Windows 10: " .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to...

Discus and support " .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since 1996, I successfully saved files from an IBM W95 desktop to an Acer Wxp 2007, which has now died. Fortunately I had backed-up the Acer Wxp to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GracePhil, Jun 21, 2020.

1. GracePhil Win User

" .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to...

Since 1996, I successfully saved files from an IBM W95 desktop to an Acer Wxp 2007, which has now died.

Fortunately I had backed-up the Acer Wxp to a Seagate external 1Tb drive via USB 3.0 connection but now cannot restore the XP’s .bkf file to 2019 Lenovo W10 system.

Could you please advise what I must now do to be able to access the .bkf files incl 3rd party applications and data files now only accessible on the external Seagate drive, and then to include them in the Lenovo W10 computer – without compromising the W10 system’s operational programs or the Seagate’s stored software programs & associated data backed up from the 2007 WindowsXP – some of which covers input over a period of 25 years!

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated and go a long way towards restoring my underlying belief that Microsoft puts it’s customers’ interests first.

Many thanks, stay well, stay safe.

Phil Grace

:)

GracePhil, Jun 21, 2020
  2. [rlf] Win User

Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

I need to back up old hard drive running XP (I know, ancient history, trying to remedy that) to external drive (500 GB My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive USB 2.0), so I can switch to new hard drive running Windows 10. Does XP have software
    that will run full system backup (not just document files) to the external drive? Thanks.

[rlf], Jun 21, 2020
  3. Restoring backed up files from Windows XP to Windows 10

Follow the instructions
    here
    to retrieve files from an XP backup.

RobertJWin, Jun 21, 2020
  4. " .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to...

Opening .bkf files in Windows 10

Hi Joan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open .bkf file. I would suggest you to copy the .bkf file to a external hard drive and connect the hard drive to a Windows Vista system. Now try converting the .bkf file to a normal file and try copying
    the normal file to Windows 10 and check.

If it doesn’t help, you can also try downloading third party software and check.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third
    Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

" .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to...

1. " .bkf " : how to migrate backed-up XP files from external drive XP platform has died to... - Similar Threads - bkf migrate backed

2. How to Restore Windows XP BKF Files on Windows 11 Computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Restore Windows XP BKF Files on Windows 11 Computer?: Moving data from Windows XP to Windows 11 is not such an easy task. First, you'll need to make a backup of all the data in Windows XP using the NTBackup utility, which will be saved in BKF format on your hard drive. After that, you can move that backup file to your Windows 11...
  3. How to Restore Windows XP BKF Files on Windows 11 Computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Restore Windows XP BKF Files on Windows 11 Computer?: Moving data from Windows XP to Windows 11 is not such an easy task. First, you'll need to make a backup of all the data in Windows XP using the NTBackup utility, which will be saved in BKF format on your hard drive. After that, you can move that backup file to your Windows 11...
  4. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive: I need to back up old hard drive running XP I know, ancient history, trying to remedy that to external drive 500 GB My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive USB 2.0, so I can switch to new hard drive running Windows 10. Does XP have software that will run full system...
  5. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive: I need to back up old hard drive running XP I know, ancient history, trying to remedy that to external drive 500 GB My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive USB 2.0, so I can switch to new hard drive running Windows 10. Does XP have software that will run full system...
  6. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

8. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

9. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Need help backing up old hard drive running XP to external drive