Windows 10: Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot

Discus and support Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey everyone, last weekend I've custom build a new system which includes a TPM module so I can make use of the Bitlocker functionality but I've... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TheLunaticNeko, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot

Hey everyone,

last weekend I've custom build a new system which includes a TPM module so I can make use of the Bitlocker functionality but I've experienced some very strange behaviour when booting the system:

When I turn the system on from a full shutdown Bitlocker will ask me for a recovery everytime if my keyboard is plugged in, if I unplug the keyboard before turning the system on it boots up normally straight into windows. If I restart the system from within windows it will always ask me for a recovery key no matter if I unplug my keyboard first or not. I've tried two keyboards so far, both driverless, and it's the same behaviour no matter which of the two I use.

I've already tried the following to fix this problem:
    - suspended bitlocker and resuming it after reboot

- full bios, tpm and bitlocker reset

- played around with some tpm and secure boot settings in bios

- disabled PCR 2 in windows "TPM native UEFI firmware configuration" policy

all with no sucess or any changes to the behaviour.

System:

- Windows 10 Pro 2004

- Asrock Taichi x570

- Asrock TPM-SPI Module

- Ryzen 9 3900X

- 2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- System drive is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus

- Keyboards used are the Ducky One 2 SF and the Womier K66

:)

TheLunaticNeko, Sep 8, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update

Interestingly, my Cortana also presents such a list, no numbers.

Try 'The first' 'The second' etc.

...which works well, until.... the list of available options extends beyond the box as here:

Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot [​IMG]

So this British English-sounding voice starts reading them 'Which Minitool do you wanna open...'

And reads the list...after which I see

Oh, come on Microsoft, this is as pathetic as your start menu, where I see

- these shortcuts, each for a different program, being taken from the folders of 2,3,or 4 per program in my nested start menu.

Which is one of a number of reasons I choose to use Classic Shell start menu which actually works. Reliably.

dalchina, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Phillmont Win User
    Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot

1. Bitlocker strange behaviour on boot - Similar Threads - Bitlocker strange behaviour

2. Strange graphics card behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange graphics card behaviour: I recently changed my case and since then I have been having issues with my graphics card...specifically that after the bios boot screen I get a 'No signal' message on my TV. I have an RTX 2070 Super. I tried uninstalling the drivers and then I could boot into windows on...
  3. Strange LAN speed behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange LAN speed behaviour: I currently have 3 computers with windows 10 installed (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and I have a contract for Gigabit internet (1000 down/200 up). On the two laptops, using a LAN connection, speed is just fine at around 850/900 mbit/s. My desktop pc is a whole other story For...
  4. Strange behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange behaviour: I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a very strange thing happening with my computer. My monitor will just all of a sudden go black, then a message saying "no signal". My computer does no power down or restart, but at the same time I can do nothing with...
  5. Skype's strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype's strange behaviour: Win 10 Pro now ver 1909 build 18363.720 I have used Skype over different OS and got the latest version when I installed 10 over a year ago. It didn't work well as an App, so I adopted the Desktop version when prompted a few months later. Since then it has been working OK but...
  6. Store update strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store update strange behaviour: So a little earlier I did my usual routine of boot pc and open store app. I always manually check for updates to apps. One come up for store app itself. I clicked update but rather than do its normal close the store app and re launch on completion store app stayed open. In...
  7. Strange update behaviour

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Strange update behaviour: I have two PC's, my wife's and my own, both upgraded on line from 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The only difference is that my wife's PC is 32-bit and mine is 64-bit. Yesterday, my wife called me to say that something strange happened when she booted her PC and that it was now...
  8. Strange signin behaviour

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange signin behaviour: I changed my Windows signin to a 4 digit login, which works fine.... today i I noticed there were two signin options for my user account , exactly the same name, plus one other I have for a family member. i chose one of ' my' accounts and it asked for a password, I tried...
  9. Strange IP Behaviour

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange IP Behaviour: I live in Kolkata and use a Wishnet Unlimited Plan from my LCO - Tariff : Wish Net Private Limited : Best Broadband in Kolkta for the past few days whenever I try to access a few sites, I have to pass the cloudflare security check " One more step Please complete the...
  10. Strange behaviour on installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange behaviour on installation?: Hi, I have started installation/upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10 on my sisters laptop. She have the same MS account on the second gaming computer. The strange things that happend is that the gaming computer just got Windows 10 too, she had 8.1 and yes of course I wanted to...