Windows 10: BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds

Discus and support BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Whenever I use BitLocker with a TPM+PIN, at the BitLocker PIN entry prompt, my Dell E6440 shuts down after 60 seconds. Is this just an added security... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Feb 7, 2018.

1. BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds

Whenever I use BitLocker with a TPM+PIN, at the BitLocker PIN entry prompt, my Dell E6440 shuts down after 60 seconds. Is this just an added security measure or what?

Do you guys ever run across this same issue?

Thx!

:)

win10freak, Feb 7, 2018

2. Why is Bitlocker Bootup PIN Limited to Numerals by Default?

True, if you go with the minimum suggested PIN of 7 numbers, there are only 10,000,000 possible combinations...

It is possible that a personal identification number (PIN) can be discovered by an attacker performing a brute force attack. A brute force attack occurs when an attacker uses an automated tool to try different PIN combinations until
    the correct one is discovered. For BitLocker-protected computers, this type of attack, also known as a dictionary attack, requires that the attacker have physical access to the computer.

The TPM has the built-in ability to detect and react to these types of attacks. Because different manufacturers' TPMs may support different PIN and attack mitigations, contact your TPM's manufacturer to determine how your computer's
    TPM mitigates PIN brute force attacks.

After you have determined your TPM's manufacturer ,contact the manufacturer to gather the TPM's vendor-specific information. Most manufacturers use the PIN authentication failure count to exponentially increase lockout time to the PIN
    interface. However, each manufacturer has different policies regarding when and how the failure counter is decreased or reset.

As for the second part, if they can get past the bitlocker protection, the password protection is no obstacle at all.

Shenan Stanley, Feb 7, 2018
  3. Mr_Cohen Win User
    BitLocker On TPM ver 2.0

Hey all.

I hope that i'm asking this at the right area of this Forum.

I have a DELL Latitude 5480 with Win10 pro on it.

After enabling BitLocker, BitLocker asking for a recovery key on every reboot.

I've found that BitLocker cannot work properly with TPM ver 2.0, (Dell Latitude 5480 comes with TPM version 2.0).

After downgrading TPM, from ver 2.0 to ver 1.2, BitLocker works smoothly.

Any solution for BitLocker on TPM ver2.0?

Thank in advance.

Mr_Cohen, Feb 7, 2018
  4. BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds

My Lenovo does this as well. I'm guessing it's a power-saving feature.

PolarNettles, Feb 8, 2018
  5. Is there anything one can do about this?

win10freak, Feb 8, 2018
  6. PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds

1. BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds - Similar Threads - BitLocker TPM PIN

2. Laptop shuts down few seconds after powering it on Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down few seconds after powering it on Windows reinstall: I recently did a full Windows 10 Cloud reinstall on my laptop. Everything went fine until it suddenly got stuck at 36% "Resetting this PC" on the ACER screen. I then decided to turn off the laptop by holding the power button. Now when I turn on the laptop, after a few seconds...
  3. Laptop shuts down few seconds after powering it on Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down few seconds after powering it on Windows reinstall: I recently did a full Windows 10 Cloud reinstall on my laptop. Everything went fine until it suddenly got stuck at 36% "Resetting this PC" on the ACER screen. I then decided to turn off the laptop by holding the power button. Now when I turn on the laptop, after a few seconds...
  4. Laptop shuts down few seconds after powering it on Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop shutting down a couple seconds after I log in.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shutting down a couple seconds after I log in.: So my laptop usually works just fine but one day it just doesn't. When I turn my laptop on it is perfectly fine on the login screen so i don't believe its and over heating problem or something like that. Its only when i enter my passcode and am on my home screen my curser...
  6. Laptop shutting down a couple seconds after I log in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shutting down a couple seconds after I log in.: So my laptop usually works just fine but one day it just doesn't. When I turn my laptop on it is perfectly fine on the login screen so i don't believe its and over heating problem or something like that. Its only when i enter my passcode and am on my home screen my curser...
  7. Laptop shutting down a couple seconds after I log in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Bitlocker TPM and PIN Intune

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker TPM and PIN Intune: Hi All, I've tried setting up TPM and PIN in SCCM via MBAM and it all works fine and is really good! However for Tamper protection for Defender Antivirus you need to use Intune. This means you can switch the workload, all well and good however it seems in intune there is...
  9. PC shuts down seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down seconds after logging in: It just started happening about 35 minutes prior to posting this. I was burning a dvd and the pc attempted to shut down, but I kept mashing the escape key until the dvd finished burning. I then let it shut down. But upon reboot and login, cmd starts and then pc shuts down...
  10. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after bilocker pin laptop is shuting down