Windows 10: Bitlocker self-activation - no recovery key

Discus and support Bitlocker self-activation - no recovery key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I upgraded my Windows 10 system last week. At the end of the upgrade, it advised that Avast wanted to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sspanna76, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Sspanna76 Win User

Bitlocker self-activation - no recovery key

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I upgraded my Windows 10 system last week. At the end of the upgrade, it advised that Avast wanted to upgrade as well, so I said yes and that upgrade went ahead.

However, somehow during that process Bitlocker has been triggered. I did not set up Bitlocker when I bought my laptop in February this year, so I do not have a recovery key. I've been speaking to Microsoft and they suggested that the Avast update might be responsible for this.

After speaking to Microsoft and Lenovo technocal support for days now, I still have no clear answers and can't get into my computer. I can't even do a clean install of Windows because I'm locked out of the c drive.

If anyone else is aware of this happening and know what the fix is, I will be forever grateful. Just to confirm, I did not set up Bitlocker so there is no recovery key - I've looked on the appropriate section of Microsoft's settings 50 times in the hope that it might appear, but no!

Also, one last idiosyncratic thing... I'm running Windows 10 Home which Microsoft say is not compatible with Bitlocker. So I'm actually stuck in a paradox!

Thank you in advance,
    Anna

:)

Sspanna76, Oct 20, 2020

2. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 20, 2020
  3. Bitlocker recovery key

Hello,

I'm the IT user-support person in a company and I have this issue with a corporate laptop (belong to a domain & Active Directory):

I received from a user his laptop "dead" (no power-on, nothing to start-it). Accordingly to company security policies I deliver the laptop in service with another blank disk (the same SSD type) because the original one contained data.

After receiving the fixed laptop from service, I changed back the disks by putting the original one at it place.

Now, it occur the issue: at first step of booting it request the Bitlocker recovery key because the disk was bitlocker encrypted before.

The bad-luck is that I don't have this Bitlocker recovery key nowhere: on the printed paper, USB memory stick and not even on the Active Directory.

Is strange, because ussually, the other workstations (laptops with bitlocker activated) have this information on Active Directory.

Maybe because of a possible cause: the laptop owner use to work at home with the laptop and the Active Directory didn't synchronized the information related to Bitlocker recovery key (like for other laptop used in LAN).

I have the "Recovery key ID" on the blue screen for the laptop but is useless because I cannot find the "Bitlocker recovery key" on Active Directory using it.

What do you suggest to do in this case?

Many thanks for any advice and answer.

Mircea Dumitrescu.

Mircea Dumitrescu (mdumitre), Oct 20, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Xylee Del, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker self-activation - no recovery key - Similar Threads - Bitlocker self activation

2. Activate bitlocker recovery key HP Slice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activate bitlocker recovery key HP Slice: Hi team,I have been trying to activate my bitlocker key but I am struggling to activate it. Somehow, the recovery key does not match with Bitlocker reovery key.Note, This is for HP SLICE....
  3. Activate bitlocker recovery key HP Slice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate bitlocker recovery key HP Slice: Hi team,I have been trying to activate my bitlocker key but I am struggling to activate it. Somehow, the recovery key does not match with Bitlocker reovery key.Note, This is for HP SLICE....
  4. Bitlocker recovery key

Bitlocker recovery key: We have turned our laptop on today and it is asking for the Bitlocker recovery key, we do not have this recovery key and we have checked our Microsoft account, after checking on the internet it seems there is no way to get past this screen without the relevant key, as this is...
  5. Bitlocker self-activated after upgrade to Windows 11- no recovery key available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker self-activated after upgrade to Windows 11- no recovery key available: My new ThinkPad X1 Carbon required a motherboard replacement after only six months. During that time I upgraded to Windows 11,After the motherboard work was complete we faced blue Bitlocker Key request screen to boot and the laptop has been a brick for two weeks.To my...
  6. Bitlocker self-activated after upgrade to Windows 11- no recovery key available

Bitlocker self-activated after upgrade to Windows 11- no recovery key available: My new ThinkPad X1 Carbon required a motherboard replacement after only six months. During that time I upgraded to Windows 11,After the motherboard work was complete we faced blue Bitlocker Key request screen to boot and the laptop has been a brick for two weeks.To my...
  7. bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker recovery key: I am using lenovo G-50-80 with windows 10 . Recently i am unable to unlock one of my drive protected with Bitlocker. The problem is the recovery key is saved in that lock drive by mistake. I tried each and everything to find out . Kindly please help me out to unlock my drive...
  8. BitLocker recovery key

BitLocker recovery key: I was trying to switch back to windows 10 from 11 and now it is prompting me for a bitlocker recovery key, does anyone know how to get this? When I go to my microsoft account and search devices it tells me I am at the wrong URL?...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery key: Kindly help me in getting my bitlocker recovery key as i forgot the password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key/a2c562b4-ba74-4d9b-8caa-bd6043d07cd7
  10. Bitlocker key or recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker key or recovery key: Help, i turned off my Dell computer a few hours later after a update i tried to reboot my compter but its asking for a bitlocker key or recovery key. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Dell support than microsoft support to no avail. They are both blaming the other while im...