Windows 10: Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B

Discus and support Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Tech-Angels, I have two computers (A and B) running Windows 10. I create a new txt-file with the text "I am computer A" on an external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SilvioGesell, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B

Hello Tech-Angels,

I have two computers (A and B) running Windows 10.

I create a new txt-file with the text "I am computer A" on an external hard drive connecting (USB 2.0) with computer A.

I shutdown computer A.

I take the external hard drive to computer B and connecting (USB 2.0) it.

I opened the txt-file and write "I am computer B" in a new line. And I saved the file.

Several hours later I shutdown computer B.

I take the external hard drive to computer A and connecting it.

The txt-file is disappeared (show hidden files is enabled).

I scann and repair the external hard drive.

The txt-file is now there. I open it and only the first line (I am computer A) is there.

Chkdsk said that there where bitmap errors in mft (see below).

I have changed the external hard drive (ssd) to another external hard drive (hdd). But the problem is still there.

I have changed the direction (A-B,B-A) and the problem is the same.

I always shutdown the computers before takting the external hard drive. And the lights of the external hard drive are off.

Well ... it seemed to be a problem with changed master-file-table. Hope anyone here can help me.

Thank you

Michael

>>>

Chkdsk wurde im Lesen-/Schreibenmodus ausgeführt.

Dateisystem auf E: wird überprüft.
    Die Volumebezeichnung lautet Seagate Expansion Drive.

Phase 1: Die Basisdatei-Systemstruktur wird untersucht...

2816 Datensätze verarbeitet. Dateiüberprüfung beendet.

0 große Datensätze verarbeitet.
    0 ungültige Datensätze verarbeitet.
    Phase 2: Die Dateinamenverknüpfung wird untersucht...

30 Analysedatensätze verarbeitet.
    3306 Indexeinträge verarbeitet. Indexüberprüfung beendet.
    CHKDSK überprüft nicht indizierte Dateien, um die Verbindung mit dem ursprünglichen Verzeichnis wiederherzustellen.
    2 nicht indizierte Dateien im ursprünglichen Verz. wiederhergestellt.

30 Analysedatensätze verarbeitet.
    Phase 3: Sicherheitsbeschreibungen werden untersucht...
    Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 117 wird aus dem Index $SDH der Datei 9 gelöscht.
    7 unbenutzte Indexeinträge werden aus dem Index $SII der Datei 9 gelöscht.
    7 unbenutzte Indexeinträge werden aus dem Index $SDH der Datei 9 gelöscht.
    7 nicht verwendete Sicherheitsbeschreibungen werden aufgeräumt.
    Überprüfung der Sicherheitsbeschreibungen beendet.

245 Datendateien verarbeitet. Fehler im Attribut BITMAP der Masterdateitabelle (MFT) werden berichtigt.

Es wurden Korrekturen am Dateisystem vorgenommen.
    Es sind keine weiteren Aktionen erforderlich.

1953512032 KB Speicherplatz auf dem Datenträger insgesamt
    2288736 KB in 2457 Dateien
    1108 KB in 247 Indizes
    128384 KB vom System benutzt
    65536 KB von der Protokolldatei belegt
    1951093804 KB auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

4096 Bytes in jeder Zuordnungseinheit
    488378008 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger insgesamt
    487773451 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

***Modified Title from: External hard drives have always bitmap error in mft after switch hard drive from computer A to B***

:)

SilvioGesell, Feb 2, 2019

2. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

CHKDSK C: reports the following:

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

After running CHKDSK C: /scan I ran CHKDSK C: again and got the same result as above.

It seems CHKDSK cannot resolve the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute error.

How do I fix the MFT bitmap error?

James Mannion, Feb 2, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B

1. Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B - Similar Threads - Bitmap error MFT

2. External hard drive error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive error: I was transferring files to my external HDD LaCie Rugged Mini USB3, and my computer turned off because of an error during the transfer. After I turned it back on, the drive was identified as a Local Drive H:, and I can no longer access the files on it. Now, when the disk is...
  3. External hard drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive error: I was transferring files to my external HDD LaCie Rugged Mini USB3, and my computer turned off because of an error during the transfer. After I turned it back on, the drive was identified as a Local Drive H:, and I can no longer access the files on it. Now, when the disk is...
  4. External hard drive not picked up automatically when computer switched on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive not picked up automatically when computer switched on: I have an external hard drive connected to my PC where I store files. Everything was fine until a Windows update yesterday evening 9 Oct 2020. Now, when I switch on the PC it doesn't detect the external hard drive. If I unplug the hard drive and plug it back in everything...
  5. The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...: I need help, every time I open my laptop up, it keeps on scanning and fixing for drive C: but it doesn't really fix it. I tried running chkdsk on cmd manually and it shows this Texts: The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect....
  6. transferring photos from computer to external hard drive

transferring photos from computer to external hard drive: When I transfer photos from my computer to an external hard drive, is there a quick way? I have hundreds of photos and dread copying them even in lots of 10....
  7. Back Up from computer to external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back Up from computer to external hard drive: I am using Windows10 64byt and want to back up "This Pc" to my external hard drive, a WM Elements. How should I do this please? I have tried various methods discribed on your site all to no avail....
  8. External hard drives have always bitmap error in mft after switch hard drive from computer...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drives have always bitmap error in mft after switch hard drive from computer...: Hello Tech-Angels, I have two computers (A and B) running Windows 10. I create a new txt-file with the text "I am computer A" on an external hard drive connecting (USB 2.0) with computer A. I shutdown computer A. I take the external hard drive to computer B and...
  9. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.: CHKDSK C: reports the following: The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair. After running...
  10. External Hard Drive Error

External Hard Drive Error: My external hard drive is showing an error. G:\ is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. Does anyone know how to fix it without formatting it? Have a lot of file on there that I'd like to recover if possible. Any advice would be greatly...