Windows 10: Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive

Discus and support Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've never used Bitlocker before and thought it was disabled. I woke up to a message telling me that I need to enter a recovery key because "Secure... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkSnyder8, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive

I've never used Bitlocker before and thought it was disabled. I woke up to a message telling me that I need to enter a recovery key because "Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed". I don't have a recovery key. Is there any way to get my laptop back without wiping my whole hard drive? I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 with Windows 10 installed. Thanks.

:)

MarkSnyder8, Aug 17, 2021

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 17, 2021
  3. John Ado Win User
    Unlocking Hard drive

Hi Marty,

To help you with this, follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    link
    . Refer to the three methods.

To answer your questions:

• We can try to enable BitLocker to encrypt your hard drive and then decrypt it later.
    • BitLocker is what we recommend. You may use third-party software at your discretion.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

John Ado, Aug 17, 2021
  4. Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive

External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Aug 17, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive

1. Bitlocker unexpectedly locked my hard drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker unexpectedly locked

2. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  3. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  4. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  5. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  6. BitLocker Locked Me Out Of My Seagate Hard Drive!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Locked Me Out Of My Seagate Hard Drive!!!: Hi All,I am a wedding photographer desperately looking for help. I use a Seagate 2TB hard drive to house my RAW files in one place before editing. Luckily I have them backed up and also on the SD cards but recently when I plugged in this particular hard-drive into my PC I got...
  7. BitLocker Locked Me Out Of My Seagate Hard Drive!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker Locked Me Out Of My Seagate Hard Drive!!!: Hi All,I am a wedding photographer desperately looking for help. I use a Seagate 2TB hard drive to house my RAW files in one place before editing. Luckily I have them backed up and also on the SD cards but recently when I plugged in this particular hard-drive into my PC I got...
  8. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...
  9. After resetting my computer that was locked by Bitlocker, the hard drive that was locked no...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After resetting my computer that was locked by Bitlocker, the hard drive that was locked no...: I finally decided to reset my computer which was locked by Bitlocker, without a key, and I did so by formatting the drives. However, after reinstalling Windows to my SSD, the main drive no longer shows up anywhere! I've checked in the BIOS, in disk management, and in the...
  10. Erased my hard drive unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Erased my hard drive unexpectedly: I have erased my hard disk unexpectedly while dual booting my windows with ubuntu , I need to get back to my windows 10 now please help me with this . And what happens to my activation , will I be able to get that back because my activation is done with digital licence that...