Windows 10: BkUps, 2 ext USB drives 1-for Acronis, 2nd for Sys Image Backup. Fails

Discus and support BkUps, 2 ext USB drives 1-for Acronis, 2nd for Sys Image Backup. Fails in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; We had a HDD crash at our church. I had a disk image of the PC. The restore failed, I was able to extract some important files by attaching the backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Neuges, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Neuges Win User

BkUps, 2 ext USB drives 1-for Acronis, 2nd for Sys Image Backup. Fails

We had a HDD crash at our church. I had a disk image of the PC. The restore failed, I was able to extract some important files by attaching the backup as VHD. I have Acronis 2016 on my PC’s at home, but not at church. I have rebuilt the Win 10 PC and installed all software. Since this disaster I want to install 2 external HDD’s. One for Acronis 2017, the 2nd Win 10 disk Image & file history. I installed Acronis 2017, backed up the disk. I then plugged in the 2nd USB external, File History was generated OK, but when I tried to create a System Image Backup got this error. “This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment” I’m using 120 GB SATA’s in an USB 3.0 enclosure until my 1 TB drives arrive. Any suggestions?

:)

Neuges, Apr 13, 2017

2. Does System Image Backup include a File History backup

Old title : File History and System Image Backup

What do I look for on my external hard drive to verify that:

1) File History backup was successful (date and size) and that it included all my Outlook files and

2) that my System Image Backup was successful (date and size)?

3) Does Sys Image Bkup include a File History bkup?

Thanks

RichardBoyerFL, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Apr 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Wait until you have Windows running from an HDD or SSD that is permanently installed in the computer on an internal SATA port. As you have discovered, built-in Windows image backup and restore is very unreliable and I wouldn't waste any time using it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    This issue has been around since before Windows 10. How to tell you PC it's not actually a 'portable workstation environment' using Regedit is here, along with this explanation...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-f6274987f1d6

Actually, you don't need to clean the disk as suggested. Diskpart has a UNIQUEID option that can show you the (apparently not so) unique ID for each disk, and let you change one of them if they turn out to be the same. If you need to, then change the ID of the USB drive, you shouldn't risk tampering with the Windows system drive.

Of course, if there's nothing you need to keep on the USB, then cleaning it is still the easiest option.

6. Neuges Win User
    Did a clean re-initialized all good now. Thanks for the tip

Neuges, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BkUps, 2 ext USB drives 1-for Acronis, 2nd for Sys Image Backup. Fails - Similar Threads - BkUps ext USB

2. Image Backup Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Backup Failed: Got a message that my regular image backup failed. The reason was stated as"Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition ESP.This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation.Details: Access is denied."I...
  3. Image Backup Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Image Backup Failed: Got a message that my regular image backup failed. The reason was stated as"Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition ESP.This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation.Details: Access is denied."I...
  4. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool: Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The partitions that get restored end up with a slightly corrupt NTFS records. Sometimes this is only evident after seeing driver...
  5. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool: Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The partitions that get restored end up with a slightly corrupt NTFS records. Sometimes this is only evident after seeing driver...
  6. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. image backup failed

image backup failed: while going for image backup , it is automatically selecting ""unmanned drive system"" along with c:/ drive and the error says "" one of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not a fixed drive ,is not formatted NTFS/ReFS,or is read only . To...
  8. Windows image backup on network drive fails

Windows image backup on network drive fails: I thought I was a well versed person, so I set up a drive with a folder called Client Computer Backup. From another machine, I tried to set up a system image backup to that shared folder. First, I added a user account called Backup. I have the "requiring a password" option...
  9. sys image backup does not work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    sys image backup does not work: I am using an ASUS A88XM-A mother board. I have made several system image backups on several different external drives. When i have tried to recover my system with the the backup drives I get the message the file format is incorrect ntfs your bios is set to EFI?. This is...
  10. Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive: Hi I have been trying to setup a scheduled backup (Windows 7 Backup and restore) on Windows 10. I want to include a system image of the C: drive as part of the back up and save it to the D: drive. However Windows wont let me save the image on the D: drive, I think because...