Windows 10: BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Discus and support BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Manoj_Bhatt, Jul 7, 2019.

1. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro

Hello,

I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows professional Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063. The external drive was encrypted using this system (the same I am reporting now) and worked before. Now, when attached the drive, it says I need to unlock- as usual. Then I get an error message that states that I need a newer version of windows to open the device and that my current windows system is not compatible:

"The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows."

No option to enter my passcode is given, it just closes the dialogue window. I have my passcode and my recovery key, but there is no opportunity to use it.

When I use file explore to find the drive, and attempt to unlock there or via BitLocker, I receive the same message.

My drive is a Samsung. I used the driver manager and it can inspect the driver for corruption without unlocking it. The driver integrity is intact. It lonely recognizes it as local Disk not as a backup. This is accurate, there are only files on this drive, it was not formatted to be a back up.

I tried opening on a different laptop with windows 10 and the same message popped up. I also tried a windows 7 the driver is recognized as a not accessible local disk.

I also tried to unlock it from elevated command prompt as administrator, and used command manage-bde..............

but unable to decrypt the hard disk.

Thanks,

Manoj Bhatt

:)

Manoj_Bhatt, Jul 7, 2019

2. Bitlocker on multiple external drives

Hi Myron,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using bitlocker on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if bitlocker settings is incorrect.

I suggest you to try decrypting the volume for the multiple external drives and then reset the bitlocker for the multiple drives.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article.

Note: The step provided in the below link is also applicable in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...er-Drive-Encryption-and-decrypting-the-volume

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 7, 2019
  3. I can not Successfully DECRYPT my BitLocker-Encrypted Hard Drive

I am having problems trying to DECRYPT my BitLocker-Encrypted External 1TB Hard Drive. The decryption process got stuck at 9.3% for the last two days. I've tried pausing and resuming the decryption but still stuck at 9.3%. I've unplugged
    the hard drive, rebooted my system but hey, 9.3%. I wanted to totally do away with the BitLocker encryption. Any solutions would really help. Thank you.

System specs

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz ~2.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Hard Drive: Innostor External HDD, 1TB

Partition Style: MBR

Ocho Cinco, Jul 7, 2019
  4. Mark Ole Win User

BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

External drives being locked by Windows 10

Hi Chris,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to disable Bitlocker.

• Connect the removable hard drive.
    • Type in your password, and click on the Unlock button.
    • Open the Control Panel, and click on the BitLocker Drive Encryption icon.
    • Click on Turn Off BitLocker for the drive letter for the removable hard drive or USB flash drive that you want to decrypt.
    • Click on the Decrypt Drive button
    • BitLocker will now start decrypting the drive.
    • When finished, click on the Close button.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

1. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE - Similar Threads - BITLOCKER UNABLE DECRYPT

2. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Decryption: someone help me my PC has taken 24hrs to drive decryption, and still now is ongoing decrypting, PC is frozen, stuck at 62.7% up to now, what is problem so far? I'm so tired...
  3. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Drive Decryption: someone help me my PC has taken 24hrs to drive decryption, and still now is ongoing decrypting, PC is frozen, stuck at 62.7% up to now, what is problem so far? I'm so tired...
  4. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to open Hard drive after decryption

Unable to open Hard drive after decryption: Hi, I have encrypted my external hard drive in my old laptopwindows 7 and was not able the use the external hard drive in any other laptop. So i had decrypted it in my old laptop- windows7 and it was successful and was open to view the data of the external drive after the...
  6. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  7. external hard disk decryption

external hard disk decryption: Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted external hard drive on Windows 10 pro. The external drive was encrypted by using the same system and after encryption completed I removed the external drive then when I attached the drive, it says the device is locked and...
  8. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It: Hi there, I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it. I don't know but there has been some technical glitch due to which the bitlocker lock is appearing on my external hard drive. Neither I nor anybody else turned on...
  9. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to open files on external hard drive asking for bitlocker error code: 0x80070015

2. windows 10 bitlocker raid 0 intel unable to crypt

3. bitlocker for external drive encryption not completing

4. my external hard drive stuck at decryption,
  5. external hardrive not being prompted by bitlocker,
  6. bitlocker stuck decrypting