Windows 10: Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop

Discus and support Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So like a month or two I started experiencing weird issues related to the windows desktop and maybe the GPU. This happens most often while watching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SwiftKetchup803, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop

So like a month or two I started experiencing weird issues related to the windows desktop and maybe the GPU. This happens most often while watching something on youtube, but it has happened seemingly randomly as well.

In a moment everything would just "freeze". Now when I say freeze, I don't mean the system becomes totally unresponsive, although it might as well be like that. I can still see the desktop and interact with it somewhat. To me it seems like the interface itself isn't refreshing itself. I could for example minimise the browser btw the choice of browser doesn't matter, same thing happens be it edge, firefox or chromium but when i try to maximise it nothing happens. Same with accents when hovering over stuff in the taskbar. I hover with my mouse over items in the taskbar and they would be highlighted but if i move my mouse away, the last item stays highlighted. Start menu also. I bring it up and i can't do anything in it. I press the shutdown button but nothing happens. Task manager same thing. I bring it up, check it and then it just gives up on minimising and maximising. Also the task manager reports my GPU utilization as -1% at that moment.

I have already put my GPU through so many stress tests that I can rule it out as being the problem. Games also work as they should and that problem never occurs while i'm inside of a game. I have DDU'd the drivers multiple times and even reinstalled windows to no avail. Sometimes the issue crops up every few hours, sometimes it doesn't show up for a couple of days. The temps are all normal, the GPU never goes above 66 degrees and the cpu never above 45. Nothing is OC'd and i even went as far as lending the GPU to a friend for a couple of days and he had no issues. My guess is probably a BIOS option or an obscure windows setting that got transferred when i reinstalled windows. The problem is, everything i tried did absolutely nothing and i can't find anything on the internet that sounds remotely close to the problem i have. The event viewer shows nothing when that happens except for the hard shutdown i am forced to do when the problem occurs. The CPU and/or RAM are also out of the picture because i upgraded a month ago and still had the same issue.

My config:

Ryzen 3600XT

ASUS Prime X470-Pro

32GB 3200MHz RAM

GeForce RTX2070

Windows 10 Pro 20H2

If there are some more details that needs to be posted i will of course do that because this has become quite a headache for the past 2 or so weeks especially as I am working from home and i sweat everytime when working praying that the problem doesn't come up right as I go and save my projects.

:)

SwiftKetchup803, Oct 26, 2020
  2. Barman58 Win User

Bizarre video problem persists after formats

As the Issue has returned I can only suggest that you follow the advice I gave earlier to use the DDU program to completely remove all traces of the existing driver (The remove Driver files in the OS removal option can leave some remnants that may, or may not, cause future (the current), issues

Bizarre video problem persists after formats - Windows 10 Forums

Barman58, Oct 26, 2020
  3. ss2020 Win User
    Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)

What happened:
    • all desktop items, including folders, opened in Libreoffice Writer; once open it displayed a blank document then began flickering as if it had bugged while scrolling
    • opened Task Manager from the task bar, selecting the second tab opened the final tab, which began flickering like Libreoffice
    • problems stopped after a restart, then occurred again after another restart; then stopped after the PC ran for a short time
    • no error popups or BSODs
    • she said Candycrush reported an error earlier but it didn't occur when I looked at it; she said it mentioned "something about the desktop"

Steps I've taken:
    • did a quick virus scan then reboot scan with Windows Defender; no problems found
    • sfc /scannow; no problems found
    • installed update KB4537572 and upgraded system to 1909; updates appear to have been successful, no other updates available

At the moment the problem has disappeared, but since it reoccurred previously I'm not sure it hasn't been fixed.

I'm out of ideas. What else can I check and what other tests can I run? Based on the given information could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

ss2020, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop

Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop

1. Bizarre GPU problems while on desktop - Similar Threads - Bizarre GPU problems

2. Bizarre audio problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre audio problem.: I am experiencing a complete cut from my audio, among other coinciding issues, after using my computer for 5-7 minutes after restart. The problem is resolved temporarily when I reset my computer, however after a short while, my output ceases to play from all audio devices....
  3. Bizarre audio problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bizarre audio problem.: I am experiencing a complete cut from my audio, among other coinciding issues, after using my computer for 5-7 minutes after restart. The problem is resolved temporarily when I reset my computer, however after a short while, my output ceases to play from all audio devices....
  4. Bizarre network connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre network connection problem: Hello everyone,I wonder if someone might be knowledgeable enough to advise me, please? Recently in the course of the last 10 days or so I've encountered a very bizarre network connectivity problem.Straight off: this problem has nothing to do with browsers. I've cleaned up...
  5. Bizarre network connection problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bizarre network connection problem: Hello everyone,I wonder if someone might be knowledgeable enough to advise me, please? Recently in the course of the last 10 days or so I've encountered a very bizarre network connectivity problem.Straight off: this problem has nothing to do with browsers. I've cleaned up...
  6. Bizarre driver problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bizarre driver problem: I'm sort of at the end of my rope trying to figure this one out so I'd appreciate any insight.Not too long ago my laptop's touchpad began clicking when tapped despite my having disabled that a long time ago. It was also active while my mouse was plugged in which was another...
  7. Bizarre driver problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre driver problem: I'm sort of at the end of my rope trying to figure this one out so I'd appreciate any insight.Not too long ago my laptop's touchpad began clicking when tapped despite my having disabled that a long time ago. It was also active while my mouse was plugged in which was another...
  8. Bizarre driver problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Bizarre Font Installation problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bizarre Font Installation problem: Hey fam So some really bizarre shit is happening to me, and I'm at the end of my rope after basically none of my solutions, or the ones I was able to find online have worked. The type of problem I'm having is so niche I'm not even sure how to word it in Google to find the...
  10. A bizarre problem

in Windows 10 Support
    A bizarre problem: I've had this problem for a while now. The buttons on my taskbar don't work. launching programs works fine, but opening the start menu, volume controller, wifi controller, search do nothing. no errors, no complaints, no freezing. Just. Nothing. Ive been making do with the run...