Windows 10: BITS Service data usage

Discus and support BITS Service data usage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A service, Background Intelligence Transfer Service BITS, keeps using a lot of data in the background even when my connection is set as metered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChiragSharma4, Nov 28, 2020.

1. BITS Service data usage

A service, Background Intelligence Transfer Service BITS, keeps using a lot of data in the background even when my connection is set as metered connection and background data restricted. It only stops doing so when I disable the service. Please help.

:)

ChiragSharma4, Nov 28, 2020

2. Unknown data usage

The Nokia Lumia Windows Phone has a very good considerable battery life. I wouldn't worry with having the Battery Saver featured enabled much because honestly you won't need it unless in case of emergencies. The data usage is very much so defined by your
    wireless carrier more than Windows Phone. You may need to contact them directly to ask why your data usage is increasing if you are not changing from your regular routines and the usage was not the same in usage.

This can also be defined by observing the things you do with Windows Phone. Your service area also defines when and where your data is used by the phone automatically because in a sense it tells the phone the only way it can function at certain times is
    via the data connection (hence increasing the data usage on your wireless plan). You can always disable the data features on Windows Phone. This is mainly what I suggest you do until you contact the carrier directly and alert them of what is going on. You
    should also consider using an unlimited data plan, or a data plan that only allows for WiFi usage. The very last step is how to completely disable the data features, but you can also try these steps as well to improve your data usage overall, follow
    these steps and then call your carrier to inquire about the data options you have:

If you don't have an unlimited data plan, you may be looking for ways to shave a little bit off of your data usage. This topic provides a few ways to turn down or turn off some of the features that require a data connection on your phone.
    Turn on Battery Saver
    Battery Saver turns off some, but not all, of the features that require a data connection. You can turn it on whenever you want, or set it to turn on automatically when your battery is low. To learn more, see Battery:
    making it last

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap Settings
      BITS Service data usage start-icon-settings.png
      > Battery
      saver.

• Do one or both of the following:
      • If you want Battery Saver to turn on whenever the battery gets to 20%, select Always turn on Battery Saver when battery is low.
      • If you want to turn on Battery Saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your phone, select Turn on Battery Saver now until next charge.

Change email sync settings
    You can choose how often your phone automatically syncs email, or you can sync it manually, just when you want to.

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap the email account whose settings you want to change.

• Tap More
      BITS Service data usage basic-icon-ellipses.png
      > Settings, and then tap Sync
      settings.

• Tap the Download new content list, then tap a time. If you don't want your phone to ever sync email from this account automatically, tap Manually.

Turn on airplane mode
    If you're looking to turn off your cellular connection just for a while, an easy way is to turn on airplane mode.

> Airplane
      mode.

• Turn Status to On.

Stop sending usage feedback with a data connection
    Your phone can send feedback to help improve Windows Phones, but you can choose not to send this feedback using a cellular data connection.

> Feedback.

• Clear the Use my cellular data connection to send feedback check box.

Turn off your cellular data connection
    The most thorough way to make sure you're not using data is to turn off your data connection altogether.

> Cellular.

• Turn Data connection to Off.

Jody.Brown, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Pait Win User
    Gaming Lag and Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)

The "troubleshooting steps" that you have linked to does not address my concern.

My problem is that the BIT-service can
    start at any moment and directly impact performance while I am engaged in
    performance-sensitive usage.

I understand that I can manually disable this service every time I reboot my computer, but I believe my Operating System should
    work for me and not vice-versa.

Here are the types of solutions I am looking for:

• Automatically suspend the BIT-service when Game Mode is activated.
    • Allow BIT-service to have a network usage limit (like 50 Kbps)
    • Allow BIT-service to be scheduled (between 2am - 8am)
    • Disable BIT-service unless the user has requested a Windows Update

Is there a "set it and forget it" solution to preventing the BIT-service from affecting my performance that will persist through reboots?

4. Arun B J Win User

BITS Service data usage

Data card usage in windows 10

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps to check which application is using Data.

• Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the
      Network & Internet icon.

• Click/tap on Data usage on the left side. You will now see a general overview of the network data usage from the last 30 days on your PC.

• Click/tap on the Usage details link on the right side under
      Overview.

• You will now see how much network data has been used by each app from the last 30 days.

After that go to task manager and End Task the Application which uses the internet.

• Press ctrl +shift +Esc to open Task manger.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

BITS Service data usage

1. BITS Service data usage - Similar Threads - BITS Service data

2. High data usage of 'host process for windows services'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High data usage of 'host process for windows services': Recently i bought a new acer aspire laptop. For the first week it was ok but after that the data usage was abnormal i am on limited mobile data. I thought it would stop after some days but its not. My whole 2gb data is getting over in a minute. The windows data usage shows...
  3. High data usage of 'host process for windows services'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High data usage of 'host process for windows services': Recently i bought a new acer aspire laptop. For the first week it was ok but after that the data usage was abnormal i am on limited mobile data. I thought it would stop after some days but its not. My whole 2gb data is getting over in a minute. The windows data usage shows...
  4. Data Usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Usage: Hi. Just want a info for this System's Data Usage. Is this really normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-usage/312cb68c-c89d-4270-82f3-5e4d0cdc668c
  5. Background Intelligent Transfer service BITS data comsumption

Background Intelligent Transfer service BITS data comsumption: I've been noticing that BITS is consuming a lot of data. I'm on a metered connection and I only have limited data. I want to know what is the size of the file that the application is trying to download....
  6. Data usage

Data usage: I recently discovered that "System" is using a lot of data on my computer. I looked at a question somebody else asked that was the same as my question. Somebody suggested restricting the "regsvr32.exe" application from using data to fix the problem. My question it, what bad...
  7. Data Usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Data Usage: Where I live there is a data cap and I was charged over 100$ for overage... Microsoft Corp is 79%of the data usage.... Being on metered obviously is just for show and no you cant disable those updates which are huge and using your data to do it nevermind using your data to...
  8. DATA USAGE

DATA USAGE: I am checking my Wi-Fi Data Usage, and it currently shows 916 MB Usage from the Last Day. And when I click on "View Usage per App", the Data Usage amount totals nowhere near 916 MB. (i.e. Chrome shows 178 MB Data usage and Microsoft Edge shows 28 MB Data Usage). Why the...
  9. Data usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Data usage: How avoid data use to system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-usage/3967634c-05fb-4546-af94-d29c8bcfdb88
  10. Data Usage

Data Usage: Was hoping of some help. When I go into my network settings and click data usage, it tells me 232 GB of ethernet, but when I open up the usage details, the app usage only totals 40 GB when added up. Can anyone explain why there would be such a huge discrepancy? Just for...