieve their Bitlocker recovery key is to ask an admin with access to the Azure portal to look it up based upon their computer name?

Rob-Nicholson-Malt, Oct 10, 2019
  3. BitLocker Recovery Key

Hi Nanda,

You should see your key in there correct? Does it say numerical or recovery key within that txt file anywhere?

I know you’ve probably seen this, but wanted to pass it along anyways:

Here is a list of your options for your BitLocker Recovery Key

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402618...

- On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.

- Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive in to your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.

- In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to BitLocker Recovery Keys.

- In your Azure Active Directory account. For work PCs where you sign in with an Azure Active Directory account, to get your recovery key, see the device info for your Microsoft Azure account.

Let me know, if you have that file, you should be able to open it and see your key.

- C

Charlie Klausen, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Joe Men Win User

USB Bitlocker Key

Hello
    Arambu

Here are other places to look for your BitLocker key:

• In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
      BitLocker Recovery Keys
    • In your Azure Active Directory account. For work PCs where you sign in with an Azure Active Directory account, to get your recovery key, see the device info for your

Microsoft Azure account

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after looking at the steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Joe Men, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. BitLocker Recovery Key Stored in Azure AD not Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - BitLocker Recovery Key

2. Bitlocker recovery key is not in my microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker recovery key is not in my microsoft account: When I sign in I can see details of my laptop etc but when I click on bitlocker recovery keys, I get an error message saying try a different URL. Please help. I don't want to wipe my whole laptop and lose all my information....
  3. Why turning on bitlocker asks me to save key on Azure AD account and not microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why turning on bitlocker asks me to save key on Azure AD account and not microsoft account?: I do not know what an Azure account is. I am logged in Windows 11 pro with my personal microsoft account. When turning on bitlocker on local disk, why can't I save key to my microsoft account?TIA.....
  4. Why turning on bitlocker asks me to save key on Azure AD account and not microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why turning on bitlocker asks me to save key on Azure AD account and not microsoft account?: I do not know what an Azure account is. I am logged in Windows 11 pro with my personal microsoft account. When turning on bitlocker on local disk, why can't I save key to my microsoft account?TIA.....
  5. Bitlocker recovery key is not shown in Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key is not shown in Microsoft account: Hi! I have a PC with both Linux and Windows. When trying to boot Windows I'm greeted with a Bitlocker screen. I said to go tohttps://aka.ms/myrecoverykey and enter my unique device code to retrieve my Bitlocker code to unencrypt my harddrive. However when I go to that url is...
  6. Bitlocker Recovery Key - Microsoft Account Determination

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Recovery Key - Microsoft Account Determination: Is there a way to determine what Microsoft account a bitlocker recovery key ID is a part of? Our surface pro 3 installed bitlocker without our involvement not sure how or why but that's another discussion. The 2 Microsoft accounts that we have do not have any bitlocker...
  7. Save bitlocker keys to Azure AD?

Save bitlocker keys to Azure AD?: Hi,I have a personal laptop which has Teams installed.During the Teams installation/login, I made sure uncheck the box that allows my organization to manage my device.Today, I was managing my bitlocker keys and noticed this laptop has an option I have never seen before - save...
  8. BitLocker Recovery Key: How To Backup to Microsoft Account Instead of Azure AD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker Recovery Key: How To Backup to Microsoft Account Instead of Azure AD?: Hi, I am trying to backup my BitLocker Recovery Keys to my Microsoft Account, but the option is not there, it has been replaced by the option to backup to Azure AD account. I do not have a personal subscription to Azure AD, although I can connect to my workplace's Azure...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key no Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery key no Microsoft account: I cannot find the bitlocker code. No Microsoft login, but I have a recovery key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key-no-microsoft-account/6268bb9e-8a34-4374-8ea8-7e468db03fe2
  10. BitLocker Recovery Key not stored in Microsoft Account

BitLocker Recovery Key not stored in Microsoft Account: Here is the sequence of events that resulted in me unable to access the data on my additional HDD. 30th August - Purchased new computer and installed windows 10 64-bit Pro on 500GB internal harddrive. 4th September - Added another 2TB harddrive and moved my personal...