Windows 10: Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

Discus and support Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; On a brand new ASUS ROG Strix 15 laptop, using any USB port, my external Bitlocker volumes are automatically re-locking themselves, sometimes 24 hours... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by mBrane, Sep 29, 2022.

1. mBrane Win User

Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

On a brand new ASUS ROG Strix 15 laptop, using any USB port, my external Bitlocker volumes are automatically re-locking themselves, sometimes 24 hours after being unlocked. Some volumes are on external NVMe devices and some are just USB thumbdrives. Anyone else seeing this?P.S. I've applied the 2022 2H update and have no outstanding updates to run. Answers including "re-install driver" probably not valuable.

:)

mBrane, Sep 29, 2022
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Sep 29, 2022
  3. MEH
    meh Win User
    Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes? Perhaps a utility that does this?

I've been playing with a scheduled task, but so far, it locks the volumes when I don't want them to, and is oblivious to when the volumes are being used.

Edit: I guess I will just use Shutter, which I have been using for a long time, but never for this. I'm guessing I will need to run Shutter with elevation for this (i.e. manage-bde.exe -lock -fd) to work. I was hoping to use a more dedicated utility, without having to learn how to do it in AutoHotkey or something.

Shutter « Products « den4b.com

4. Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

Undesired Behavior: BitLocker Automatically Unlocking System Volume

Win10 Pro, 1909

Upon restart, or cold boot from power-off condition, Bitlocker is unlocking the system volume automatically. This behavior just started tonight. From my understanding, this is not possible, LOL. I've never seen this behavior. See below for a dump of BitLocker status for the system volume C:

The machine BIOS does not have SecureBoot nor TPM. I am using only password security with BitLocker.

Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password. [​IMG]

PushOrSteer, Sep 29, 2022
Thema:

Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

1. Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password. - Similar Threads - Bitlocker volumes are

2. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  3. Locked laptop, no password, Bitlocker locks the drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked laptop, no password, Bitlocker locks the drive: A colleague expired recently and left his laptop issued by the office locked and Bitlocker locks the drive. We don't know what password he used and the Bitlocker recovery key. How can we reformat the laptop if there's no other way to access it?...
  4. Locked laptop, no password, Bitlocker locks the drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked laptop, no password, Bitlocker locks the drive: A colleague expired recently and left his laptop issued by the office locked and Bitlocker locks the drive. We don't know what password he used and the Bitlocker recovery key. How can we reformat the laptop if there's no other way to access it?...
  5. BitLocker issue after automatic Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker issue after automatic Windows 11 update: Rebooted laptop with install new updates on. Laptop rebooted with that screen. I selected F2 and received message Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to security settings. Clicked on Set up my PIN but cannot get any further because I recently changed my email and...
  6. BitLocker issue after automatic Windows 11 update

BitLocker issue after automatic Windows 11 update: Rebooted laptop with install new updates on. Laptop rebooted with that screen. I selected F2 and received message Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to security settings. Clicked on Set up my PIN but cannot get any further because I recently changed my email and...
  7. Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.: On a brand new ASUS ROG Strix 15 laptop, using any USB port, my external Bitlocker volumes are automatically re-locking themselves, sometimes 24 hours after being unlocked. Some volumes are on external NVMe devices and some are just USB thumbdrives. Anyone else seeing...
  8. Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically: Hi,I have recently reset my PC to have a clean installation of Windows in C drive. PC reset was successful but my D & E drives are automatically locked by Bitlocker. I have contacted Microsoft for resolution. It seems that the drives are locked automatically by Bitlocker due...
  9. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It: Hi there, I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it. I don't know but there has been some technical glitch due to which the bitlocker lock is appearing on my external hard drive. Neither I nor anybody else turned on...
  10. Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Automatically locking BitLocker volumes: Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes? Perhaps a utility that does this? I've been playing with a scheduled task, but so far, it locks the volumes when I don't...