Windows 10: BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted

Discus and support BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been using my laptop for a while, but no sensitive data stored on it yet and I just enabled Bitlocker with the Used Space option to save time.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Oct 6, 2016.

1. BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted

I have been using my laptop for a while, but no sensitive data stored on it yet and I just enabled Bitlocker with the Used Space option to save time. The files that were deleted are NOT sensitive.

A few questions here.

1. When I decide to reinstall Windows 10 again on the same laptop, and enable Bitlocker, do I need to encrypt the entire disk or leave as Used Space? The way I reinstall Windows, is to delete ALL partitions and only leave the Unallocated free space. That's all. I usually delete ALL partitions.

2. Assuming I did NOT have any sensitive data previously deleted that may be recoverable on the free space, will it be OK to select Used Space only when I reinstall Windows the next time? It is really time consuming - takes about 9 hours to encrypt a 300GB drive...

3. If the Used Space is encrypted, and I decide to store data on there, will the files be automatically encrypted when added to that Used Space?

4. If I delete a sensitive file or document from that encrypted Used Space area, will those documents be moved to the free space area were they can be recovered?

Thanks!

:)

win10freak, Oct 6, 2016

2. Bitlocker - How secure is encrypting used space only?

Hi

In a nutshell, I bought windows 10 pro and wanted to use Bitlocker. I tried several times to encrypt the whole disk but it always got stuck at 54.2%. I ran chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow and no errors were found. I decrypted sucessfully and tried encrypting
    again but it still got stuck in the same place.

I managed to run bitlocker successfully by encrypting only used space. My question is should I run cipher.exe /w to wipe all unused space as this is an old laptop?

Also, how does Bitlocker work when only encrypting used space - i.e. if I write a file to the disk I assume it automatically encrypts it, but if I then delete that file is the space no longer encrypted and therefore open to hackers?

Look forward to your comments.

AngieHendle, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Bit Locker

1. To set up BitLocker Drive Encryption, open the SEARCH (Windows Key + S, for example), type BitLocker, then click Manage BitLocker.

2. Select the drive that you want to encrypt, and click Turn on BitLocker.

3. Select how you want to unlock the drive.

4. Choose where you want to save the recovery key in case you forget your password.

5. Choose whether you want to encrypt the entire drive, or only the used space. If you encrypt only the used space, it will encrypt new data as added.

Start like this:

BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted [​IMG]

Shenan Stanley, Oct 6, 2016
Thema:

BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted

1. BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted - Similar Threads - BitLocker Used Disk

2. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  3. Encrypted using bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  4. BitLocker: convert drive from "Used Space Only" to "Fully Encrypted"

BitLocker: convert drive from "Used Space Only" to "Fully Encrypted": Hi Is it possible to convert a drive that is encrypted under "Used Space Only Encrypted" to be "Fully Encrypted" instead? I could do a full decrypt and re-encrypt, but that would take a very long time for this large drive. I was sure that I selected "Fully Encrypted" from...
  5. Bitlocker Off, but showing used space encryption On?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker Off, but showing used space encryption On?: [ATTACH] Having an issue with some new machines at work, where Bitlocker is off in Control Panel, but manage-bde shows used space encryption is on. They are new Dell Latitude machines and do have TPM modules which are on by default, and the encryption is on after initial,...
  6. Bitlocker "used disk space only" Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker "used disk space only" Doesn't Work: I am trying to Encrypt a Flash Drive with Bitlocker but I only want to Encrypt the few files that are on the drive currently. From what I have read Checking the Box for encrypt"used disk space only" should do this but when I try to access the drive it says that there is zero...
  7. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?: Hello everyone, Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10? When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it. 1. Boot...
  8. BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?

BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?: I usually been reinstalling Win10 to get rid of the so called "clutter" on my system to make it more fresh and such. Regarding BitLocker, I always select to encrypt the entire drive as opposed to encrypting used spaced only. The entire drive option takes literally 9 hours...
  9. BitLocker - how to change "Used Space Only Encrypted" to Full

BitLocker - how to change "Used Space Only Encrypted" to Full: Hello I'm looking for a way to change BitLocker encryption scope from 'Used Space Only' to "Full Disk' without doing ful decryption. Is it at all possible? I could not find any useful information on TechNet. 83055
  10. BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?

BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?: I tried several times to encrypt the entire disk after reinstalling Windows 10 but it always took for ever (usually 10 hours) to fully encrypt my internal 320GB drive. I managed to run bitlocker successfully by encrypting only used space. My question is should I run...
Tags: