Windows 10: Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

Discus and support Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by eDonkey, Jan 26, 2022.

1. eDonkey Win User

Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the Laptop, Bitlocker turned on I forgot to disable it, before changing stuff in the UEFINow my problem is, I didn't back up my Bitlocker recovery key or password anywhere, because I didn't think about Bitlocker.I followed the "steps" described in this post, but I couldn't find a recovery key.So now my Laptop is stuck on Bitlocker recovery screen and I don't know how to unlock it.I've been thinking about creating a bootstick with a Windows 10 imag

:)

eDonkey, Jan 26, 2022
  2. lx07 Win User

Secure Boot and Bitlocker

You don't need secure boot. You can have it on or off as you wish.

If you change the secure boot setting (on to off or vv) though by fiddling with the BIOS settings it will trigger a change that requires your whole 48 digit bitlocker key to be entered so if you want to change it suspend bitlocker and then restart (so you can make your BIOS change).

You need to do the same "suspend bitlocker/reboot" cycle for any other BIOS change that impacts on boot.

3. lx07 Win User
    Secure Boot and Bitlocker

Doesn't matter either way.

I leave it off as I like to boot from USB sometimes so I don't like secure boot.

The only thing to consider is if you want to change it (either from "on to off" or "off to on") then you'll need to suspend bitlocker before you do or bitlocker will prompt you for a recovery key as it saw a change in boot setup.

Once bitlocker is running it will be OK until you change something (change a BIOS setting, try to boot from a different disk etc).

4. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings - Similar Threads - Bitlocker turned changing

2. Can't boot after turning on Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot after turning on Secure Boot: I can't get windows to boot after turning on Secure Boot in BIOS, my disk is formatted in GPT, my BIOS is in UEFI and I've just reinstalled windows literally 30 minutes ago thinking it was going to solve my problem and yet I still can't get windows to boot after enabling...
  3. Can't boot after turning on Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot after turning on Secure Boot: I can't get windows to boot after turning on Secure Boot in BIOS, my disk is formatted in GPT, my BIOS is in UEFI and I've just reinstalled windows literally 30 minutes ago thinking it was going to solve my problem and yet I still can't get windows to boot after enabling...
  4. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  5. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  6. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings: System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the Laptop, Bitlocker turned on I forgot to disable it, before changing stuff in the UEFINow my problem is, I didn't back up my...
  7. Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker turned on after changing secure boot settings: System: Surface Laptop 3, Windows 10 HomeIncident:I was fiddling around in the UEFI Settings and changed the Secure Boot option.After restarting the Laptop, Bitlocker turned on I forgot to disable it, before changing stuff in the UEFINow my problem is, I didn't back up my...
  8. Secure Boot and Bitlocker

Secure Boot and Bitlocker: If I have BitLocker enabled on my system, do I have to enable Secure Boot as well? If BitLocker is enabled, does that mean I must enable Secure Boot? Or, can I just leave Secure Boot disabled? 90970
  9. BitLocker and Secure Boot questions

BitLocker and Secure Boot questions: Secure Boot 1. I had been hesitant enabling Secure Boot because I am just afraid it might cause issues and slow down my laptop's boot time. Secondly, if I reinstall Windows 10 using my bootable USB flash drive, will I have to disable Secure Boot temporarily before...
  10. BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker after enabling boot to startup settings with winaero: Hi, I have a serious problem. I enabled the boot to startup settings option in winaero and now my computer boots to bitlocker. I checked online and I don't have the key for it. What can I do? (Computer is surface pro 3 i5 4g of ram) 25458

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recovery key after removing secure boot