Windows 10: Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive

Discus and support Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I connected by USB an external wd drive and I started the encryption on my disk and it went very well to 60% and then stoped for hours. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rui_F, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Rui_F Win User

Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive

Hello,

I connected by USB an external wd drive and I started the encryption on my disk and it went very well to 60% and then stoped for hours. I selected pause and after 30 minutes it did pause so I thought it was only taking more time so I selected resume, in a few minutes went to 62.9% so I believed everything was good. Until it stopped again and it stayed like that for 24h, after that I tried to pause again and nothing. I tried that for a lot of hours and no change in progress or stopping. My drive has a led that shows if the drive has been accessed and the led stopped stay permanent on, and no longer blinking like it was doing at the beginning of the process. My machine started to act very strange and I took the risk to restart since the encryption was not moving and nothing was happening on the drive.

After the machine rebooted I was not able to see the drive anymore, I can see the PC is detecting an external drive on the USB but I can't find it as a driver and nothing happens when I plug the drive to the machine, no request of password nothing.

I have the password and the recovery key in a different location.

Please help me with this since the information that I have on the drive is very important and that was the reason I was doing Bitlock in the first place

:)

Rui_F, Jan 19, 2021

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Bitlocker on multiple external drives

Hi Myron,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using bitlocker on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if bitlocker settings is incorrect.

I suggest you to try decrypting the volume for the multiple external drives and then reset the bitlocker for the multiple drives.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article.

Note: The step provided in the below link is also applicable in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...er-Drive-Encryption-and-decrypting-the-volume

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Stuck Pro

2. Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening: I am resetting my pcnot factory reset and for more than an hour it is preparing to reset and is stuck at 62%. I tried cancelling and trying it again but still gets stuck at 62%....
  3. Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening: I am resetting my pcnot factory reset and for more than an hour it is preparing to reset and is stuck at 62%. I tried cancelling and trying it again but still gets stuck at 62%....
  4. Win 11 reset stuck at 62%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 reset stuck at 62%: Hello! Just read this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-stuck-at-62/953db7dd-d286-4f67-92ce-786bdfb48cd1 and i got the same issue, but mine is in the windows 11 update. What should I do? Follow the win 10 guide or take another line action? Thanks for...
  5. Win 11 reset stuck at 62%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 reset stuck at 62%: Hello! Just read this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-stuck-at-62/953db7dd-d286-4f67-92ce-786bdfb48cd1 and i got the same issue, but mine is in the windows 11 update. What should I do? Follow the win 10 guide or take another line action? Thanks for...
  6. Reset stuck at 62%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset stuck at 62%: Tried to reset multiple times but it’s getting stuck in percentages of 60s. Let me know if something can be done or I’ll go for a Mac. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-stuck-at-62/953db7dd-d286-4f67-92ce-786bdfb48cd1
  7. Bitlocker for External Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker for External Drive: Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. I have 4TB external hard disk (3TB Filled) and I am thinking of enabling bitlocker on it. Would it be possible to suspend the encryption process and disconnect the drive to continue on another day? Previously while...
  8. External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro: I have removed a functional 1TB WD SATA drive from an out-of-service Win7 Asus machine. It was the sole drive, and there are/were no jumpers set. I have put it in my functional USB Star Tech SATA/IDE disk caddy in the proper slot, but it is not seen in File explorer. Other...
  9. External Hard drive issue win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive issue win 10 pro: Hiya Guys and Gals. My old win 10 HD wouldnt boot, I tried the turn off 3 times and waited for the "Repair Screen" to appear which kinda did then went blank took about 20 mins for it too work out what job it was supposed to be doing like bringing up the options menu. I went...
  10. Windows 10 Installation stuck at 62%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Installation stuck at 62%: I have decided to completely reset my laptop, clean it entirely of all personal files. However, my laptop has been stuck at “Installing features and drivers: Configuring settings 62%”. It isn’t frozen, but continues the laptop continues to restart despite not seeming to make...