Windows 10: Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Discus and support Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Bitsadmin window pops up in every hour/50 minutes and immediately disappear which is very annoying. I've run KasperskyTotal Security and Malwarebytes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tkrisz0403, May 21, 2016.

1. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Bitsadmin window pops up in every hour/50 minutes and immediately disappear which is very annoying. I've run KasperskyTotal Security and Malwarebytes but they have not found the problem. I made a screenshot from the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears. [​IMG]

:)

tkrisz0403, May 21, 2016

2. maybe virus issues,also microsoft edge dissappeared,and unable to reset my pc.Help.

oh my god stressing here.i am hoping some kind being can guide me through as of the last few days I was having issues with two lap tops one I think has a virus as a pop up keeps showing BITSADMIN version 3.0 bitsadmin is depreciated etc and shows up every
    hour,now am having issues with other lap top Microsoft edge has disappeared and i am unable to reset it or restore etc can anyone please help with all my problems???

sornebathory-bvwyt, May 21, 2016
  3. Gavin55 Win User
    Settings

I cannot run "Settings". The box pops up then disappears immediately. Can't even adjust my wallpaper... Any help?

Gavin55, May 21, 2016
  4. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks in advance

tkrisz0403, May 30, 2016
  5. Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks in advance

tkrisz0403, May 30, 2016
  6. MoxieMomma, May 30, 2016
  7. Thanks, your help MoxieMomma. I've asked for help under that thread, but I was advised to open a new thread.

tkrisz0403, May 30, 2016
  8. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Oh, I see.
    OOPS.
    My bad.
    Sorry -- I didn't read the entire thread or notice that you had posted there.
    I merely mentioned it because the topic was the same.
    Yes, it is best to start one's own topic for such matters.

I hope someone will be able to assist you.

Good luck,*Smile
    MM

MoxieMomma, May 30, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hopefully @Superfly will pop in here to help. This is a bit greek to me. *Smile

simrick, May 30, 2016
  10. It would be fantastic *Smile

tkrisz0403, May 30, 2016
  11. Hydranix Win User
    Your system might be compromised.

For those that don't know, bitsadmin.exe is a part of the Windows operating system. It's used for downloading or uploading things from remote servers.

It's pretty much useless for and will never once be used directly by most users. It has in the past been a very popular target for a type of malware known as a "dropper". This malware is usually a very small executable which is designed first the evade anti-virus, and second to download the "payload" of malware which does the real damage.

Since bitsadmin.exe is a legitimate system executable, it can slip past the firewall, and not raise any alarms since the unsigned malware executable isn't actually downloading anything, bitsadmin.exe is.

This method is far less common today than it was 5 years ago, which makes me think that you might have a dropper on your machine but it's remote servers do not exists anymore and as such, it cannot download payload. (this is just a guess based on only the very limited information available in this thread.)

So for us to be sure, I'm writing a program which I will post here when I'm done. This program will actively monitor your system's processes until be finds bitsadmin.exe being executed, at which point it will freeze that process, determine the parent process, and if it is not a critical process, suspend that one too. Then it will gather up a bunch of info and dump it into a .txt file for you to post back here. Then at least we'll have a little more info and hopefully determine if you're compromised or not.

Just give me minute to finish writing it.

Hydranix, May 30, 2016
  12. Thanks for your reply Hydranix. Hopefully, you're right, and this malware didn't download the payload. Since my first thread, bitsadmin.exe popped up at least 50 times, and I didn't notice any other issue but I'm concerned that neither of my anti-virus programs did not find a relatively well-known malware.

I'm looking forward to downloading your program and find out whether my system is compromised or not.

tkrisz0403, May 30, 2016
  13. Hydranix Win User

Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Sorry, I didn't have time to write it until just now. I made it simpler than originally planned. This program will just wait for bitsadmin and then print its parent process name to a file so we can see what starts it.

Also, this may not be malware, I'm just always suspicious when it comes to things potentially accessing the internet without consent.

Here's the program virus scan:Scan

Here's the program: bitsadmin buster.zip

To use it, unzip the exe somewhere. Where ever the exe is, is where the text file with parents name will be created.
    Run the program and it will ask for admin access, which it requires. If you get a smartscreen pop up, hit more info link and then allow it to run.

Here's the source code, its fairly basic.

Code: #include <Windows.h> #include <TlHelp32.h> #include <fstream> #include <string> #include <thread> typedef LONG(NTAPI *NtSuspendProcess)(IN HANDLE procHandle); void SuspendProcess(DWORD pid); bool GetProcInfo(const std::wstring name, PROCESSENTRY32 &pe32); bool GetProcInfo(DWORD pid, PROCESSENTRY32 &pe32); int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, char*, int) { std::wstring name(L"bitsadmin.exe"); PROCESSENTRY32 pe32; while (!GetProcInfo(name, pe32)) { std::this_thread::sleep_for(std::chrono::milliseconds(25)); } SuspendProcess(pe32.th32ProcessID); PROCESSENTRY32 p_pe32; if (GetProcInfo(pe32.th32ParentProcessID, p_pe32)) { std::wofstream file(L"bitsadmin_info.txt"); if (file.is_open()) { file << L"Parent Process Name: " << p_pe32.szExeFile; file.flush(); file.close(); } } else { return GetLastError(); } return 0; } void SuspendProcess(DWORD pid) { HANDLE hProc = OpenProcess(PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS, FALSE, pid); if (hProc) { NtSuspendProcess pNtSuspendProcess = (NtSuspendProcess)GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle(L"ntdll"), "NtSuspendProcess"); pNtSuspendProcess(hProc); CloseHandle(hProc); } } bool GetProcInfo(const std::wstring name, PROCESSENTRY32 &pe32) { bool found = false; HANDLE hSnap; pe32.dwSize = sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32); hSnap = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS, 0); if (hSnap) { if (Process32First(hSnap, &pe32)) { do { if (name == pe32.szExeFile) { found = true; break; } } while (Process32NextW(hSnap, &pe32)); } CloseHandle(hSnap); } return found; } bool GetProcInfo(DWORD pid, PROCESSENTRY32 &pe32) { bool found = false; HANDLE hSnap; pe32.dwSize = sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32); hSnap = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS, 0); if (hSnap) { if (Process32First(hSnap, &pe32)) { do { if (pid == pe32.th32ProcessID) { found = true; break; } } while (Process32NextW(hSnap, &pe32)); } CloseHandle(hSnap); } return found; }[/quote]

