Windows 10: Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable?

Discus and support Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, The data on the laptop isn't *that* sensitive, it contains customer invoices/data and some login information for some customer accounts, which... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LoveWindows10, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable?

Hi,

The data on the laptop isn't *that* sensitive, it contains customer invoices/data and some login information for some customer accounts, which I've changed now anyway. I'd just prefer it wasn't viewed.

Basically, the laptop I had died (actually the screen backlight went so it was impossible to use without plugging into an external display) and it had to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. Obviously it could be ANYONE repairing it at the other end.

The SSD is encrypted with BitLocker (no startup PIN or USB key required in this instance unfortunately) and there is a Windows password of 10 or more characters. I actually can't remember the Windows password now myself, I changed it before it was collected to increase security, there's no problem if I can't remember it once it's returned as I backed up the data already. The Windows password is unique, mixed case with numbers special characters and at least 10 characters, and won't be in any online password list.

I was just after a bit of reassurance that the data would be secure from a repair engineer that fancied taking a peek at what was on my laptop. Pretty sure it would be a mammoth task to get at the data.

The laptop uses a TPM module 1.2 and is on a Windows 10 Pro x64 platform.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any replies.

:)

LoveWindows10, Nov 11, 2016
  2. djmulls Win User

Bitlocker + TPM + Startup Password

Hi All

I have a laptop with a TPM 1.2 module and running Windows 10 Pro. I have enabled Bitlocker on the drive, but at present it is just booting straight into Windows.

What I would like is to configure it so that the computer prompts me to enter a password on boot. Currently I am only able to find the option to enter a PIN or use a key. On my previous computer I had a 48 character complex password on boot and I would like
    to replicate this using Bitlocker.

Is it possible to use Bitlocker with the TPM module and have it prompt for a password on boot?

Thanks

djmulls, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Rhunyc Win User
    Unable to set password for BitLocker Win10

Hi all,

I have a question regarding BitLocker on Windows 10.

I'm trying to activate BitLocker on my C: drive, and it's not giving me an option to enable a password for encryption. I've gone through the group policy options and enabled everything pertaining to setting a password on the Operating System drives.

The things I've enabled are:

-Require additional authentication at startup

-Configure use of password for operating system drives

-Allow enhanced PINs for startup

I would set an enhanced PIN, but the thing is the password I'm required to use for this machine is longer than 20 characters, and enhanced PINs only allow up to 20 characters. If I were allowed to use a password that would make everything much easier, alas
    BitLocker isn't even giving the option for me to do so!

Hopefully anyone can point me in the direction of something maybe I'm missing...

Rhunyc, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable?

It is forum policy to not assist with issues with passwords as we have no way of confirming a user's ownership of, or responsibility for, the hardware involved.

This is in no way any form of allegation with the particular user in any thread but a general safety procedure.

It may be possible for a local IT professional to solve the particular issue, and check on any ownership matters - This is the recommended action for these issues

Thread Closed

Barman58, Nov 12, 2016
Thema:

Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable?

1. Bitlocker Used, 10 Character Mixed Case Windows Password - Crackable? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Used Character

2. mixed character display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mixed character display: When @ key is depressed, " is displayed when " key is pressed, @ is displayed. This happens with several keyboards tested.How do I rectify this?Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mixed-character-display/15a74d2c-77dc-4421-8d3d-be46b5b5079d
  3. mixed character display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mixed character display: When @ key is depressed, " is displayed when " key is pressed, @ is displayed. This happens with several keyboards tested.How do I rectify this?Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mixed-character-display/15a74d2c-77dc-4421-8d3d-be46b5b5079d
  4. mixed character display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. subfolders with a mix of characters and numbers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    subfolders with a mix of characters and numbers: I noticed there are some subfolders under different programs folders and sometimes on program data.I am wondering what is the purpose of those subfolders and if I can delete them please?...
  6. subfolders with a mix of characters and numbers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    subfolders with a mix of characters and numbers: I noticed there are some subfolders under different programs folders and sometimes on program data.I am wondering what is the purpose of those subfolders and if I can delete them please?...
  7. subfolders with a mix of characters and numbers

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. bit locker password character use

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bit locker password character use: hello, can we use space character in bit locker password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bit-locker-password-character-use/d9430f3f-f0e2-40ab-908c-b7356d4d1e3c"
  9. Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field: Hello, I have been using BitLocker for a long time now and in conjunction with Windows 10 for 3 months and today something weird happened. When I tried to insert my password at boot, when I pressed the Shift key in combination with any other key, it inserted tens of...
  10. Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking

Bitlocker password 256 characters breaks unlocking: Hello I've run into a little problem with bitlocker password length. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 256 characters for the recovery password so I generated such a password via keepass. The bitlocker UI obviously had no problem with this. After restarting the system...
Tags: