Windows 10: Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause

Discus and support Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I have a serious problem with decrypting my external drive as it stuck at 65.5% and, the thing I tried: I tried to pause it but when I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jano11, Mar 20, 2020.

1. jano11 Win User

Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause

Hi all

I have a serious problem with decrypting my external drive as it stuck at 65.5% and, the thing I tried:

I tried to pause it but when I click pause after few seconds the window goes into Not Responding status and my whole computer slowing down.

I tried to use manage-bde command but this is the same as GUI, not responding.

My drive is set to Autounlock Mode, so soonest I plug it starts to decrypt, so it is constantly busy, so I can't even copy files.

So my question is how I can stop decryption process? or If you have any other solutions please let me know.

I use Windows 10 no TPM

:)

jano11, Mar 20, 2020

2. Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction in fixing the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

1. Open the command prompt as admin.
    2. Type in manage-bde –off <drive> and hit
      Enter.

manage-bde –resume <drive>
    manage-bde –on <drive>

Replace Drive by drive letter

1. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue

You may also refer the article Computer
    Crash: How To Use manage-bde To Recover A Partially Decrypted Hard Drive

for the detailed information.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    IT TechNet
    forums
    , where we have a dedicated team of experts who are equipped with the resources to guide you with the further steps to fix the issue.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 20, 2020
  3. BitLocker Decryption Paused..

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your immediate response.

I have followed the steps for my device (DBitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause :) in Windows PowerShell as mentioned by you but I got the following result mentioning "the device is not ready". Please help with any alternate solution.

Thanks

C:\WINDOWS\system32> manage-bde -status

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.16299

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Disk volumes that can be protected with

BitLocker Drive Encryption:

Volume C: [Windows]

[OS Volume]

Size: 464.15 GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Used Space Only Encrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%

Encryption Method: XTS-AES 128

Protection Status: Protection On

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Key Protectors:

Numerical Password

TPM

Volume D: [comicider]

[Data Volume]

Size: 931.51 GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Decryption Paused

Percentage Encrypted: 0.1%

Encryption Method: AES 128 with Diffuser

Protection Status: Protection Off

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Automatic Unlock: Disabled

Key Protectors:

Numerical Password

Password

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "D:"

Disable-BitLocker : The device is not ready. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070015)

At line:1 char:1

+ Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "D:"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause :)) [Write-Error], FileNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,Disable-BitLocker

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> manage-bde -off D:

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.16299

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x80070015):

The device is not ready.

Subhradeep Ghosh, Mar 20, 2020
  4. Hamza.zon Win User

Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

i locked one of partition in my laptop with bitlocker. every thing was working fine until i decided to unlock/decrypt it again.

i did this by following simple steps, and when it started decrypting i unknowingly restarted my laptop, now it is paused and there is no way i can resume it again.

i can access the partition without any error but the little decrypting window is very annoying, can you please tell me how i resume it or get rid of it?

some pictures are attached for clarification.

Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause acf0a6ec-e2ee-4fbf-843a-da29cb1dc42b?upload=true.jpg

Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause be256a44-2ec7-4e28-8499-2e9a74a103eb?upload=true.jpg

Thanks in Advance!

Hamza.zon, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker stuck decrypting, unable to pause - Similar Threads - Bitlocker stuck decrypting

2. Bitlocker stuck on decrypting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker stuck on decrypting: So i dont know why when i go to disk management it shows that my Locak Disk C: was bitlocker encrypted, so i tried decrypting it from manage bitlocker, But now its stuck on decrypting,...
  3. Bitlocker stuck on decrypting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker stuck on decrypting: So i dont know why when i go to disk management it shows that my Locak Disk C: was bitlocker encrypted, so i tried decrypting it from manage bitlocker, But now its stuck on decrypting,...
  4. BitLocker Decryption Stuck

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Decryption Stuck: Hi Guys I am been driven crazy here. I turned off BitLocker through the GUI control panel however after a while the computer became unusable. The HDD utilization sits at 100%. I have tried restarting. I have tried disabling TPM in the BIOS as was suggested in another thread....
  5. Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck

Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck: I plugged in an external HD that was protected by bitlocker. A pop-up windows shows that Decryption is paused at 73.1. [ATTACH] There is a resume button but when clicked, it only makes it worse and the window is Not Responding. On cmd, I checked manage-bde -status: I...
  6. Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker decryption paused at 73.1% and stuck: I plugged in an external HD that was protected by bitlocker. A pop-up windows shows that Decryption is paused at 73.1. There is a resume button but when clicked, it only makes it worse and window is Not Responding. On cmd, I checked manage-bde -status: Volume F: [MEDIA...
  7. Bitlocker stuck decrypting

Bitlocker stuck decrypting: i have a 2TB drive almost full, i have started the decrytion and it is stuck at 77% for about a week now. I have tried everything. There is no suspend or pause option in bitlocker manager. I have tried manage bde in CMD and when i try to pause it just sits there for days. i...
  8. Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.: i locked one of partition in my laptop with bitlocker. every thing was working fine until i decided to unlock/decrypt it again. i did this by following simple steps, and when it started decrypting i unknowingly restarted my laptop, now it is paused and there is no way i can...
  9. Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker Decryption paused and does not resume.: i locked one of partition in my laptop with bitlocker. every thing was working fine until i decided to unlock/decrypt it again. i did this by following simple steps, and when it started decrypting i unknowingly restarted my laptop, now it is paused and there is no way i can...
  10. BitLocker Decryption Paused..

BitLocker Decryption Paused..: Hi, Unfortunately, some days before, I started BitLocker encryption for my 1 TB external hard disc. My bad mistake. The encryption was not finished successfully. After that, whenever the disc is inserted, it is saying that there is error in encryption and the disc is not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker decrypting stuck at 91.5% completed