Windows 10: Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes

Discus and support Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm having a problem that the Bitlocker password screen which appears when I switch on has been replaced by a pattern of vertical orange/ brown... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DavidY, Jul 15, 2016.

1. DavidY Win User

Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes

I'm having a problem that the Bitlocker password screen which appears when I switch on has been replaced by a pattern of vertical orange/ brown stripes.

Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes [​IMG]

The main laptop I use day-to-day has been running Windows 8/8.1 Pro since not long after Win8 was released- I bought one of the original Win 8 Pro licences when they were on offer at £25.

I've been using Bitlocker encryption on the main partitions C: and D:. It's an old laptop (originally came with XP) and has no TPM, so I used this tutorial to enable Bitlocker without TPM. This means I type a Bitlocker password in when the computer boots, before logging in as a user and typing in another password there.

It was running happily with Win 8.1, but conscious that the Win10 upgrade offer ends soon, last weekend I finally cleared enough disk space and upgraded to Windows 10.

I did the GWX upgrade as I have a lot of apps and software that would be a pain to reconfigure on a clean install, and not enough time to do that. I figured that as long as I've upgraded before the deadline, I can clean install later.

And it all went smoothly and worked happily for a few days ... right until a few days later when I switched on and the Bitlocker login screen was replaced by the pattern of vertical orange/ brown stripes. It seems I *can* type in the password 'blind' and once I've done that it boots as I'd expect. Not sure what triggered the change; I think it may have been because there were some updates that day, and the other thing I did was try the Task View on that machine for the first time.

It's an old Acer laptop, with the display adaptor described as 'Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (WDDM 1.0)'

I've so far tried:
    • SFC /scannow (which didn't find anything)
    • System Restore
    • The trick of doing an in-place upgrade to attempt repair
    • Checking for an updated graphics driver
    • Reflashing the BIOS *Eek
    but nothing has worked so far. *Sad

Now I'm decrypting the drives because I don't want to risk being locked out, but I'm not sure what will happen when I re-encrypt.

Anyone got any ideas on how I clear it?

:)

DavidY, Jul 15, 2016
  2. Qemm386 Win User

Help! I'm getting an orange screen with white stripes!

Hello, from Germany.

I'm having the same problem, too! This morning, everything was okay. This afternoon... I see orange stripes after booting my machine.

I've learned that it has something to do with BitLocker. My machine (Dell Latitude) has BitLocker installed. I can type my BitLocker-password when I see the orange stripes and Windows 10 Pro will boot as it should.

But I think this issue has to be solved.

I guess it has to do with yesterday's Microsoft patch.

Qemm386, Jul 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Orange screen on bootup

Type your bitlocker password and hit enter when you see the orange screen with vertical white stripes. Even though you don't see a place to type the password it will work.

Uninstalling KB3172985, rebooting, reinstalling KB3172985 and rebooting will fix the problem (tested on 2 of our laptops) . You have to reinstall KB3172985 to make the bitlocker boot screen readable again.

Cheers

BeheerLagerwey, Jul 15, 2016
  4. jrstech Win User

Had the same issue. Try typing your key or password on that striped screen.

jrstech, Jul 16, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    Yes I could login by typing in the password, but obviously it's not great and if the screen ever said something different behind the stripes, I'd have a problem.

I de-crypted in the end as I wasn't sure what to do next.

Someone also suggested it might be the graphics/display driver, so I deleted that (interesting problem of how to get it to shutdown blind as well).

Then I rebooted into the Basic adaptor and used Windows Update to get a new version of the driver.

Then I switched on Bitlocker encryption again, and it seems to be working so far.

I might have been able just to replace the graphics driver without de-crypting it though.

DavidY, Jul 16, 2016
  6. jrstech Win User
    Ok, here's what I did. Removed Windows update KB3172985 then restarted and the issue persisted. Then reinstalled the update (Windows update will find the update again), restarted and now have the Bitlocker login screen.

jrstech, Jul 16, 2016
  7. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for posting how you solved it. *Smile

I reckon KB3172985 would have been installed at the same time as my problem appeared too, which makes it look like the culprit. Interesting to know I'm not alone in having that problem from that update.

DavidY, Jul 17, 2016
  8. BZee Win User

Tried this a few minutes ago - did not help (I have rebooted at least 3 times).

9. BZee Win User
    Redid the uninstall/reinstall of KB3172985 but suspended Bitlocker for the reinstall - now have the normal password screen.

BZee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes - Similar Threads - Bitlocker without TPM

2. Can't login with fingerprint - TPM Replaced

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't login with fingerprint - TPM Replaced: I recently had a spate of hardware trouble with my Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop running Windows 11, in which the motherboard somehow got fried. I had it sent to Dell for repairs, and the logic board motherboard, keyboard, and keyboard plate were replaced.However, upon receiving...
  3. Can't login with fingerprint - TPM Replaced

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login with fingerprint - TPM Replaced: I recently had a spate of hardware trouble with my Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop running Windows 11, in which the motherboard somehow got fried. I had it sent to Dell for repairs, and the logic board motherboard, keyboard, and keyboard plate were replaced.However, upon receiving...
  4. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  5. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  6. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Enable Bitlocker Without TPM

Enable Bitlocker Without TPM: Hello everyone, i need to enable BitLocker on all the computers all parittions inside the company using a script or command line without enabling TPM option and backup the recovery key to AD DS. is there a way to achieve that, i have searched a lot to do this with no...
  8. Orange screen with white stripes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Orange screen with white stripes: Hi! I've recently installed Windows 10 x32 on my laptop using a DVD. I want to upgrade to x64 (and yes, this laptop is compatible with x64. In fact, it used to be x64) but everytime I boot into the x64 DVD, it just displays an empty blinking underline for a couple of minutes...
  9. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM): I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but...
  10. Bitlocker without TPM help

Bitlocker without TPM help: Hi all, I've been having a bit of trouble trying to get Bitlocker working on my Dad's laptop. He recently bought a new laptop with Win 7 pro and I upgraded it to Win 10. It all went smoothly except now when I'm trying to get Bitlocker to encrypt his drive. It has an ssd...
Tags: