Windows 10: Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector

Discus and support Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Bitlocker stuck at 70% due to bad sector. I am unable to backup any files from the drive as it is also stuck at 100% usage. The device,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/waloshin, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector

Bitlocker stuck at 70% due to bad sector. I am unable to backup any files from the drive as it is also stuck at 100% usage.

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

submitted by /u/waloshin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/waloshin, Oct 29, 2019

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Oct 29, 2019
  3. BAD SECTORS ON HDD, REFORMAT AND REINSTALL W10 FREE UPGRADE

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with the response to our questions.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps. Remove your external Hard drive and perform the steps on your system:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.

• In the command prompt window, type
      “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.

• Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.

• Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.
    Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the
    data available on that sector might b
    e lost.

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 29, 2019
  4. S-and-S Win User

Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector

Bad sectors

1. 0xc000020 is not an error attributable to bad sectors.

2. Bad sectors aren't contagious - they don't spread to other sectors.

It's clear to me that you're bent on fixing a problem that may not even exist, so I'll wish you well and leave you in the hands of Directly's 'independent advisors' who will, no doubt, come up with something that you want to hear.

S-and-S, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector

1. Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector - Similar Threads - Bitlocker stuck due

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  5. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  6. Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors: I have an HDD on my laptop with lots of bad sectors (CrystalDiskInfo said that my HDD is already in bad condition), I'm going to get a free replacement but I can't afford to have a day without a laptop for now, since the replacement will take 4-14 days. I also don't have any...
  7. Help With Bad Sectors

Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  8. Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors: (For background, I ran a Macrium Reflect image backup on December 22, 2019 and it worked) So I ran a new Macrium Reflect (free home version) image backup a short while ago, and it failed at the end; I got the "Macrium backup aborted unable to read from disk error code 23"...
  9. Bad sectors in HDD question

Bad sectors in HDD question: I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do...
  10. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker stuck on bad sector

2. bitlocker bad sectors