Windows 10: Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

Discus and support Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ron_21, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Ron_21 Win User

Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the bitlocker key on the Windows 7 Pro computer?

:)

Ron_21, Nov 25, 2021
  2. sygnus21 Win User

BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

Looking for an answer and getting the right answer are two different things.

And I can't speak for "other" encryption tools, but YOU CAN encrypt a drive with BitLocker that already has data on it without issue. Going with personal experience; and I'm not the only one. Anyway....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...quirements-faq (under "How does BitLocker work")

Nothing suggests the drive needs to be data free to use BitLocker nor are there suggestions to do so. Regardless do what makes you feel comfortable.

Good luck *Smile

sygnus21, Nov 25, 2021
  3. Failure to unlock BitLocker encrypted HD after new windows 10 installation

Hello Kostas,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your
    operating system drive (the drive where Windows is installed), a
    fixed data drive (such as an internal hard drive), or a
    removable data drive
    (such as a USB flash drive).

The way you unlock an encrypted drive depends on two things:

• What kind of drive it is.
    • What kind of unlock method you chose when you set up BitLocker on the drive.
    I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps.

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 25, 2021
  4. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

How to remove bitlocker from system?

Hi Patrik,

BitLocker is a full disk encryption feature present on Windows.

It seems that the troubleshooting steps that you've tried are for Windows 7. We suggest checking this
    thread and follow the steps given by
    Johann Eva to remove BitLocker encryption.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Ronalene Mat, Nov 25, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

1. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Removing Encrypted

2. Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro that can encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. I am switching most of my work to a laptop with Windows 11 Home that does not seem to have capability to encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. If I encrypt an external HD with the Windows...
  3. Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro that can encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. I am switching most of my work to a laptop with Windows 11 Home that does not seem to have capability to encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. If I encrypt an external HD with the Windows...
  4. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  5. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  6. How to recover data from a BitLocker Encrypted External HD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover data from a BitLocker Encrypted External HD?: I was encrypting my external HDD using Bitlocker. At about 50%, the cable got unplugged. When I connected the HDD again, it says the drive is locked. When I enter the password, it does not accept. When I use the recovery key, it does not accept it as well. Bitlocker has...
  7. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  8. Bitlocker Removable Device Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Removable Device Encryption: We have just upgraded to SCCM 2006 and are testing the Bitlocker policies. We have successfully got fixed device encryption working but we are having real problems with Removable device encryption. With RD Encryption enabled, whenever I plug a USB device in it asks if I want...
  9. Windows update has encrypted HD with Bitlocker which was not turned on.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update has encrypted HD with Bitlocker which was not turned on.: Home PC is an Intel NUC815BEH with one Intel 660p 1TB SSD and 32GBCorsair Vengence RAM. It runs ran Window 10 Pro and is less than a year old.I had not come across Bitlocker. On powering up recently it was installing updates, then suddenly told me Process1 initalisation...
  10. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker: Hi everyone, I have set up BitLocker on my E:/ before (but I forgot to backup the key on Microsoft Account) However, when I install Windows, I have mistakenly clicked "Delete" E:/ , and all the data removed. After Windows installation, I have formatted E:/ , and want to...