Hydranix, May 31, 2016
  14. I created a new folder on Desktop and downloaded the .zip file. After I extracted the file, I run the bitsdadmin buster.exe as an Administrator. I also found the program in Background processes. I waited until bitsadmin popped up but I didn't get an info link or anything just the cmd.exe running with some text.(You can see screenshot) Your program also created a bitsadmin_info.txt file with only one line "Parent Process Name: cmd.exe". Can you advise me what to do next? Thanks

tkrisz0403, May 31, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    to see exactly what is downloading from where, use this:

Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | select -ExpandProperty FileList | Select -ExpandProperty RemoteName

eg: output

Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | select -ExpandProperty FileList | Select -ExpandProperty RemoteName http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...entintl-es-es_e4fd9148b340b88749168889b6c1d16 22142cd1d.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...pack-x-none_abcb4c38ba24d2604f41627e7239ffe87 4ed328b.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...-x-none_d26ff402da11f90e52e2628622ae35aceeb1d fb3.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...oint-x-none_09f6f08b9fa32d45df0a3ea9aef138fb7 0c3d796.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...20-x-none_bfbff3fbd92db33dbd6aaf6e40af803f35c 366e6.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...-none_efb7db8acecd7058aa59396646d40d7bfef8f41 5.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...x-none_048fcaebbf5ef27800c68d4231fe9d40f2190f c4.cab http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate...-none_3870756cfe700509a4fb55f98499b0f7c2996b2 d.cab[/quote] If nothing is returned, BITS has nothing in it's queue. If then BitAdmin is displaying errors, some rogue app may be trying to transfer files... but that will require some HitmanPro troubleshooting.

Superfly, May 31, 2016
Thema:

Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

1. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears. - Similar Threads - Bitsadmin pops randomly

2. How can I stop this window from randomly popping up and disappearing immediately?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop this window from randomly popping up and disappearing immediately?: Hello everyone,I was hoping someone could help me stop this thing, it is so frustrating Screenshot hereTried Anti malware scans, but it just doesn't work. tried to go to the directory and found nothing there.Sorry for my terrible writing.Thank you....
  3. How can I stop this window from randomly popping up and disappearing immediately?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I stop this window from randomly popping up and disappearing immediately?: Hello everyone,I was hoping someone could help me stop this thing, it is so frustrating Screenshot hereTried Anti malware scans, but it just doesn't work. tried to go to the directory and found nothing there.Sorry for my terrible writing.Thank you....
  4. How can I stop this window from randomly popping up and disappearing immediately?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediatly disappears (take 2?)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediatly disappears (take 2?): I hate to start naming people off here like an assembly line, but I find myself in the same situation as @tkrisz0403 in that my Command Prompt, accompanied by the exact same text as the former case, as seen in the first screen shot I provide which I managed to capture using...
  6. Bitsadmin pops up for just a second and vanishes.

Bitsadmin pops up for just a second and vanishes.: I manged to get a screenshot of it. Screenshot I have gone through and read one thread that looks as if I am having the exact problem as them, but I did not want to go off of someone else's problems even though they are very similar to mine. I have noticed that Superfly...
  7. cmd window popping up with a message about BITSAdmin

cmd window popping up with a message about BITSAdmin: Hi I recently got a new laptop and I think I might have downloaded a virus or spyware while downloading something else. The command prompt window randomly pops up and disappears within a split second. It doesn't seem to do anything when I'm in the desktop mode, but when I...
  8. Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.

Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.: During the day a cmd window will pop up and immediately disappear without warning, kicking me out of fullscreen applications and being a general annoyance. I suspect something more sinister but Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware have failed to find the source...
  9. I have Bitsadmin pop ups but can't get Bitsadmin buster to do anything

in Windows 10 Support
    I have Bitsadmin pop ups but can't get Bitsadmin buster to do anything: So I have Bitsadmin pop ups as I've seen mentioned in a few threads here. Everything seems to come back to trying Hydranix's Bitsadmin buster first but I can't even get the first step to work. I download it and it asks me if I want to let it make changes to the computer. I...
  10. BitsAdmin popping up and AdwCleaner question

in Windows 10 Support
    BitsAdmin popping up and AdwCleaner question: Hello! I kind of just made an account after finding help about my bitsadmin popping up out of nowhere and ran into another problem, but alas that was an old conversation. I'd like help with that, but im guessing i need to start a new thread? (though i'm not sure how to lol)...