Windows 10: Bitlocker USB Drive

Discus and support Bitlocker USB Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently Bitlocked my USB flash drive for security purposes. But now when I attempt to open my USB, it simply says "Location not available"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ParthivKurup, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Bitlocker USB Drive

Hi,

I recently Bitlocked my USB flash drive for security purposes. But now when I attempt to open my USB, it simply says

"Location not available"

"D:\ is not accessible"

"Access is denied."

Please help.

:)

ParthivKurup, Oct 6, 2019
  2. Jan Del Win User

Bitlocker USB

Hi, Margaret.

BitLocker requires you to have a USB key in able to access the information. You can create a USB key by using a blank thumb drive or USB drive formatted to NTFS OR FAT32 and follow these steps:

• Click Start and go to Control Panel.
    • Look for System and Security then click it.
    • Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Under BitLocker Drive Encryption, click Turn on BitLocker.
    • Choose how you want to unlock your drive during startup: Insert a USB flash drive or
      Enter a Password and then click Next.
    • On the How Do You Want To Store Your Recovery Key Page, click Save the Recovery Key To A File.
    • In the Save BitLocker Recovery Key As dialog box, choose a save location, and then click
      Save.
    • You can now print the recovery key if you want to. When you have finished, click
      Next.
    • On the Are You Ready To Encrypt This Drive page, click Start Encrypting.

Note: Do not remove the USB flash drive until the encryption process is complete. How long the encryption process takes depends on the size of the drive and other factors.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Oct 6, 2019
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 6, 2019
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Bitlocker USB Drive

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker USB Drive

1. Bitlocker USB Drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker USB Drive

2. Can't remove BitLocked USB Drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove BitLocked USB Drive.: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  3. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  4. Bitlocker - "Turn on Bitlocker" vanished for USB Drives

Bitlocker - "Turn on Bitlocker" vanished for USB Drives: Hello, I run Win 10 Pro machines both at work (on a Domain) and Home (standalone machines - both situations have the same problem. All machines are 2004 with the latest patches. Until recently I could bitlocker Encrypt external USB Drives (memory sticks etc) by either the...
  5. Bitlocker - "Turn on Bitlocker" vanished for USB Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlocker - "Turn on Bitlocker" vanished for USB Drives: Hello, I run Win 10 Pro machines both at work (on a Domain) and Home (standalone machines - both situations have the same problem. All machines are 2004 with the latest patches. Until recently I could bitlocker Encrypt external USB Drives (memory sticks etc) by either the...
  6. Unable to turn on bitlocker for USB drives

Unable to turn on bitlocker for USB drives: I was able to turn on bitlocker for the internal ssd that I have. But I am unable to see any success with USB drives. When I got to Control Panel > System and Security > Bitlocker Drive Encryption, I am unable to see my USB drives. It just says "insert a USB drive to use...
  7. Bitlocker on USB flash drive

Bitlocker on USB flash drive: I have a 256GB USB Micro flash drive that I have plugged into my laptop Microsoft Laptop 3 running Windows 10 Professional. While I was working today it got locked by BitLocker somehow. I have used this drive for months and it's never been a problem nor did I ever used...
  8. Bitlocker on USB flash drives

Bitlocker on USB flash drives: I read through the below tutorial on how to encrypt USB removable data drives. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 However, I just wanted to know if it would be best practice to add the data BEFORE or AFTER encrypting a USB removable drive using...
  9. USB Flash Drive with Bitlocker

USB Flash Drive with Bitlocker: I tried to use bitlocker on a USB Flash drive and about half way through we had a power bump and my PC restarted. Now I can't access the drive. I tried to use bitlocker again but right clicking does not offer bitlocker any more. Is the drive toast or can I retrieve the data I...
  10. Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.: I have a seagate usb 3 external hard drive. it has been bitlocker encrypted. It has also been damaged in some way. When I boot my machine with legacy setup in the bios most usb drives show up (flash drive and another external usb 3 drive). The problem drive is not showing...